Recent content by gooch

1. G

gooch tell me more . . .

I don't think there is anything specail about this tank. I like the aquascaping but there are a ton of better looking tanks out there. I had a 400 gallon custom tank at one time that I made all the rock for. Now that looked awesome. But I just got to busy and never even set it up. Took me...
  2. G

gooch tell me more . . .

There is space behind it and no dead spots with flow. If I ever make another one it would fit tight to the glass. The liverock holds it in place. Like I said it was my first one and there is plenty I would do different. I would possibly make it thinner and I would do a couple other things...
  3. G

gooch tell me more . . .

Tonga shuts t down, then lets in in. Then shuts it down. Last I heard some stuff is still coming in(saw an e-mail this week). Not sure if it is liverock.
  4. G

gooch tell me more . . .

Just be careful. Not all clays are the same. Some are loaded with metals and things that can be detrimental to your tank. I would tell you what I use if I could but I can't. I run a business and the clay I use is a gaurded secret. There are companies out there that make ceramic walls for...
  5. G

gooch tell me more . . .

Yeah it is a little dense. But IMHO liverock doesn't do as much for filtration as we think. Liverock density varies from rock to rock. I also believe that most filtration(bacteria that does the filtration) is being done in the first 1/4". Again only my opinion. The thing is I honestly do...
  6. G

gooch tell me more . . .

The rock wall is ceramic. No foam to break down over time. It is not going to flake or chip either. I know the pond foam works but I just am having a hard time trusting it. The ceramic over a couple months begins to look just like liverock. So much so that if you didn't know it you couldn't...
  7. G

gooch tell me more . . .

I got the rock from my lfs. It came in as tonga branch. It was just the thickest stuff I had seen. I couldn't even tell you where you could find it. It was the first time I tried to make a wall plate like that. I wasn't sure about shrinkage and working around the overflow. One of the...
  8. G

gooch tell me more . . .

Here is what it looked like when I first set it up. There wasn't a speck of coralline on the rock. It is starting to take hold and things are starting to look good.
  9. G

gooch tell me more . . .

That is very thick tonga branch rock. It was about 60-70 pounds I think. The biggest one was around 25 pounds. When I saw the rock it inspired me. The back wall is actually three ceramic plates I made. They didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. But it works. The tank is a 65 gallon...
  10. G

What to do.....ICK

I just kicked an ich outbreak in my softy tank. I ground up a little ginger root and added it to my tank. Fish loved it. Ich gone in two days. Let me add that I was close to flushing all my fish. I had lost a flame angel, pigmy flameback angel, my true perc pair, a six line wrasse and I...
  11. G

The 200+ Club

375 gallon nano. Still in dry dock. But getting wet soon. Gooch
  12. G

You tell me.

It is possible it is an lps but the polyps on this coral are super small for an lps. That piece is only about two inches across and I have acropora that has bigger polyps than this guy. I had originally thought it was an lps myself but a few others I showed pics to thought sps. It doesn't...
  13. G

You tell me.

Sps
  14. G

You tell me.

I think I will push my luck and hang on to it for a while. If I start to get boils on my face and limbs start to fall off I will have it sent to you ASAP. Are you HAZMAT certified?
  15. G

Poll:Salt? Fresh? Both? What do you keep?

I am looking into frogs in a vivarium with a waterfall and stream. Not sure if that counts. Also thinking about a 60 gallon fresh for cichlids. But my 400 reef needs to go up first.