Starting New- Fresh Uncured Live Manado and Cycling Idea

hunkydory

Hi Everyone,

I'm just prepared to start my first reef aquarium (I used to have a fish only years ago) with a Red Sea Max 130D. Right now it's on back for two weeks. :( I live in Maryland, so if anyone has some MD specific answers (like live rock rock sources) that would be great!!

So here is my virginal lot of questions!!!

First off let me start by saying that my goal is to be take my time getting the tank setup before plunging into purchasing softies and the sort. I'd like to purchase the "most" live uncured live rock I can, with an eye toward aesthetics and porosity. That being said, after trolling through here for a few days, it seems like 40 lbs. of the Manado from Premium Aquatics might fit this bill. How does the Manado compare to other live rocks in terms of rare/unusual/diversity of life forms? I have read of this "super" live rock that has been aqua cultured in Florida and then sent in seawater to maximize life. While there are obvious advantages, I am partial to the look and porosity of the manado/fiji. Nonetheless, I'd still like to get as many "critters" with my rock as possible. I don't mind taking a long time to weed out the bad guys should they come too.

Either way, I'd really like to keep as much stuff alive on whatever live rock I end up ordering, which leads me to my second question...

As for cycling, I had an idea this morning. Given the fact that one of the stresses the lifeforms on the uncured live rock experience is a big nitrogen spike, would it make sense to try to "pseudo-cycle" the tank with something cheap and disposable like biobale and a shot of ammonia a few weeks before the arrival of the LR and then leave it in the main tank while the LR cures? That way the bacteria set up on the bio bale could mitigate the ammonia/nitrite shock to the rock. I haven't heard of anyone doing this, but it makes sense to me. Comments PLEASE!

Thanks everyone for all your future help and hopefully I'll be able to give back in the future!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Welcome. I bought the Monado rock and like it. It wasn't full of critter but it was cured. Make sure to check with them cause they don't always have the uncured. You're not going to be able to spare the hitchikers the cycle unless you pull them off which will be tricky. My advice would be to pre-cure the rock in a tub upon arrival, clean it up (keep what you wish) and while you're doing this you can toss a deli shrimp in your tank to get that going. Then you can put the semi cured rock in and then follow the cycle with testing. After it has cycled, do a large (40%) water change and wait for it to stabilize.

hunkydory

Welcome. I bought the Monado rock and like it. It wasn't full of critter but it was cured. Make sure to check with them cause they don't always have the uncured. You're not going to be able to spare the hitchikers the cycle unless you pull them off which will be tricky. My advice would be to pre-cure the rock in a tub upon arrival, clean it up (keep what you wish) and while you're doing this you can toss a deli shrimp in your tank to get that going. Then you can put the semi cured rock in and then follow the cycle with testing. After it has cycled, do a large (40%) water change and wait for it to stabilize.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to get several opinions on here regarding uncured live rock and the cycling procedure....anyone else???

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I think what you've posted makes sense, but I don't think you'll get a lot of experienced folks who have tried it. Since most people just cure the rock and then place it in the tank. From what I've experienced and read from the forums. A lot of the hitchhikers are going to survive whether we want them to or not. I've seen tanks with tiny fish that survived a trip cross country in a box of LR with only wet newspaper covering it. Sounds crazy but I guess if there's a small pocket of water protected in the rock, it can happen.

If you try this out, please make sure that you document it for us so we can all learn from you.

hunkydory

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll let you know how it goes with pics and all. I'm going to do everything within reason to keep this stuff as alive as possible. Jeremy at PA suggested Microbacter7...sounds like a plan. I'll let everyone know. Please, any other suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

theplantman

I live up here in the MD area as well and unfortunately, i doubt you will be able to find a souce on uncured live rock unless you go to an LFS that will order it for you. Otherwise I would go with one of the many sponsers here at RS for uncured rock. Two good LFS stores i have found in the area are Ricks fish and pet in frederick and that pet/fish place in lancaster PA. Ricks can order almost anything you want and he has a nice selection of cured live rock if you were to go that route. ( I went into his store last week with a laundry list of equipment needs to restart my tank and found it all.) Ro membranes and cartridges, sand, good test kits, geisemann metal halide bulbs, quality heaters, thermometers, salt mix, timers etc.)The Fish place also has about 6 nice basins for cured live rock and their fish selection and coral selection is always pretty good. I have not been here yet, but Marine Scene in VA looks very promising.

Hope this helps. Good luck and happy reefing!

hunkydory

Thanks for the reply. Just to fill you in, I happened to be up near "That Fish Place"/"That Pet Place" up in Lancaster and it really did live up to the hype. They have a huge live animal section and some good deals on a number of items. FYI, they have 130D's there for around $670 (after joining their free "club").

I live up here in the MD area as well and unfortunately, i doubt you will be able to find a souce on uncured live rock unless you go to an LFS that will order it for you. Otherwise I would go with one of the many sponsers here at RS for uncured rock. Two good LFS stores i have found in the area are Ricks fish and pet in frederick and that pet/fish place in lancaster PA. Ricks can order almost anything you want and he has a nice selection of cured live rock if you were to go that route. ( I went into his store last week with a laundry list of equipment needs to restart my tank and found it all.) Ro membranes and cartridges, sand, good test kits, geisemann metal halide bulbs, quality heaters, thermometers, salt mix, timers etc.)The Fish place also has about 6 nice basins for cured live rock and their fish selection and coral selection is always pretty good. I have not been here yet, but Marine Scene in VA looks very promising.

Hope this helps. Good luck and happy reefing!