Recent content by AC273

1. AC273

Acan Led's

I have the first generation and the second generation version. The first generation version was only blue and white cree LED's, the second gen has a controller and utilizes 3 deep blue, 3 cool white, and 2 aqua blue and 1 warm white cree LED's. (on 3 separate channels) The color coloration...
  2. AC273

Torch, Hammer & Frogspawn Help

My frogspawn is at the top of my tank and loving it. I think they can be pretty adaptable as long as you give them time to adjust. Blasting them( or any coral) with light right away is never a good idea.
  3. AC273

Experience with montipora and lighting

I had a forest fire monti at the bottom of my tank, moved him up to the top 3rd and he loves it there. Medium flow. His neighbor is an orange digital that is looking beautiful. I use Cree led supplemented by twin t5 48" lights. (One attinic one coral plus) Mine seem to be light lovers. I...
  4. AC273

Ugly tank syndrome

Looks like u have a hob filter or fuge. Drop some phosguard and gfo in there and see if that helps. X2 on the substrate. Although I have seen other reef tanks like this. They generally run a sump with sand and live rock to make up for the displays lack of sandbed.
  5. AC273

Direct sunlight

First off....nice rockscape!!! Second, many of the reefers here will say direct sunlight is bad from a temp standpoint. However, I have never had temp issues. My house has an excellent hvac system, so the tank says a consistent temp. my system monitors temp and logs it every hour over 7...
  6. AC273

How long for mushrooms to attach?

I had one take a month to fully attach, so try and stress them out as little as possible
  7. AC273

anyone have any knowledge about an arrow crab attacking a bubble tip??

Never heard of that! My arrow would just steal anemone food from the anemone
  8. AC273

Torch, Hammer & Frogspawn Help

Or dim your lights if the led are dimmable
  9. AC273

Acan Led's

I have a micmol aqua mini. The Cree lights are nice. Gen 2 is the way to go
  10. AC273

Killing apistasia help

Since you are moving your tank anyway, put the rocks in another container to treat them and leave the Aiptasia X on for about 48 hours. I suggest another container as you don't want any flow during this period. I have had a lot of luck with Aiptasia X, mostly because I allow it to sit on the...
  11. AC273

Micro-Brittle Stars

No in my experience. Six-lines eat smaller things like pods and sometimes flat worms. Melanarus wrasse are more of the hunters and would eat baby brittle stars, baby snails, flat worms, pods, brittle worms, and pretty much anything else they think they can swallow. Don't seem to bother my SPS...
  12. AC273

what is your favorite l/r hitchhiker?

Yeah... don't go that route. That guy was an idiot! Aiptasia X works, but you need to move the rock to QT with no flow and let it say on the aiptasia for 48 hours. My favorite hitcher was my plate coral. I saw little tenticals and almost aiptasia X'ed it, but I am glad I took a...
  13. AC273

First coral

Your question needs more info (for any coral). Xenia are very hardy and adaptable, so put them where YOU like them the most. Just not too much flow. However, if you ask this question again, let people know what size tank you have, what you use for flow, and most important...what your...
  14. AC273

Purple tang or powder blue

I am going to agree that the purple and the yellow together will not end well for anyone involved. That said (as I wrote in another thread) do not keep tangs from the same family together. They will always be competing with eachother. If you really want two tangs, then make sure they are...
  15. AC273

The multiple sand proposition

I have two tanks, one has a 3.5"-4.5" bed and the fish dig around in it too much and burry live rock and what not... so when I did my new tank I made the sand bed 1.5"-2" and am completely happy with that depth. I still have all the sand critters (worms, dusters, etc) but none of the fish seem...