Recent content by hunkydory

1. H

HELP!! Emergency! Digital Thermometer/ Battery Fell Into Tank

130# of oolite for a 30 gallon long = 4 inches. I was shocked as well. I ditched the sand and performed the total decon procedure recommended. The aquarium is glass...and just so everyone knows, acetone is typically used to clean glass and evaporates in seconds. Additionally, it is very well...
  2. H

I drained the tank of water and sand and rinsed it out really well. I would like to keep this tank as it has been drilled with an in tank overflow. I have been trolling around looking for what to wash this thing with. I read someone suggesting muriatic (hydrochloric) acid and then acetone to...
  3. H

thanks for the advice...the only silver lining is that the main tank wasn't connected and i didn't have any corals or inverts to kill. I'll probably clean the whole thing out with EDTA really well.
  4. H

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and simply starting the refugium from scratch with fresh sand...if I did that could I still keep the tank?
  5. H

The battery and thermometer had leaked out a brown sludge and into the tank water. I had a bunch of biobale in the middle of the tank and the sludge appeared contained on the side of the biobale that the thermometer dropped into. I did a pH test and the pH had dropped from about 8.2/8.3 to 7.9...
  6. H

I'm really in need of some advice here. I am in the process of setting up a reef tank. I do not have any live rock in yet. I am also establishing a refugium that I initially seeded with 120 lbs of live sand and has been in the process of cycling. I normally have the two connected via a pump and...
  7. H

Plumbing Question - Refugium Return - Preventing Impeller Shredding

I'm somewhat of a newbie when it comes to reefkeeping and am about to receive a 130D. In the meantime I am working on setting up an above tank refugium. The refugium has been drill with a small overflow and I want to return a 1 inch gravity fed return tubing line to the tank. My question is how...
  8. H

Starting New- Fresh Uncured Live Manado and Cycling Idea

Thanks for the reply. Just to fill you in, I happened to be up near "That Fish Place"/"That Pet Place" up in Lancaster and it really did live up to the hype. They have a huge live animal section and some good deals on a number of items. FYI, they have 130D's there for around $670 (after joining...
  9. H

Use for the 130d Stock Skimmer

I'm relatively new to the forum and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 130D. In the meantime, I am in the process of placing a gargantuan online order for supplies and needed some quick input regarding the stock 130D skimmer. I went ahead and bought a Tunze skimmer upgrade, but I was...
  10. H

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll let you know how it goes with pics and all. I'm going to do everything within reason to keep this stuff as alive as possible. Jeremy at PA suggested Microbacter7...sounds like a plan. I'll let everyone know. Please, any other suggestions from anyone would be greatly...
  11. H

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to get several opinions on here regarding uncured live rock and the cycling procedure....anyone else???
  12. H

Hi Everyone, I'm just prepared to start my first reef aquarium (I used to have a fish only years ago) with a Red Sea Max 130D. Right now it's on back for two weeks. :( I live in Maryland, so if anyone has some MD specific answers (like live rock rock sources) that would be great!! So here...