Hi - own a Max 260 with a 20 nano otw

stratozyck

Hi all just discovered this forum exists. I had a small planted tank before deciding to get into saltwater and decided on the Max 260 to make up for my ignorance. That was 7 months ago.

I love it! I am becoming more aware of the quality and the differences between Red Sea and the others.

Originally I intensed on getting an additional larger Red Sea tank but after 7 months I am thinking more small tanks are better than one big one.

I have a Nano 20G on the way and I decided to follow the Red Sea Care program to a T on this new one. I have Acros doing fine in the other so I am curious to see if I can do better if I do things right from the get go!

stratozyck

Sure here is my Red Sea 260:
http://i.imgur.com/MIOSA1Q.jpg

Originally when I got this I didn't care about coral and was really interested sand burrowing creatures and shrimp. I have a DSB and a large cave structure because of that. I have only a goby/shrimp pair at the moment but am interested in eventually adding other DSB creatures.

I just saw on my tracking my nano is arriving tomorrow! It was supposed to arrive Monday so I am excited. I am going to specialize that towards acros, I didn't intend on adding them but now I have 4. When I started out I hardly noticed corals and got the Red Sea "just in case."

Behind the rock is a large flat valley of sand that has 2 corals that I think eventually will grow to peek above the rocks.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
MIOSA1Q.jpg

DaveK

The choice between one large tank and multiple smaller ones comes down to what you want out of the hobby. The smaller tanks are going to require more total work to maintain them, and will cost more to setup and run. The advantage is that you can keep things in the individual tanks that can't be kept together. The downside is that the small tanks limit what can be kept, since some fish require very large tanks. I also think that a large tank, properly done, has that "wow factor" your never going to get out of a small tank.

Pat24601

The choice between one large tank and multiple smaller ones comes down to what you want out of the hobby. The smaller tanks are going to require more total work to maintain them, and will cost more to setup and run. The advantage is that you can keep things in the individual tanks that can't be kept together. The downside is that the small tanks limit what can be kept, since some fish require very large tanks. I also think that a large tank, properly done, has that "wow factor" your never going to get out of a small tank.

Can you talk my wife into letting me get a larger tank?

DaveK

You just have to know how to do it. You start talking about a 300 gal tank and how it would look fantastic and so on, and then settle on that 100 gal tank you actually want (grin)

Nobbygas

Ha, ha, you have to 'play the game'. She Who Casts No Shadow is one of those people who is 'always right'. So, I had the space allocated for my new tank in the house. I wanted the S-650. I huffed and puffed, measured up, and told her I didn't think the S-650 would fit, so I'd best get the S-500.
She told me I was wrong, grabbed the tape measure, measured up, and announced that yes indeed, the S-650 would fit, and that once again I wasn't to be trusted with a tape measure. "Get the bigger one. It will fit!"

So, once the S-650 was constructed, she took one look and said, "it is a bit big isn't it!".

Pat24601

Ha, ha, you have to 'play the game'. She Who Casts No Shadow is one of those people who is 'always right'. So, I had the space allocated for my new tank in the house. I wanted the S-650. I huffed and puffed, measured up, and told her I didn't think the S-650 would fit, so I'd best get the S-500.
She told me I was wrong, grabbed the tape measure, measured up, and announced that yes indeed, the S-650 would fit, and that once again I wasn't to be trusted with a tape measure. "Get the bigger one. It will fit!"

So, once the S-650 was constructed, she took one look and said, "it is a bit big isn't it!".

That seems like an effective method! Anytime your spouse is telling you to get a bigger tank, that's good!

My wife is better with a tape measure than me anyway. I mean, I measure fine, but she visualizes how it will really look a lot better.

Last edited: