Recent content by Rogue97gtp

1. Rogue97gtp

DIY HOB Fuge idea

Thanks guys. I think I will go to Lowe's this week and take a little walk around the plumbing dept. and get some things to get it going. What lighting would you suggest? I figure I could pick up something small while I am there. Does it need to stay on all the time or should I set it up with my...
  2. Rogue97gtp

DIY HOB Fuge idea

I have been thinking about using an old skilter ::shudders:: for a mini-refugium. I have a 10 gal sump but no real room to make a fuge in there due to the size of my skimmer, so I decided to use the crappy skilter that I bought years ago and put some Chaeto in there. I have the water being piped...
  3. Rogue97gtp

Got it going!

Well, I am still working on getting the salinity up in my tank but things are starting to look better AND a hermit crab did survive all of this! Shocked the hell out of me when he came up from behind some rock. Parameters: Temp 80.6 PH 8.4 Salinity 1.023 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 20...
  4. Rogue97gtp

Got it going!

Thanks for the advice Teri, will do! I have a bucket of sw mixing now, so I will use it as top offs in my sump to slowly bump the salinity up.
  5. Rogue97gtp

Got it going!

Well, I had an ammonia spike up to 4ppm before I could get to changing out the water and lost the chromis and the hermit :tears: . I did do about a 20% water change yesterday. I tested the water today and got these parameters: Ammonia: 1 Nitrite: .25 Nitrate: 20 PH: 84 Temp: 80.6 Salinity...
  6. Rogue97gtp

Got it going!

Went and picked up the new tank and rock from a guy who was selling it. Got home and got it all up and running. It is a 29 gal which came with sand and about 40lbs of LR. Came with one hermit crab, one blue green chromis, a couple snails and one cleaner shrimp. The shrimp died this morning, I...
  7. Rogue97gtp

What a wonderful start!!

Well it looks like I found a hell of a deal. A guy was selling his 29 gal sw tank on craigs list for $149... has 1 green chromis, and CUC with about 40lbs of live rock. He is knocking the price down to $100. Will be heading up to Atlanta to pick it up next week!! :D :snowski:
  8. Rogue97gtp

What a wonderful start!!

After a long long time of getting equipment to get my 30 gal started I finally got the substrate in the tank (no LR yet), full of SW, got water flowing to my 10gal sump underneath, everything is going well until i wake up the next morning to find some water in the floor, I figured the problem...
  9. Rogue97gtp

Reef Balls & Reef Cakes

Trust me man. I definitely wont! It will be the center piece in the tank once everything is set up and running. Will take pics as soon as I have the LR in and everything set up as the tank cycles.
  10. Rogue97gtp

Reef Balls & Reef Cakes

Mine is now soaking in a bucket of FW. Thanks Alan! Looking forward to putting it in the tank once I get all of my equipment!
  11. Rogue97gtp

Does anyone order fish vs. buying at a store?

I am going to be buying a good bit of my stuff from liveaquaria.com. They have great prices on rock and I have heard a lot of good things about them.
  12. Rogue97gtp

Lighting question

The reason why they are better with individual reflectors is because they dont put out intense of a light if you want to keep say anemones that need intense light. I am not planning on keeping them so the Nova Extreme is fine for what I am keeping. As said above I can buy individual reflectors...
  13. Rogue97gtp

Lighting question

I am thinking of doing the same thing to my lights. I believe I will do that after about a year if I decide to go with something that needs a lot more light. There is room in there if you want to modify it yourself.
  14. Rogue97gtp

Lighting question

Most of those companies are using parts that are made in China that do have a tendency to catching on fire. I wouldnt buy any lights on ebay either. I was about to do the same thing you are doing trying to save money but decided against it. Try this one.. Current USA Nova Extreme T5HO 24-Hour...
  15. Rogue97gtp

About to start soon....

Ok will do. I have already purchased the light so it is on its way. Anemones are nice but I am not dying to get one at this time anyways so it is no big deal plus it would take at least a year for me to have the tank ready for one anyways. I plan on starting another tank sometime in the future...