Protein Skimmer Suggestions

dbetts

I am wanting to purchase a HOB protein skimmer for my 55 gallon tank. I am planning on going to my LFS after work today in order to look at ones they have, but thought I'd also check out Amazon as well. Assuming Amazon has cheaper prices (which is almost always true) I picked out two different ones. I thought I'd ask you all for your opinions. Here are the two I picked out so far:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVE7NNG/?tag=reefsanc-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CTBB3H6/?tag=reefsanc-20

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

DaveK

@nanoreefing4fun has beat me to it and recommended most of the same skimmers I would have.

I have an AquaC remora for my 30 gal reef, and like it a lot. However, the other recommended skimmers are good too.

Be very careful when shopping for a skimmer. There are a lot of skimmers that are out and out junk, and others that at best are marginal. Manufacturers tend to be a "bit optimistic" when it comes to skimmer ratings, so get one rated for a tank about double the size you plan to run it on. In your case look for a skimmer rated for about a 100 gal tank.

dbetts

Manufacturers tend to be a "bit optimistic" when it comes to skimmer ratings, so get one rated for a tank about double the size you plan to run it on. In your case look for a skimmer rated for about a 100 gal tank.

That is what I have been noticing other people say as well. I will stick with your advice on the 100 gallon rule. Thanks!

It'll be between the Reef Octopus and the Aqua Excel I think. Unless someone posts a better recommendation. The remora looks like it would be great, but a little more expensive than I want to spend unfortunately.

DaveK

That is what I have been noticing other people say as well. I will stick with your advice on the 100 gallon rule. Thanks!

It'll be between the Reef Octopus and the Aqua Excel I think. Unless someone posts a better recommendation. The remora looks like it would be great, but a little more expensive than I want to spend unfortunately.

If I were making the choice, I'd go with the reef octopus. I've got a couple of their other products and I've been impressed.

dbetts

So I went to the LFS yesterday and they only had one skimmer, and I didn't like it (mainly because it stuck up from the tank so high and won't work where I have the tank). But they had Fluval Canister Filters and was wondering if anyone has used them and if you like them? I assume they would be in addition to a protein skimmer and just offer extra filtration?

As for the skimmer, I think I will go with the Reef Octopus. Thanks for all of your input! It has been extremely helpful!

DaveK

Well, at least you learned about LFSs and shopping there. (grin)

I am not a big fan of canister filters on a SW reef system. Unless you clean them about every week, they rend to become dirt traps, and nitrate factories. In this state they are also big oxygen consumers.

If we were talking about other kinds of aquarium systems, such as a FW planted tank, then canister filters are ideal, and I'd highly recommend one.

On the Fluval, it a good filter and will last years. A couple of others to consider are Sun Sun, which are a real bargain, and Eheim which is very high end and fairly expensive for some models. Even so I still don't recommend them.

Your tank is a 55, which puts it in a gray area, in that you could go with what you have or you could add an overflow, skimmer, and optionally a refugium. This is kind of a tough call because while it's a desirable filtration system, all those "goodies" are going to cost quite a bit. Now you into the area where upgrading the tank isn't "that much more". I recommend you stay with more or less what you have plus a skimmer and maybe powerheads. Hold off doing a sump and so on, wait for your next system that is much larger. That way you'll be right at the most cost effective point.

dbetts

Sounds great DaveK! Thanks for the input! I had no clue about the canisters; I just saw it while at my LFS so I thought I'd ask. Kind of what I assumed honestly since I have never really read about them.

I have decided on the Reef Octopus and ordered it today. It is already begun being shipped and it's actually really close to me. So I should have it very soon. :)

DaveK

If you take nothing else away from this forum, learn that many LFSs have very little knowledge about any type of advanced aquarium system. Others may only have 1 or 2 knowledgeable people. They also will limit themselves to selling you what they have in stock.

Still there are some very good ones out there, and when you do find one buy from them. Verify everything they tell you before you spend your money.

You also run in to the problem where the LFS has the product, but the online price is a lot less. That's a tough call. Let's say the new lighting system you want costs $2,500 from you LFS, but only $2,250 (with shipping) from an online store. Yes, it's only a 10% difference in price, but then again $250 is $250.

Last edited: