Recent content by flier-x

1. F

Leds for aga 75 gallon

actually, what "chipmunkofdoom2 " said is exactly what attracted me to the product. I was upgrading from a Compact Florescent system, which were growing my prized elegance and some other softies quite nicely. I wanted something essentially equivalent, but in an LED. These fit the bill...
  2. F

Leds for aga 75 gallon

I've been using reef brite 36" (3 strips) on my 45g with good results for 3 months now. For your taknk probably 48" strips.
  3. F

4 different thermometers, 4 different readings

Sorry, I mislabeled, #3, the glass thermometer was at 78, Closer to the titanium heater controller (which is what I actually also set my desired temperature on). That leaves the brand new Aqua controller - which should be reliable - out. I will see If I can calibrate it to the glass one.
  4. F

4 different thermometers, 4 different readings

All in sump: #1 reads 79, this is the digital readout on my titanium heater. (I forget the brand) #2 reads 77, this is a small digital stand-alone electronic, cheapie. #3 reads 76, this is a glass/red mercury #4 reads 75, this is my new iTemp probe on my new Digital Aquatics controller...
  5. F

Coral Beauty Angel in a Reef Tank?

I've had a coral beauty in my 29 - which is no upgraded to a 45 for a few years now. Gorgeous fish. Very mellow. Seems to dine on bits of algae growing on the rock and back wall. I've never seen him/her? pick at any corals.
  6. F

Upgraded from the 29 to a 45

45 Gallon with overflow Eshiopps Sump, Reef Dynamics skimmer, Reef Brite LED lighting
  7. F

Want your opinion on LED lighting!

There is a lot of commentary in this thread regarding wattage, 1W bulbs not being strong enough, thus a 48W strip not being able to replace a CFL or T5 of similar size, etc... I don't know if this is true or not, but I do believe that talking about watts is the wrong measure. Lumens seems like...
  8. F

brown on live sand

Despite various powerhead arrangements, the problem doesn't seem to go away. If I clear the stuff out by stirring the top layer of sand, it will come back within a day. Perhaps it is a diatom bloom, but the tank is 1 1/2 years old. Everything is healthy. Nitrates are at or near zero...
  9. F

brown on live sand

I'm guessing diatoms, as it is dusty brown. Perhaps if I reduce my lighting cycle? You don't think it's a circulation issue? I wonder what my phosphate levels are, though if it were a water condition problem, I'd expect it to be more uniform across the tank, not just in certain spots (same...
  10. F

brown on live sand

Lately, I've been getting the brown growth on my live sand bed, but only in certain areas. I suspect they are dead spots of circulation, but I can't seem to find a position of my 2 pumps (Hydor Koralia #1) to eliminate them, and at the same time not blast my prized elegance coral with too much...
  11. F

HELP!! Need a QUIET chiller for my AquaPod 24!!

I've been using a JBJ nano chiller (1/15 HP) on my 29g tank. I drive it with a maxi-jet 1200 (inside the tank). Generates enough pressure to pump the water 4' down to the floor and back up again with no problem. My house is not Air conditioned, and the chiller keeps the tank cool enough...
  12. F

flier-x's 29 Gallon

Thanks... I'm pleased. This tank is definitely going better at 1 year than my last tank (60g) did. Not that the 60g was bad, but at 1 year it had 12-25ppm Nitrates that I never could get down much lower than that. brown algae growth on the live rock that I'd have to siphon off, etc... I...
  13. F

flier-x's 29 Gallon

Tank 12 months in. Sadly, 6 line depicted earlier along with a strawberry jumped out of the tank on the same day. Not sure how or why, but they were both on the floor behind the tank. (about 1 month ago). Anyway, the Elegance - my pride and joy of the tank - is flourishing and I got a new...
  14. F

My Aqua C Remora Pro is not workin?

Mine started acting the same way after about 4 months. There were practically no bubbles being formed in the main simmer unit, let alone enough to get up into the cup. I took the screw on the jet out and RIGOROUSLY cleaned in the hole with the brush they provided. Now tons of foam, have...
  15. F

AquaC Remora

I too was shocked at how loud it was when I first hooked mine up. But I made a little pad out of paper towels, put it on top of the injection spray thing, and it made a HUGE difference, wihtout interfering with the foam production. They should sell the thing with a pre-cut piece of filter pad...