Cure & cycle?

Jay lamothe

So I'm changing from a 30 gallon to a 90 gallon. I'm starting the new tank with all new (dry) rock, new live sand. My question is can I cure the rock in the tank as I cycle the new tank? I will be seeding with some sand and a small rock from my 30 gallon. The reason I'm only "seeding" with a little sand and a small rock is to try my best to avoid any hitch hikers. My 30 gallon has a few bristle worms. I aware they are not the "worst" things to have in a tank bit of lime to avoid it if possible! Thanks guys!

DaveK

There is no need to cure dry rock, so you can skip that process. You do still need to cycle the tank.

How long have you had the 30 gal tank set up? If it's any length of time, you likely found all the really problem hitchhikers.

Bristle worms, unless they get really large, are actually beneficial to a reef tank. Also, once you add a new coral you have a chance of introducing new hitchhikers. That's just the way it works. However it's usually a good idea to dip corals to remove most of the problem hitchhikers.

Taking all that into account, what your planning isn't going to hurt anything, but it's sure a lot of work to avoid hitchhikers.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie: