Recent content by borderreef

1. B

how do you acclimatise your livestock?

Drip acclimation is a catch 22, espesially if you order online. During shipping, the fish breath, giving off CO2. They deficate, producing waste. This takes place in a closed bag. As soon as you open the bag and expose it it O2, the ammonium produced becomes ammonia, sometimes at toxic...
  2. B

Hi from Franklin, MA!

It's a wicked pissa ta have ya back!
  3. B

Question about rock placement

I didn't see that you were running any type of skimmer. The fish I'd be most concerned with is the scooter blenny. He's most likely to starve in such a small, young tank. I'm old school when it comes to rock. The more the better, within reason. Meaning, there has to be flow through the...
  4. B

The Myreeftoyours fan club

I've been a fan for some tme. Just placed another 2 orders this week!! Great prices, great corals, great customer service.
  5. B

My Reef To Yours A+

I just placed my second order this week from My Reef To Yours. For frags, you just can't beat his prices, and Jared's coral quality and level of customer service is second to none. Keep up the great work!!
  6. B

Lyretail Wrasse for trade or free Worcester MA area

Lots of views but no takers, huh? My lfs has boarding tanks for customers, so maybe they'll take him back. I'll have to give them a call.
  7. B

Is this Aquascape ok?

I like it. But the important question is do you? Like art, music, food, everyone has their own preferences.
  8. B

Frag Swap...

Frag swaps are the best. You can find some really great deals, and not just those tiny frags you find online for $1,000,000. I just attended one a couple weeks ago and came away with 12 "frags", all a minimum of 2" and multiple heads, and three huge colonies. At the end, one guy who did not...
  9. B

UPGRADING TANK! Lots of questions!!!

Oh yeah, protein skimmer. For a 180, again, the bigger the better. And don't go the cheap route on this particular piece of equipment. You get what you pay for, and spending more now for something that will last years as opposed to replacing something that is not doing the job is more cost...
  10. B

UPGRADING TANK! Lots of questions!!!

Ditch the glass if you plan on having corals. As stated, you can custom build a screen for the jumpers. BRS has a tutorial and supplies. The sump should be as big as you can get for a 180. I'm not quite sure, but if I read you right, you have the stand but not the dt. If you can dismantle...
  11. B

Rock scape question

The other thing when piling rock against the glass, it becomes a place to collect lots or ditritus. You need the flow back there.
  12. B

RockWork

If you are going for a minimalist look that looks natural, this is what I think it should look like. This is what I see when snorkling. Low profile, no giant spaces between rocks, no huge pillars. Just gorgeous. But that's my opinion, and we all know what those are like.
  13. B

RockWork

I know I'm a late comer to this thread, but this tank is WICKED!! If I had the artistic flare I had in my younger days, my aquascape would look like this. It's very much what I had in mind when I was rescaping these past few weeks, but it turned into 2 giant islands. Very nice. Any updates?
  14. B

Lyretail Wrasse for trade or free Worcester MA area

I have a 5" Lyretail Wrasse (sold as a Mexican Rock Wrasse) that I would like to get out of my reef tank. Great fish, swims the length of my 6' tank, in and out of rocks. Doesn't bother my clown, hawk, of yellow eyed kole's (who follows the wrasse around like a puppy). Doesn't bother corals...
  15. B

T5 replacement

I like the ATI bulbs. Good quality. I am replacing 4 of my 6 with the true actinics. I like the dark blue look. Supplimenting these with the Blue Plus. We'll see how long I keep it this way.