My new project

fortunato

So, i have decided to get someone to drill my tank.
Not going do it all by myself, and got someone who knows how to do it.

I am considering drilling 2 holes:
1 that goes directly into the skimmer and other one to go directly to the sump.

What do you think?
Is this a good option, or should I just drill one hole and divide the flow between the skimmer and the Sump?

SPR

So, my tank keeps giving me the hard time.
Remember to not want to do things in a hurry.

So I have put it in complete dark for about 2 days and reduced the photoperiod quite a bit.
I believe things are getting a little bit better.
Reduced the amount of food and just feed the anemone directly with raw unfrozen shrimp. Fed the guys one also.

I believe the liquid of the frozen mysis is also contibuiting for the algae growth, so I will start rinsing it befores feeding the fishes and feed them with a pipette.
Fish and corals keep doing great.
Have you tested your water parameters ? Nitrate, phosphate etc?

Also if your doing the blackout (like I did) it's 3 complete days in complete darkness or as dark as you can get it? I had Dino's but not sure from the photos as not that clear.

fortunato

I have drilled the 2 holes and now the levels are finally stable. I have de RO and the UV set and running so lets start to get things the right way.
The brown stuff has gone so things are getting great.

Enviado do meu SM-N910F através de Tapatalk

fortunato

fc007a9fb4ed2404ac86b52a9ff06251.jpg

Draining pipe

70c3d73572e641b7ac62d5f096c12d2b.jpg

The skimmer connection.

Enviado do meu SM-N910F através de Tapatalk

fortunato

I've been monitoring the water levels. They are stable anda and no variations since the holes have been drilled.
I have also set up an Auto top Off system, with RO and UV filtering water. this is also working properly.
And also added a new JEBAO RW8 pump for flow.

So I have added 1 Chaetodon auriga, who has controlled the aiptasia and one Centropyge bispinosus, who is very shy and that I was not expecting.
He is always in the back of the tank or in the middle of the discossomas and sarcophyton.

20161023_123817_zpszwbwvyd3.jpg

The auriga is eating very well, but I do not see the bispinosus eating and I'm getting a bit worried.
What should I feed them to entice the bispinosus eating?
I was planning to make my own food with some shrimp, scallop, salmon, mussels, carrots, brocolli, peas and mix all this into a mush and add some chunks of this ingredients and also add some pieces of nori so the fish have something to "chew".

Enough talking and let's get to the pics:

An overview
20161023_123702_zpsadtxtn8f.jpg

The central corals
20161023_1235111_zpsbzvlie01.jpg

Desjardinii and Naso vlamingii
20161023_123737_zpsw4zsehvf.jpg

20161023_123745_zps2hqsk7i5.jpg

20161023_123749_zpswyo14xjj.jpg

Z. flavescens and "Dory"
20161023_123727_zpsswcg1coh.jpg

The blues brothers (Amphiprion ocellaris B&W)
20161023_123717_zpse16il9ap.jpg

Chaetodon auriga
20161023_123734_zps40nhvfm8.jpg

One of my 3 sabellas
20161023_123758_zpsgyhjb8t9.jpg

Close up bispinosus
20161023_123812_zpsaqyuc1tu.jpg

Pterapogon kaudernii
20161023_123819_zpssjjubrjw.jpg

A little clip showing all this in movement

Oxylebius

Centropyge bispinosus, who is very shy and that I was not expecting.

Shy is normal for this fish. As long as it isn't being picked on, it will get used to the tank and will come out more in time.

Has it started to eat yet?

You can try buying liquid vitamins and soak dried algae in it to entice the fish to eat. I use selcon and it works well.

fortunato

hey guys, a new update on my tank.

So unfortunatly the bispinosus has died (found him dead on the rocks).
All other fishes are fine.
Added a few cardinal, and did not went to well. the one I had had bullyed the others 3 and I believe he has killed one of them.

So, for now my fauna is:
1 Z. desjardinii
1 P. hepatus
1 N. vlamingy
3 B&W ocellaris
1 L. dimiatus
1 Z. flavescens
3 P. kaudernii
1 O. falco

I was thinking in changing the desjardinii and vlamingy for a imperator or a navarchus.
What do you guys think?

fortunato

Sooooo.

Hello again people.
I have made a few changes on my tank.

I have removed the desjardinii and the hepatus.
They were bullying the newcomers, so they had to go.
Now I have a new bully: O. falco.
I have bought a couple of valencianas and he chased them all around until they have desapeared. I believe dead. So I have a problem in having grownd dwelling fishes. I believe I have to find more hermit crabs to help clean the sand. If you guys have some suggestion on this, please do share it.
Also bought another auriga, one loriculus and a Diadema.
Now waiting the things to settle down and get more controled so I can invest in new fishes. Maybe the C. collare and a C. bispinosus.

I have fixed the cyano problem.
Unfortunatly it was fixed with some Antibiotic. I also had to buy a new RO system, because the one I had was not functioning properly and the water had 220 ppm. So bought a new one and now this are getting into control.
The Deltec skimmer has broked down, so I had to find some spares to fix it, and it is fully repaired and working.

I have also added a fluidized filter with phospex, to help control algae growth.
I have also added some liquid elements (trace and other). I am using Corall from Grotech.
Also ading some Zooplankton from Seachem.

Had a problem with my Euphilia who have died from Brown Jelly disease.
And the rest is going slowly.

fortunato

Hello again.

This time not good news. do not know what happened but all my reef has died.

Now I'm starting again.

Replaced the majority of the water, bought a new skimmer, some dead coral rock and a bunch of turbo snails, strombus and a sand sifting star.

Going very easy this time.
Do not want to make the same mistakes made before