semi-aggressive or peaceful tank?

mtamorrow

So the cycle is complete on my IM 30L and I am getting ready to do a water change.

Time to begin stocking.....

I will use a snail only CUC

I am completely undecided on stocking. I have 2 plans, 1 semi aggressive and the other peaceful. I would really like some experienced pro's and con's please, along with any general thoughts or opinions.

Semi-aggressive
1-yellowtail damsel
1-clown
1-orchid dotyback
1-jawfish
1-flame angel

peaceful

1-chromis
1-firefish
1-clown
1-goby
1-blenny
maybe 1 cardinal fish

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 45

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
  • Nice start !
  • For our tank, fish that play well together is a must, I want to see a peaceful tank, not one where some fish are bullying others... but that is just my preference

index.php

Coraljunkie

Wow, that rock scape is stunning.I'd go peaceful. The only time I'd go semi aggressive-aggressive is if I had a giant tank so I could have an eel and other aggressive fish

DaveK

I've got to come down on the membership here. The op seems to have a 30 gal tank. Now by the time you add live rock and a shallow sandbed, the 30 gal is down to about 22 gal of water, at best.

This is a very small tank. You typically need about 5 gal of water to support 1 inch of fish in a SW system. So stretching things a little we are talking about 5 inches of fish in total.

This is enough to support 2 to 3 small fish. You also need to allow for some growth. This means that you are going to need to cut your stocking way down.

Personally I'd leave out the damsels and chromis as they tend to get aggressive as they mature.

The orchid dotyback can also be very aggressive. I'd choose something else, most likely a royal grama. if you have to have the dottyback, add it last.

A jawfish is usually not a good choice, unless you have a deep sandbed. Yep, leave that out also, because a DSB in a tank that size will really lower the water volume.

The flame angel is a maybe. The might eat corals. It depends upon the individual fish. If your going to get one, have a plan B just in case things don't work out.

Of the remaining fish, choose 2 or three and go from there.

mtamorrow

I've got to come down on the membership here. The op seems to have a 30 gal tank. Now by the time you add live rock and a shallow sandbed, the 30 gal is down to about 22 gal of water, at best.

This is a very small tank. You typically need about 5 gal of water to support 1 inch of fish in a SW system. So stretching things a little we are talking about 5 inches of fish in total.

This is enough to support 2 to 3 small fish. You also need to allow for some growth. This means that you are going to need to cut your stocking way down.

Personally I'd leave out the damsels and chromis as they tend to get aggressive as they mature.

The orchid dotyback can also be very aggressive. I'd choose something else, most likely a royal grama. if you have to have the dottyback, add it last.

A jawfish is usually not a good choice, unless you have a deep sandbed. Yep, leave that out also, because a DSB in a tank that size will really lower the water volume.

The flame angel is a maybe. The might eat corals. It depends upon the individual fish. If your going to get one, have a plan B just in case things don't work out.

Of the remaining fish, choose 2 or three and go from there.
Thanks DaveK,
I appreciate your experience and advice,

I will be going peaceful, adding 1 at a time, over time.

I will start a build thread and would appreciate you and everyone else following along and offering up advice.

Thanks again

Oxylebius

So the cycle is complete on my IM 30L and I am getting ready to do a water change.

Time to begin stocking.....

I will use a snail only CUC

I am completely undecided on stocking. I have 2 plans, 1 semi aggressive and the other peaceful. I would really like some experienced pro's and con's please, along with any general thoughts or opinions.

Semi-aggressive
1-yellowtail damsel
1-clown
1-orchid dotyback
1-jawfish
1-flame angel

peaceful

1-chromis
1-firefish
1-clown
1-goby
1-blenny
maybe 1 cardinal fish

Thanks in advance!

Is it a 30g tank or 30L tank? The first post says 30L.
30L is only ~8gallons.

I agree with DaveK, but would also add that some of those fish are known as jumpers - I'd suggest some type of top or screen on top of the tank.

mtamorrow

Is it a 30g tank or 30L tank? The first post says 30L.
30L is only ~8gallons.

I agree with DaveK, but would also add that some of those fish are known as jumpers - I'd suggest some type of top or screen on top of the tank.
sorry about that.....it's 30 gallons, 36" long.

The model is called a 30L (30 gallon, long)

Anyway I have decided to go peaceful.

Thanks for your input and helping. The tank does come with a mesh top / cover.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think you are making a better choice going with peaceful fish in that small of a tank. :thumbup:
You have tank length & a very nice rockscape to your advantage but keep in mind the full grown size of your fish & don't overcrowd.
Do you have your 1st fish in yet? :fishy:

mtamorrow

I think you are making a better choice going with peaceful fish in that small of a tank. :thumbup:
You have tank length & a very nice rockscape to your advantage but keep in mind the full grown size of your fish & don't overcrowd.
Do you have your 1st fish in yet? :fishy:
I have a blue chromis (1 1/4" long), a purple firefish (1 1/2 long), and a high fin red banded goby.

The chromis has been in for about 2 weeks and I got him just to have something in the tank for food and waste purpose, but he has grown on us so we are going to keep him. he just swims laps up top and catches the power head wave from 1 end to the other.

Got the purple fire fish on sale at LFS Friday.......and the goby (maybe 1") on Saturday.

CUC has been ordered from reef cleaners and is shipping tomorrow. I have a bit of green algae and diatoms galore.

All parameters are in check and testing daily still. 77deg, 1.025 salinity, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphate - 0, pH-8

I have a skimmer (IM ghost) and the instructions say to wait a month after the cycle is complete before you start using it. Should I really wait?

THANKS!