Recent content by jaidexl

1. 110gl SW planted tank

110gl SW planted tank

2. jaidexl

What are these things??

Chances are, if you do have a mantis, and by the time you get it feeding off a skewer enough that you can pull it up, you'll start to become fascinated and want to keep it. :smirk: Here's my old one..
  3. jaidexl

What are these things??

It will find plenty on it's own within the rocks and sand, so starving the tank won't do anything. It will eat your unseen worms and inverts. Start feeding it if you want to catch it, don't go ripping your tank apart like so many people do. It's not hard to gain it's trust. Put a krill on a...
  4. jaidexl

What are these things??

Here's a good picture of the small, red colonial dusters from the Caribbean. Much smaller than the ones we're used to seeing at the LFS, less than a 1/4" in diameter at the fan. there are also colonial hydroids which are very similar and probably a more common hitchhiker, maybe half the size...
  5. jaidexl

What are these things??

Mantis shrimp will also resemble a lobster at the tale, if that helps identify it. You will hear clicking in the tank if it's a smasher. They are pretty interesting, so if you don't have expensive mollusks or bottom dwelling fish to worry about, I would give it a chance to live and try to feed...
  6. mantis3_small

mantis3_small

7. hi_fin_macro_small

hi_fin_macro_small

8. mantis7_small

mantis7_small

9. Mantis tank

Mantis tank

10. mantis5

mantis5

11. polyp_shrimp

polyp_shrimp

12. jaidexl

Yikes! Should I be worried about tunicate heavily expelling waste??

I came home today to find my g/f rearranging the house, figures she also had to stick her hands in "her" new 8gl nano to move things "the way she wants" only a month after setting it up . Don't worry, she got the lecture again. No sooner did I get to the part about a little universe of creatures...
  13. jaidexl

Tiny clear/white sacks, difficult to ID

Me too, and mine are forever cruising the surface where all those eggs are, I'm just waiting to catch one in the act. Kinda strange, there must be some pretty significant species variants for them to also create those large clusters like the one that woolfe posted, those are the clusters...
  14. jaidexl

Tiny clear/white sacks, difficult to ID

I finally found this image after removing the word 'vibex' from my search term (silly how the simplest word can botch things up), the caption says it's a nassarius. The shell looks like an astrea at first, but after close examination of the foot and lower shell of both my astrea and nassarius...
  15. Finnex 8gl

Finnex 8gl

Beginning cycle. 8gl, 10.2lb LR, 26w 50/50 pc