Britnei Green

I am new to the saltwater reef hobby. I Currently live in Chesapeake Virginia. I started my tank after seeing my sister's 4 year old tank, and my son begged me start one for him. I started my tank in December of last year and, I have to say, I really enjoy this hobby! Now I have had some bumps along the way, one being I didn't know how expensive it was to start up, but once I took my time, I have to say I can watch it all day. Fast forwarding to today I currently have 2 clownfish, 2 blue damsel one with a yellow tip and a watchmen goby, my green pistol shrimp has yet to come in. I'm hoping they will pair up, also 3 peppermint shrimp that I call the 3 musketeers because they are always doing something. Well my other bump comes from going to petco and purchasing and anemone, which the lady told me would host my clownfish just put them in a small space together. I said what type of anemone is this she said a purple tip. ..ok , well I get home and I put them in a space together after acclimation, and the anemone and these clownfish don't even come in contact with each other at all. So I went to do some research on the anemone that I have... A Haitian Anemone! No clownfish don't host them!... yes they are hella aggressive, but the funny thing is my yellow tip damsel constantly goes to it, like it wants to host it. I'm not sure what to do with it at this point. It's in the back of the tank no issue except it's all over the tank. ( I have powerhead protectors)
But I really don't want to put anything in my tank, Right now because, that anemone is all over place. Lesson learned NO MORE PETCO FOR NOTHING, I MEAN NOTHING! I know I had a lot to say but, I had to vent! Are there any peaceful anemone.

DaveK

Welcome to the group.

Yes, SW systems can get expensive. There is a lot of gear out there that you get, some is critical, but a lot is optional. I recommend always getting top quality equipment. Long term it's less expensive because it will last. You will not be replacing the junk gear that just never seems to work out.

The anemone and the information you got from your LFS is typical. Most places only have one or two people knowledgeable in this area, at best. With a chain, it would be unlikely to have anyone that knew what they were doing.

Most of the large anemones are aggressive in that if something gets into them, they will try to eat it. However the smaller anemones like zoas and mushrooms are usually not bad, and are a lot easier to keep. They don't tend to roam around much either. You could return the anemone you have and get some of those.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

a great read...

http://www.karensroseanemones.net/beforeyoubuyone.htm