Recent content by mgreenough

1. mgreenough

What's a good photo-period for your fuge

My fuge is full of different caulerpas so 24/7 for me with a 6500k led fixture.
  2. mgreenough

HELP! Grey growth

I have quite a lot of it, it does not bother me much as it only grows in the shadows Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
  3. mgreenough

tuxedo urchin

They are cool critters, I love mine as it is a real character
  4. mgreenough

Spiney Blue Lobster???

It's a stunner.
  5. mgreenough

Water change - how long to heat water

What I do if I need water really quickly is use my kettle (bought for the sole use) to bring some RO to near boiling and add to my 25L drum. This warms the water very quickly. The elements are made up of 80% nickel, 20% chromium - both of which you find in your common household taps, so quite...
  6. mgreenough

What Temperature Do You Keep Your Tank At ?

Between 26 and 27 for me without a heater. My tank hit 34.8 during the really hot days this summer, with no adverse affects on the tank. Some of the corals sulked a little but perked up when the temp dropped.
  7. mgreenough

The Sunlight Dilemma

My tank is next to the kitchen window and gets 4-5 hours of diect sunlight a day. Never had an algae issue in this tank. Excess nutrients cause algae issues not sunlight.
  8. mgreenough

Peppermint Shrimp

Mine used to out all the time, but now it has disappeared and does not come out at feeding time. So not sure whether it is still there.
  9. mgreenough

Spiney Blue Lobster???

Yuk, it looks like something I would get at my nearest chinese takeaway
  10. mgreenough

Starting over, sort of

Urchins eating coraline is a good thing in my book, as the coraline covers the rock making it non porous after a while. So the urchins help out keeping the rocks porous.
  11. mgreenough

Starting over, sort of

Instead of removing and scrubbing the rocks in the display you can buy/rent a sea hare to start making light work on the algae. Then whilst it is doing that address the other factors as above.
  12. mgreenough

my 55 tank with 2- 10 gal sumps linked

You may be safer to drill the left tank and have it higher than the right tank (by a few inches) and let gravity do the work. Much safer than relying on a syphon. I tried connecting two tanks side by side but could not get the fliw rate right until I raised one tank.