Megs first reef Experience (29g acrylic)

Triggerjay

My 9 year old daughter decided she wants a saltwater tank. She has been helping me for a while with my stuff, and the salt bug bit her. So, tonight we set up her tank. The tank consists of a 29g Ocean View acrylic tank, 65W X 2 PC lighting, a 200w stealth heater, Skilter 250 and a couple powerheads for circulation. We have been planning this for a while, so we have been stocking up on LR, sand, and livestock. All the supplies were temp housed in a 40g breeder frag tank tied to my system. The original plan was to tie her tank into my system, so she wouldn't have to do water changes, but after thought, we decided not to tie it into my system, incase one system crashes. She insists I post a pic tonght of the sandstorm. So,... drumroll please:

Megstank001.jpg

Tomorrow, if the storm has cleared, we will add her livestock. She has a myspace, so she knows her way around a computer, so I will have her continue this thread herself, aside from me helping her post pictures.

Megan says "Thanks for lookin!"

Jason

reefer4200

Sweet, looking forward to what your imagination will bring!! At such an early age, you will have a tank of the month in the future...!!!!

Triggerjay

Should we add more rock? and how do you clean acrylic (inside the tank) will a mag float scratch it?

That yellow striped maroon is beautiful! Although I'm a little biased I suppose...I just bought one that looks just like her a month ago with an anemone and I've grown quite attached.

Looking good so far...

iSIPPLE

With my acrylic tank, I used plastic razor blades and a Mag-Float magnetic algae cleaner with an acrylic-safe scrubbing pads. They cost somewhere between $7-10 and you can purchase both the scrubbing pads and plastic razor blades at Aquarium Cleaning Products . In my opinion, you have plenty of rock but it's all about what you like. Good luck with the tank, looks like you're off to a great start!

tbittner

They make mag floats for acrylic tanks. Make sure it's marked "For Acrylic" and it "shouldn't" scratch. I have glass tanks so I haven't used them.

I think you have plenty of rock. It looks great!

iSIPPLE

With my acrylic tank, I used plastic razor blades and a Mag-Float magnetic algae cleaner with an acrylic-safe scrubbing pads. They cost somewhere between $7-10 and you can purchase both the scrubbing pads and plastic razor blades at Aquarium Cleaning Products . In my opinion, you have plenty of rock but it's all about what you like. Good luck with the tank, looks like you're off to a great start!

Varga

Mag floats made for acrylic still scratch if a little grain of sand gets under the magnet.

iSIPPLE

Mag floats made for acrylic still scratch if a little grain of sand gets under the magnet.

Good point. I used mine for about 2 years without any problems. I guess I got lucky. If you stay away from the sand with the Mag Float and use the plastic razor blades near the bottom, you should be fine.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Very cool Meg! Lee My 9 Year old will be happy to know there is another 9 year old girl here. I will Point her this way after school.

Triggerjay

Ok, I got Megan her own account set up now (Thanks Woodstock & Travis) So when she comes inside from playing, I will give her the crash course.

Jason