Recent content by tkucifer

1. T

Need advice for newly unhappy acans and leather

Update: I moved the acans to areas of the tank with presumably lower flow and they both perked up within a day or two. The leather looked the same for several days but then finally shed and is now open and happy. Thanks for your advice--I have a tendency to overreact since it's such a small...
  2. T

Sorry--can't believe I overlooked posting those numbers! Ammonia and nitrite are both zero, nitrate is trivial at around 5ish but again, I haven't done my water change for this week so I expect that to fall tomorrow with the change. Thanks everyone; I may try moving the acans if they don't...
  3. T

:help:After a tank disaster in June (details in the footnote) I am re-establishing my reef tank. Last week I rebuilt my rockwork, moving some corals around to places where I thought they'd be happier. For several days they were, then two days ago the acans stopped opening and the toadstool...
  4. T

Beginner here, Am I moving too fast?

You can have a reef tank without a sump, it just requires a little more work. (sigh!) A two month old tank is a little new to be too aggressive, and there are some species that should definitely wait until the tank is more mature (unfortunately anemones are one of them). Both young tanks...
  5. T

Aquarium lighting

We have a 20 gal nano at work with twin T5s. The Xenia sp. are thriving (pulsing and pom pom)--and by thriving, I mean they grow like WEEDS. For those, you may well be fine with the T5s you already have and may not need much more light until you add other corals.
  6. T

The Bluespot Club

Do you have sand or crushed coral? That's how my Spot looked and several people suggested it might be trauma from digging in our sand/CC mixed substrate. I'm sorry to say he didn't make it, likely from the compounded trauma of living in a hastily established HT, not eating and then moving to a...
  7. T

The Bluespot Club

Never mind. I'm just an honorary member again. :waa: I found our Spot this morning pretty macerated. When the parameters in the upstairs tank (the one with the sand bed) are where I need them to be I'm sure we'll try again. I loved that little guy!!!
  8. T

The Bluespot Club

Hi everyone! I just discovered this thread and am hesitantly glad to call myself a full fledged member! We have had a BSJ for a little over a month, but he's been under the weather we think so I've been working with him extensively to nurse him back to health, with mixed results. I moved him...
  9. T

People w/ RSM 34 gal: What "clean-up crew" guys do you have? How many of each?

My RSM is still new, started up on 7/4/10. We've worked up to 4 astrea snails, 4 nassarius snails, 16 TINY hermit crabs, 2 emerald crabs, 1 fire/blood shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp and a starry blenny. I stayed away from Turbo snails because my rockwork is just perched, and I've heard they can...
  10. T

People w/ RSM 34 gal: What "clean-up crew" guys do you have? How many of each?

My RSM is still new, started up on 7/4/10. We've worked up to 4 astrea snails, 4 nassarius snails, 16 TINY hermit crabs, 2 emerald crabs, 1 fire/blood shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp and a starry blenny. I stayed away from Turbo snails because my rockwork is just perched, and I've heard they can...
  11. T

Just a lurking wanna-be for now :)

Hi, I'm Tiffany. My friend is a salt water tank enthusiast and she's spreading the bug at work. I am hoping to get my first 20g salt tank for my birthday (7/4!) and then I'll start the long, slow process of developing a thriving reef environment. I'm really looking forward to it but have only...