Recent content by Skyreefer

1. Skyreefer

Microbubble help !!!

I had a problem with micro bubbles dispersing from my skimmer. I would check the nozzle that holds the airline tubing and make sure it's tight. If that's not it you can try placing a micron filter sock on the output pipe of the skimmer. That's what I had to do.
  2. Skyreefer

Video of my new FOWLR and 8yr old reef tank

That video was sweet! I love the O-Ring shot. Had to rewind that one.
  3. Skyreefer

Purple Goniapora (flowerpot) ISSUES

It's possible that having it that high up in the tank could be bleaching it into retracting. I have mine on a rock on the sand bed. I've seen many tanks with goni's on the bottom or mid section of tanks.
  4. Skyreefer

It's hard to say exactly what caused its decline but it looks like it may be dying. Where is it located in the tank? Direct target feed the polyps that are extended during the day everyday. From the research I've done I have found that goniopora needs to be fed very often. This is one of the...
  5. Skyreefer

Is this what the goni looks like throughout the day? Polyps always retracted?
  6. Skyreefer

candy cane lost one of it heads kind of?

Sounds weird. Never seen a candy cane or any LPS polyps fall off the skeleton. Bring your salinity up and do a series of small water changes to get the nitrates down. 20-30ppm in a 12 gallon is a high.
  7. Skyreefer

I have read that the red and purple goniopora coral is easier to keep than the green and yellows. I have a greenish/tan goniopora that was a little bleached in the fish store, but after being in my tank for a few months it is full of color and doing well. When the polyps start to fully extend...
  8. Skyreefer

Do I have room for one more fish? Suggestion?

Nice tank! I'd go with a fairy wrasse or two. Bright fairy wrasses add nice color to the reef. I'm still trying to decide which ones I want.
  9. Skyreefer

Filter Socks

I pull mine out of the sump, pick off the amphipods and toss them back in, rinse under tap water, then into the washing machine with a cap of bleach. Then I flip them inside out and wash in the machine again with just water for a final rinse. I usually wait until most of the socks and tank...
  10. Skyreefer

Sky's 90G reef in progress

Thanks. Yeah target feeding is the way to go. I'm impatient and I like to see big corals not tiny frags all over the place. So I target feed all of my corals 3-4 times a week and growth rates are incredible. I also do weekly water changes, heavy skimming and nutrient export to keep up with...
  11. Skyreefer

nstiesi's 75g gallon peninsula

The tank is sweeet! I love the coral growth especially the birdsnest. I wish my xenia would grow out like that.
  12. Skyreefer

Thanks guys. Mine really love the reef caviar and coral food mix. The coral food mix has rotifers, cyclops, copepods, zooplankton, phyto and other tiny organisms my corals love. Cheap at my LFS too (4.99) the reef caviar is pricey and almost always sold out.
  13. Skyreefer

First Tank!

Welcome! Good luck with the start. I can't tell from the pics but I hope the lid on the tank is secure because eels are great at escaping. I had a snowflake eel a long time ago and it ended up on the floor the first night.
  14. Skyreefer

I'm trying to get the fastest growth out of my rainbow acan frag so I've been spot feeding it at dusk every other night. I thought I'd share my feeding technique- I just cut the top of a water bottle, drilled a hole in the cap and inserted some airline tubing with a medicine dispenser. I fill...