Recent content by Lexinverts

1. Lexinverts

Which Spectrum Steve's LEDs

I got the stock Steve's configuration for my RSM250. I did not like the color with the blues and neutral whites set to the same intensity. It was too yellow. Now I am quite happy with the color I get with 80% blues and 34% neutral whites, and my corals have responded quite well. The blues...
  2. Lexinverts

Recommendations for UV sterilizer for Max C 250?

The only problem with "overkill" is that you will start heating up your water more than is necessary with the UV sterilizer. A 50 Watt UV sterilizer is roughly equivalent to having a 50 watt heater heating your water.
  3. Lexinverts

Go Badgers! I used to have season tickets to Badger Mens B-Ball.
  4. Lexinverts

I just ordered this one: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/TMCUVSterilizer.html#vecton4 It's the 15 Watt model for aquariums--not the pond one. This website has lots of tips regarding flow, etc...
  5. Lexinverts

I am currently adding a UV sterilizer to my Max 250. I am plumbing it in-line so that it processes the water before it goes into the chiller. I have been fighting dinoflagellates for 3 months and I need to try UV now or risk losing many of my corals.
  6. Lexinverts

Steve's LEDs

I am running mine at 76% blue and 34% white, and I like the colors and growth I am getting. Less of those yellow "neutral" whites, the better. Really all your corals need is the blues for photosynthesis. The only purpose the white light serves is to make your corals show colors other than the...
  7. Lexinverts

Daniel's tank upgrade to RSM 250

Daniel, I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Send your water to Triton labs in Germany. They will tell you what is in your water that shouldn't be. It isn't too expensive and Unique Corals in LA is handling all of the sample transfers. I think that it is 49 bucks for the whole...
  8. Lexinverts

Lexinverts' Red Sea Max 250

I recommend using the NOPOX. However, make sure that you use the Red Sea Nitrate test kit first to determine your starting point. Then I would use about half of the recommended dose. Monitor your nitrate closely, since taking it too low too fast can be harmful as well. I am dosing 1 ml per...
  9. Lexinverts

Daniel's tank upgrade to RSM 250

Sorry to hear that Daniel. FYI: Birdsnests, in my experience, are difficult to keep happy long-term. They grow quickly and get to a large size look beautiful for about 8 months, and then they seem to become susceptible to all kinds of things. I think it has to do with lack of flow making it to...
  10. Lexinverts

Steve's LEDs

Another way to do it is to have your lights set with the Typhon to be on all day. Then you can split the photo period using the stock dial timer.
  11. Lexinverts

Steve's LEDs

Thanks, guys. One other question for all of the RSM250 Steve's Leds users. What power did you settle on in the end? Right now I am at 62% on the blues and 46% on the whites. I am wondering if I am too bright though, since some of my corals seem to be reacting negatively. I have slowly worked...
  12. Lexinverts

Steve's LEDs

Is there any way to split your photo period with the Typhon controller? What mean is, if I want my lights to be on from 730 to 1130, and then from 530 to 930... It doesn't seen like you can do it, but I wondered if anyone else had tried this.
  13. Lexinverts

red sea max circulation pump question

Here you go: http://www.marineandreef.com/Red_Sea_Max_130_130D_Sicce_Circulation_Pump_p/rrs40344.htm
  14. Lexinverts

Lexinverts' Red Sea Max 250

I started using NO3-PO4-X about 2 weeks ago. I have it hooked up to a BRS dosing pump. I started out with the recommended dose and it took my nitrates from 15 ppm down to 0 within 3 days. I backed it off, and now I am dosing about 1 ml per day. My nitrates are holding steady at 1 ppm, which is...
  15. Lexinverts

Steve's led's with BTA

I can't imagine that it is not getting enough light at 75% with Steves LEDS. I would say it is more likely that it is getting too much light.