Zoa growth/spreading?

jonathan10

I bought a small piece of rock with Orange Zoas on it from my LFS. I have had it for about two months, and I haven't really noticed it spreading at all. They told me with the Metal Halides that I have that these would spread rapidly....I know rapid in the Saltwater fish tank world could be months, but I was just curious about how long that should take. There is a picture of the rock/zoas in my galary, but it won't let me post it in this thread...sorry its kinda blurry it was taken from my PDA.

I feed the all of my corals cyclopse and phyto-plankton at least two times a week.

Any suggestions on how I can speed up the process?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Really all you need to do is maintain high water quality and in time they will spread. Some zoas spread like crazy and some are much slower. That's why some are so cheap and some SO pricey.

Just enjoy them and they will take off. Don't go trying to use "Coral Booster" or you run the risk of creating cascading water quality issues.

:)

jonathan10

Ok! I haven't used anything yet! I just want a colony of these thing becasue they are SO pretty! But I know...patience is key with this salt water venture!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Also keep in mind that they may have went through a slight "shock" phase if your lights are much different than the lights they came from. It's tough to just sit back and ACCEPT what happens but the more you do that the better your tank will do. My tank does best when I am "OUT OF TOWN!" What's wrong with that picture :)

jonathan10

it says that the file is to big and has to be 64.7 kb's or smaller or something like that and I'm not savy enough on th ecomputer to know how to make make it that size!

BigJay

open a photobucket account. Its free.(photobucket.com) Then insert the IMG tag here. It will auto resize the photo but it will still be much bigger then the upload limit on the forum.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
it says that the file is to big and has to be 64.7 kb's or smaller or something like that and I'm not savy enough on th ecomputer to know how to make make it that size!

It's not HARD to do and I have written instructions if you insist on doing it that way but... it's so much easier to do it via PB as Jay has suggested.

chrome91

it should take a month or two. i bought a rock with 200 zoas, and within a 5 months directly under a 150w MH there are at least 1000 heads

plahka

Maybe the MH is too much. I have eagle eye zoas under pc lights about mid-tank and they went from 5 to 15 polyps in the past 6 weeks. I had a different zoa up high and they slowly died off. Under PCs!!

chrome91

post a pic of that huge zoa rock chrome

my camera is MIA, but ive got a pic from a long time ago. its the brown ones to the right of the anthelia, the patch has now grown all the way to the back of the tank and covered the rock up to the green galaxia in the middle of the pic (pic was taken during my cyano stage, cyanos long gone)

12-06-08_1536.jpg

chrome91

theyre doing good, theyre directly under my halides but for some reason like it there. when i get my mantis im going to frag some over to his tank

jonathan10

and also...over the weekend I bought a piece of live rock from the LFS (the owner just cleaned out a tank at her house) and a small rock that I bought has a TINY feather duster and TINY zoa on it...can't wait for these to get bigger....how long does it normally tank feather dusters to grow?

jonathan10

I have two 16k 200 watt MH....I think...I bought them used from my LFS and I can't remember exactly. She just told me they were perfect for a reef tank!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Neither of those "Designations" for K or Watts.

I'm NO expert but the normal (standard) designations for wattage are

150, 175, 250 and 400W. Now I'm not saying 200 is impossible but I haven't seen it. Then again there are a LOT of things I haven't seen yet :)

jonathan10

lol..oops...im definately no expert....it is 250 then because I know it was 2-something. Man I feel dumb. What is the highest for the MH's then? Then i think it is 20k maybe?