Recent content by SilverPhoenix

1. S

Want to buy: your old equipment

I have 6 MarsHydro/ Mars Aqua 165 watt units: 2 new still in box 1 not in box but never used 3 used also have 2 used EVO led 6' strip units Let me know if youre interested and what you'd be willing to pay. Thanks
  2. S

Other pets?

When Cal walked in off the streets he was about 14-15 lbs and you could see his ribs and feel his spine. He can reach his whole front paw and grab stuff about 3 inches back off the kitchen counter. Even though he is now 20 lbs and his back side looks like a rotisserie chicken when he eats, I...
  3. S

Other pets?

This is Cal He's a big boy This is Ava-Blue, who is unfortunately no longer with us And this is Mermaid, The latest addition to our family.
  4. S

Algae cleanout What to do with the excess?

Not certain if this is the right area to post this but looking to start a creative discussion on possible uses for the algae we remove from our tanks every day. Just to clarify, the algae I am referring to is the stuff you scrape off a turf scrubber or the floaty filamentous algae that grows in...
  5. S

Anyone culturing their own live phyto.

Starting to culture Phyto so I can feed my tank the live stuff. Of course I'm going overboard. Got 4 disks of Phyto from florida Aqua Farms today of 4 different types of Phyto. My question to those who are or have cultured live Phyto is, How sterile does the water really need to be? I...
  6. S

Help with Auto feeding Live food

Bump Anyone have any suggestions on how to mechanically "lift" live food into a DT Would like to use the method to auto dose my tank with live food.
  7. S

I'm actually over by the Kernan area just east of 295. There are several good LFS in the area. in order of closeness to you. OPA (orange park Aquatics) over on Blanding Coral Reef Junkies on old St Augustine off San Jose Coral Logic off Baymeadows near 295 Bio Reef off Beach east of 295...
  8. S

Sorry, I don't have any decent video, still trying to work our all the mechanics first. Actually need to start culturing Phytoplankton first before I can get it up and running. That said, here is the original article I used as my reference...
  9. S

I built a device that should allow me to culture and feed live food to my tank. I found the description for it in one of the forums I can't remember which at the moment but they referred to it as a Geosapper. Basically there are 3 chambers. The top one holds phytoplankton, The middle , pods the...
  10. S

Mixing station Large tank small space

Sorry There was a typo in my original post it is a 180 DT over a 180 not 18 sump/fuge That said, a 180 typically does is not run containing 180G the running depth in my DT is about ~23" or aproximately 167g in the DT Combine that with my sump/fuge which has an average water depth ~21 "...
  11. S

Mixing station Large tank small space

Not certain if this is the best spot to post this question or not. I have a 180G DT over a 18G sump/fuge. I figure I have roughly 300 gallons of water once you figure out the displacement of 290 lbs live rock + 380 lbs Live sand. I had built a 37 gallon tall tank into th cabinetry...
  12. S

Chaeto and Cycling

I have a 180g DT over a 180g that is divided into sump and fuge My plan is to have Chaeto in the fuge and possibly in the DT as well. I have been dosing the tank daily with MicroBacter7 and I think I am aproaching the end of the cycle. Amonia has peaked and now appears to be below .25 ppm...
  13. S

My 180 double sided

Was advised to start a chronical but am having dificulty with the pictures and my posting privileges I have a album up here on the site but I can't seem to add any new pictures to it. I have a chronical at my local reef club jaxreef
  14. S

To Mud or not to mud?

Considering I've got 7.5 lbs I might try the shallow container concept at some point in the future. I just have to find out what sort of shelf life they have.seeing as I think it wil lbe at least 2 months before I start experimenting with corals
  15. S

Initial tank fill. When to turn skimmer on

I have 250 lbs of Dry live rock from BRS Plus another 40 lbs of coral rubble. The rubble is in the bottom of the skimmer compartment of the 180 sump/fuge and the 250 is distributed between the DT, Skimmer and sump. I'd say its probably distributed about 55% between the DT and 45% in the sump...