Recent content by kare-bear

1. kare-bear

The miracle of life: Adam gives birth!

Yes, of course. I have no plans to breed by pets due to the challenge and time commitment. Shows that you give excellent care to your pets to have them successfully breeding. My kids like your short video. Thanks
  2. kare-bear

The miracle of life: Adam gives birth!

Wow! Great video. Congratulations. I wish the video could have been longer. I hope you share more so that I can follow your progress with your new babies.
  3. kare-bear

Aquarium In Apartment?

Some apartment contracts specifically state no aquariums in the lease. Yes, that will be heavy, and some building managers worry about leaks. Hard to say because of older building codes etc. figure out your exact weight, don't ask your building manager if you don't want to hear a 'no'.
  4. kare-bear

New here and to saltwater, hi!

Hi Solaris, Congratulations on your new tank. The best advice I can share is to go to the beginners forum and open up the stickies that outline new tank cycling and all of the testing parameters. There are lists for things you will need to have available and some great examples to follow. You...
  5. kare-bear

How long should I wait before I start having an Anemone?

I have been thinking about anemones lately too. In my past tank I had one and it moved around and picked a place I didn't like. Now I have a large tank and I have other pieces that are in my opinion so much nicer and easier. I feel like my bubble coral, torch coral, and hammer have beautiful...
  6. kare-bear

New Clam will not open completely?

Oh, do a search on here about posting pictures. You do not have enough posts yet. If you want to post a picture of your clam you can look at some other posts and chime in. You will be sharing photos in no time!
  7. kare-bear

New Clam will not open completely?

This seems very worrisome to me. I had a clam that I inspected thoroughly at the store, seemed healthy. I acclimated it properly, tank parameters were great. I introduced it to DT, it closed up fully after a few hours, opened up the next day ( fell open really) it was mushy, loss of color...
  8. kare-bear

Thought I had QT's properly but....

Thank you Oxy. I feel like you are doing my school science project with me. The photos of stages are great. I really liked the table with options to disinfect equipment. Really a solid scientific article with references. Much appreciation. My kids are young but I can use parts of this article.
  9. kare-bear

Thank you Dianakay for the link. I will read it all....I hope there is info about quarantine for all 'wet stuff' to prevent this in the future. Feather dusters, macro algae, pods, snails. My kids are very excited about building fish traps and are entering the project in the school science...
  10. kare-bear

I am reading instructions from member Leebca written in 2007. It seems certain that I will not put my shrimp in hypo salinity with my goby.
  11. kare-bear

Ok....I guess I will research how to do it properly. I guess I thought I had 2 options, copper/tank transfer. Can my goby/shrimp pair do hypo salinity together so they aren't splint up? (The shrimp can't do copper but what about hypo.)
  12. kare-bear

Thanks cubs fan. I just thought someone might tell me if a 2nd round of copper would hurt my fish.....would be nice if my clowns spawn one day etc. also, how do I make sure any new crabs, snails do not reinfect?
  13. kare-bear

Hello All, I have been reefing for about 7 years. I currently have a 1 year running 175 bow front built in reef. I have done QT on every fish and treated with Prazipro and Cupramine as a precaution. I coral dipped all frags. The only thing that I was not perfect on was adding crabs, snails...
  14. kare-bear

Substrate decision

Thatpetplace.com has sand on sale right now. I had free shipping for orders over $100. Check it out. I just ordered 200lb. I did pay for overweight shipping but it was only $80.
  15. kare-bear

pricing for used stuff

Thanks for all the advice. I guess my main interest in the two sales is the live rock. If the 2 tanks were using tap water is the rock any good? I have a RO/DI unit set-up and ready to go. I'm wondering if any of the mineral/heavy metals that are in tap water would still be in the rock...