Using Foam Insulation in a sump

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
So I have been having issues with my return pump vibrating, even with the rubber feet on it. It was suggested to me to use the expanded polystyrene foam sheet insulation, that you buy at Lowes, like I sat my sump on. Is this safe, does it leach anything?

DaveK

I'm not a fan of it because the material is soft and porous. Also, unless the sump and where you place it are acting as a sound board, it may not make that much difference.

If you pump is connected using soft PVC tubing, you can do a simple test. While it's running, lift the pump off the sump, just enough so it's not touching. If it is silent now, you need to work on the pump mounting. If your still getting noise, the source is someplace else.

Assuming it's the pump, first make sure it's working right and it's clean, even on the inside. A worn or damaged impeller can cause all sorts of problems.

If the pump checks out, and it likely will, your nest step is to isolate the pump from the sump. In other words you want to mount it in such a way that it doesn't touch the sump directly. One quick fix is to place a filter pad under the pump. It's not ideal, but may solve the noise issue.

My personal preference is to suspend the pump away from the sump. To do this, you use some very heavy nylon fish line or string, and hang the pump using it. You only need to get it just off the bottom. You might need to make something of a sling to mount the pump. If your sump is inside your stand, you can usually find or mount a cross piece to the stand and suspend the pump from that. If the sump is outside the stand, you can still mount something from the stand so you can suspend the pump. Think in terms of how some pendant lighting is suspended.

This method can even be used on an externally mounted pump, but you usually need to mount the pump to a base of some sort first.

Another alternative is you have lots of money is to just replace the pump. The newer DC controlled pumps usually come with rubber feet and are extremely quiet.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I am a little confused. I think of the insulation as hard/brittle.
I hold the pump up and the vibration stops. I thought if the insulation doesn't leach anything, it would be be better since it would not trap detritus like filter pad?

I'm not a fan of it because the material is soft and porous. Also, unless the sump and where you place it are acting as a sound board, it may not make that much difference.

If you pump is connected using soft PVC tubing, you can do a simple test. While it's running, lift the pump off the sump, just enough so it's not touching. If it is silent now, you need to work on the pump mounting. If your still getting noise, the source is someplace else.

Assuming it's the pump, first make sure it's working right and it's clean, even on the inside. A worn or damaged impeller can cause all sorts of problems.

If the pump checks out, and it likely will, your nest step is to isolate the pump from the sump. In other words you want to mount it in such a way that it doesn't touch the sump directly. One quick fix is to place a filter pad under the pump. It's not ideal, but may solve the noise issue.

My personal preference is to suspend the pump away from the sump. To do this, you use some very heavy nylon fish line or string, and hang the pump using it. You only need to get it just off the bottom. You might need to make something of a sling to mount the pump. If your sump is inside your stand, you can usually find or mount a cross piece to the stand and suspend the pump from that. If the sump is outside the stand, you can still mount something from the stand so you can suspend the pump. Think in terms of how some pendant lighting is suspended.

This method can even be used on an externally mounted pump, but you usually need to mount the pump to a base of some sort first.

Another alternative is you have lots of money is to just replace the pump. The newer DC controlled pumps usually come with rubber feet and are extremely quiet.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Good morning,
You can also just suspend the pump from the return line so it is not touching the bottom. Just shorten the line until it is off the bottom of the sump. Half inch should be plenty.

I agree with Dave that the pump may be worn and need repair or replacement.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

DaveK

I am a little confused. I think of the insulation as hard/brittle.
I hold the pump up and the vibration stops. I thought if the insulation doesn't leach anything, it would be be better since it would not trap detritus like filter pad?

The insulation material I'm thinking of is hard, in that it breaks if you bend it, but it's also brittle. If I'm remembering everything correctly, it's called a closed cell foam insulation, something like this (offsite) http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...uared-Edge-Insulation-Sheathing-45W/100320352

On insulation leaching anything, I really don't know for sure, but considering that SW it very good at leaching things, I wouldn't use it. Like the rule for comas, "when in doubt, leave it out".

Yes, a filter pad will trap some dirt, but it's not going to be a major collector, because you have no flow through it.

DaveK

You can also just suspend the pump from the return line so it is not touching the bottom. Just shorten the line until it is off the bottom of the sump. Half inch should be plenty. ...

You can do that, but I don't recommend it. The output connection on the pump is usually the weakest point on the pump housing, especially on the powerhead type pumps. You'd be putting a lot of stress in at the point where it enters the pump housing. Over the years, I've had several break off just in normal use.

mikejrice

Neoprene is the best route which happens to be what most mouse pads are made of.

Michael Rice
Elite Reef, Denver Colorado