HELP! Top for 250 reefer?

Jobu28

I am looking into getting a red sea reefer 250. I will be putting an eel it. Any suggestions for an escape proof top?

Oxylebius

@Jobu28

I had an eel a long time ago who had escaped often. They are really strong, so even with a screen cover I'd suggest securing it with something like velcro.

When it does escape on you, be aware that with the think slime coat that they have (they are scaleless, so they have more slime coating then most other fish) will keep them alive outside of the water for hours. It is pretty amazing really. Grab the eel and place it back in the tank and give it 24 hours w/out messing with it, it will likely return to normal behavior. Once mine got out sometime during the day hours and I didn't find it until the evening and round it behind the tank covered in dust bunnies, back in the tank it went dust and all, and it ended up being fine.

Have you taken care of eels before? If not, I have other advice I can share w/you. I used to feed wild eels as part of a science center educational experience. Just let me know.

Antics

This lid is expensive but it's extremely premium and nice looking. If I wanted a lid that didn't detract from the beauty of a rimless aquarium, I'd definitely go this route.

Artfully Acrylic Lids

I'm not sure if its Eel proof, but there are plenty of photos for you to see.

Jobu28

@Jobu28

I had an eel a long time ago who had escaped often. They are really strong, so even with a screen cover I'd suggest securing it with something like velcro.

When it does escape on you, be aware that with the think slime coat that they have (they are scaleless, so they have more slime coating then most other fish) will keep them alive outside of the water for hours. It is pretty amazing really. Grab the eel and place it back in the tank and give it 24 hours w/out messing with it, it will likely return to normal behavior. Once mine got out sometime during the day hours and I didn't find it until the evening and round it behind the tank covered in dust bunnies, back in the tank it went dust and all, and it ended up being fine.

Have you taken care of eels before? If not, I have other advice I can share w/you. I used to feed wild eels as part of a science center educational experience. Just let me know.

I have had eels before. But i am always willing to listen to more advice.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
@Jobu28

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members :nessie:

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

FCatCH76

What about having a glass top made? I made a cardboard template for my 350, just waiting to get to a glass shop to actually build.