Stupid question !!!

Mandy11

Ok, hope this doesn't appear to be too stupid but I really am after some advice please.
I have read a lot of info on cycling and have a good understanding of the bacteria cycle. But I just dont want to risk any of my existing livestock.

My first tank was purchased 2nd hand - up running and stocked.
Current tank was an upgrade from the first one, so I have never cycled a tank - lucky me.

If I was to upgrade this tank, but not want to use any of the live rock i currently have, so essentially starting with all new base rock but put 4 kgs of seeded (currently in sump now) Seachem matrix and all the live rock from current tank into the sump of the new upgrade tank, would I still have to cycle ?

My current total water volume is 1500ltrs with about 150kg of rock in DT and 80kg live rock and 4kg matrix in sump.

I would use Seachem prime an stability at the time of the move. I did this during the mini cycle i had on this upgrade.

My new total water volume would be 3000lts. So approx double.
My new set up would be all new base rock in DT. New sand bed
150kgs of old DT live rock & 4 Kgs matrix in the sump only.

I would be moving over a full stock of corals and fish ?
I would certainly be expecting some kind of mini cycle but would I get a full cycle to the stage it will / may harm any livestock I moved over ?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
First off, there are no "stupid questions" Every question you could ask is one that someone else has wondered about & needed an answer to also. :)
From my understanding....Ammonia is harmful to livestock at any level. Giving your tank time to do a full cycle is your best option. Time & patience are needed to assure your tank is ready to keep livestock safely in. IMO, slow is the way to go :D
Good things in SW take time, usually only BAD things happen fast.

If you are not able to let your tank have time needed to fully cycle...have water ready to do water changes & test for ammonia & nirite daily.
I have never used speed cycle products so maybe someone who has had success with them can advise you.

Mandy11

Lots of member have started up a new tank with dry rock, I would suggest adding a raw deli shrimp (prawn) letting it rot & start testing... let the tank cycle - this is a proven "old school" method that works... then once the cycle is complete, move over your livestock

one great read...
http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/inde...on-cycling-breaking-in-a-new-reef-tank.26180/
one problem with this is that the new tank need to go exactly where the old tank is sitting right now.
so not possible to have both tanks running at the same time.
Surely if all the live rock form old tank is put in the sump of the new tank a cycle could be avoided ?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If my conversions are near right... this is a new 800 gallon tank, with 330 pounds of LR in a sump,

with new base rock in the DT, I would guess it's going to cycle and if you have no choice but to proceed then the "Prime® which contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate non-toxic." may be the way to go... or another "instant cycle" product.

See what others advise...

DaveK

You are dealing with some very large tanks. It your numbers are correct it's about 400 gal and about 800 gal tanks.

When you are working on this scale, it's really bad idea to try and cut corners and do an in place swap. There is just too much to go wrong. You come up short on a critical part or time, and you can not complete the project. It's too big a risk.

What you need to do is set up some sort of temporary home for your fish and corals that is located someplace else. Set it up using the existing live rock and water, so there should be no cycle here.

Then tear out the old tank, and install the new one from scratch. Do a normal start up, using the "famous deli shrimp" and then carefully reintroduce the livestock from the temp home, over a period of time.

This is the only way to safely do a project this big. Keep in mind that the temp home can be located someplace out side your home. You also could consider selling of giving away all or most of the existing livestock and starting over that way.

The point is that you want a clean conversion, and you want to be able to stop in the middle if something isn't right.