Recent content by Matthew Greenwald

1. M

Coral and other organisms

hitch hikers are one of the most exciting parts of this hobby. my tank has been running for years and I still find stuff living in my tank i had no idea was inside.
  2. M

Whats your experience with Kessil

I was using 4 T5 bulbs before the Kessil. So far the difference is incredible. My Kenya's and shrooms actually have some crazy color. The only thing I didnt like was the shadowing from directly overtop so I needed to change my rockwork to eliminate shadows. At the moment i have no dark spots. I...
  3. M

I've been thinking of throwing a couple t5's on top along with it because it says it'll cover up to 24" so im just over the limit. Dont know how big of a difference it would make.
  4. M

I Recently picked up a Kessil A360we for my 29 gallon reef. I'd like to hear some of the pros and cons these lights may have. What kind of items are you growing under them.
  5. M

HELP! Mandarin pellet feeding

If you need to Reef cleaners sells very large bags of pods at a reasonable price. even though mine is eating flakes I still make sure he has plenty of pods to snack on, Mandarins can look great one moment and dead the next... They honestly remind me of Morish Idols the way they can take a turn...
  6. M

Lights for 10g

I know i'm going to be yelled at for this lol. I found a cheap knockoff version for my 5 gallon fluval edge on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Element-Aquarium-LED-6x-3W-Clip-On-Coral-Reef-Planted-High-Power-10000K-/261350335329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd9b1a361 I used this and my...
  7. M

Anemone Issues

i want to set up a mini reef but when I tried to last time it fell through. I'm used to much larger tanks and this little five gallon is the devil!
  8. M

LED lighting for my 125 gallon tank?

Before you buy anything I'd def make up your mind if you want it to eventually be a reef or not. This can make a HUGE difference. If you're just going FOWLR you can get a cheap green element LED system off ebay for like 120 that is VERY bright and looks really nice. If you want a reef you're...
  9. M

HELP! Mandarin pellet feeding

I got lucky with mine. The little fella goes nuts over flakes lol
  10. M

Anemone Issues

I have a Fluval edge spec V im itching to get up and running. I never thought about using it as a pod farm. Def. an idea.
  11. M

Sand Question

I currently have a 29 gallon bare bottom tank, i'm really starting to kick myself for not having a sand bed just because I love how clean they look with the white sand bed. What would be the best way to add sand to this system without causing major chaos, and am I pretty much screwed when it...
  12. M

Anemone Issues

i've got a normal household CFL bulb over it and it grows like a weed. When I shook it out in my sink i found 37 pods that i didnt even know I had plus a small starfish and a bunch of snails... god i love this hobby lol
  13. M

Anemone Issues

Did some major work to the tank last night, took out about 60% of my chaeto because it was so thick it was almost a sponge. Increased the flow in the tank and also redid my aquascape to reduce shadow. Should I stick with a bare bottom or should I add sand?
  14. M

Anemone Issues

I top off manually, i marked a line on my tank that I know when it gets to its time to top off with a container marked with the exact amount to put in. keeps the salinity stable. I've kept an eye on the angel with no issues. Now I know my flow isnt the best. I had a couple nice power heads but...
  15. M

Anemone Issues

The LFS i have here isnt the best but its the only one i have within a 2 hour radius. My first anemone was a bubble tipped that passed. The LFS told me this was a pink tip or a (condy) anemone and was only $9 so I wanted to see if I'd have the same effect on this that I did the bubbletip and...