Recent content by Mattfish

1. M

PAR/Lux and Kelvin/Color Temp Meters

Anyone have any recommendations and sources for a PAR/Lux meter and also for a Kelvin/Color Temp meter? Trying to figure out just how much light I have and what temp it is, and how I can adjust it. We have a Solaris G-Series, and presumably, it should be 20K Kelvin at full settings, but if I...
  2. M

Clams and Nassarius Problems....

Good idea! Makes sense. I know we all talk about a cleanup crew, but to be honest, every snail I've seen is pretty lazy - they sure don't clean the algae so far as I can tell, and the bad outweighs the good if they're going to eat my clams. And besides, for sandsifting, I have a sandsifting...
  3. M

Solaris Owners!

I'm sensing a long discussion on this! And after figuring out the best color temp, then the question is how to get the Solaris set for it.....
  4. M

Solaris Owners!

Just a thought - and I'm no expert here, but if the I-Series is equivalent to a 400W MH, it would seem that the power of the light is pretty strong. Comparing my 250W equivalent G-Series to a 400W equivalent I-Series, you're putting a lot more light on your tank that we are on ours. Could be...
  5. M

Clams and Nassarius Problems....

We've lost two clams - a derasa and a crocea in the past week and a half due to Nassarious snails eating them from the bottom up. Strangest thing - we've never had this problem before. They seem to decide to swarm on an otherwise perfectly healthy clam, eat them from the open spot at the...
  6. M

Solaris Owners!

I missed the pic of the SuperSkimmer, but that's a helluva big skimmer..... I'll have to wait for some more pics - but does that place ship, and did I miss the url for their website?
  7. M

Solaris Owners!

Robert - what's your distance from water surface to top of sand (practical bottom of tank)? Wolfgang and Daniel - more pictures please? Those of us too far away to go in person would like to live vicariously! And then there's the question of whther they ship? I've seen a picture of...
  8. M

Solaris Owners!

Just a suggestion on the whites/blues settings for Solaris owners - could we all add the model and distance from light to surface of water and depth of tank when we post on this thread? It'd mean better and more exact information for us all, and possibly yield some good guidance for optimum...
  9. M

temp question

Whatever. I was answering your question. When you own the company and pay the bills, you can set the standards for the product..... Until then, they make a good product and those of us that choose to buy it do so.
  10. M

Solaris Owners!

About 2 months in, we had a problem with power supplies and one LED bank (not the whole fixture, but one assembly of 4 LED's). Not only did PFO get the replacements out to me asap, but they prepaid shipping for both the new parts and the return of the old ones. They've been very responsive...
  11. M

temp question

Resolution on the readout is .1F. calibration is .5F Check with Neptune for more info.
  12. M

Evaporating Water....

Covering your tank is not a good idea - it greatly decreases gas exchange - for example, it impedes the ability for nitrogen to disperse. It also allows heat to build up (I think Big Al mentioned this below). Evaporation, obviously is a natural process. I'm no scientist, but it seems like...
  13. M

temp question

Just saw this one - we had a similar problem - and not surprisingly, the AC3 Pro was correct - I had to do the same and speak with Curt at Neptune to find out that they check all probes to +- .5 F. The other thing to make sure about is the other probes except the Conductivity probe (if you...
  14. M

Solaris Owners!

Almost forgot - Lynn, let us know what differences you see and how it's going with your new light. You've got the advantage of seeing the difference between your MH setup, and the new Solaris, and I bet your observations will be really helpful for us all.
  15. M

Solaris Owners!

Great thread. I've already PM'd Robert for the info. we have a G-series 72" Solaris and love it. Got it about 15 months ago. In theory, lower power usage, better control, and safer with no bulbs, etc. The price, to me, is easy to justify, since it's like buying the power savings, bulbs, etc now...