Recent content by Dracunculus

1. Dracunculus

Hurricane FRANCES

My condolences Luis. Your tank was beautiful and I can't imagine what that loss must feel like. I only wish you the best for the future. I'm sure you cna build it back again even better than it was.,
  2. Dracunculus

Welcome Melev!

Welcome Marc!! Glad to see you branching out to other online communities as well. Look forward to your insights and help on the forums here (as well as more pictures of your fantastic new 280)
  3. Dracunculus

Sea Urchins: A Chemical Perspective RHF

I saw this before you posted about it and read the article. While a somewhat less practical topic compared to the rest of Randy's articles, it is certainly an interesting read (especially for those of us who work in a biology related field).
  4. Dracunculus

New fish

I would quarantine, except that I fall among that large group of aquarists who know that they should quarantine, but don't. I know I am tempting fate, but I have not as of yet been burned (and as a human being, I feel free to revel in my denial..hehe). My hippo tang did break out in ich...
  5. Dracunculus

New fish

As promised, here is a photo.
  6. Flame Angel

Flame Angel

This is the flame angel I bought about 1 week ago. It is doing well so far...eats most of the frozen foods I feed the tank, and swims nicely in the open. No signs of it bothering any of my corals as of yet.
  7. Dracunculus

New fish

Well, after reading a lot about dwarf angels, I finally decided to take the plunge and bought a Flame Angel last week. So far there have no problems in the tank..it has adapted nicely to its new home and is eating most of the foods I feed the tank with. My corals remain untouched to this...
  8. Dracunculus

RO/DI specials

advntrsekrs: Lots of people do just what you have suggested...use the "waste" water for other purposes. It all depends what you do with the line for the waste water. Some people just plump it directly into a drain pipe, but then the water goes down the drain. I have mine loose at the...
  9. Dracunculus

RO/DI specials

My tap TDS is around 125 and I get 0...so yes, you should be able to get 0 as well.
  10. Dracunculus

skinny fish

Metronidazole is an antibiotic which kills bacteria...will not touch the parasites.
  11. Dracunculus

Cloosed Loop Plan?

One thing I did notice about your pump is that it is resting right on a solid surface. The noise is dampened quite a bit (at least on mine) by resting it on a mouse pad. I don't hear it at all over the whine of my canopy fan anyway :D
  12. Dracunculus

RO/DI specials

I'll put in my plug for these units as well. I bought one from Joe and it has been working beautifully. May look into a 75 GPD membrane in the future when I need to replace the 100 (actually replace the replacement, since I already bought a second).
  13. Dracunculus

The dream is taking shape

Looks great. Just one question- are you sure you want to have a tank within range of a pool table? I keep thinking about getting a larger tank to put in my basement (even have room for a fish room down there as well), but I am afraid to do it near the pool table. Have visions of a ball...
  14. Dracunculus

Black PVC

You could also color it with a permanent marker (e.g. a sharpie). I have seen recent posts on this on ReefCentral, and it does not seem to be toxic to the tank. You might want to double check with one of the chemists around here, but the person who used it did it on the word of Randy...
  15. Dracunculus

Good Morning Everybody!

Good morning all. See Gina's post above regarding the weather. Tank related: last night I re-introduced my protein skimmer (though this time it is hanging off of the sump instead of behind the tank) after a few month experiment with going skimmerless. It seemd to be working fine...