New 32g

Darla

You can have 2 black or two orange or a black and an orange- but don't get 3 or it will be trouble, you want a peaceful tank where all the fish play well together.

Here an older post related...

I believe (Doni - woodstock) who was our RS clown fish expert said once the problem is having 3

if you search for RS members woodstock she has lots of post and stickies - she was a renown breeder of clownfish.

all clownfish are born male - the most dominate one will convert to a female - a very fascinating fact

my guess is the bullying is related to having 3

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...le-when-the-current-female-of-the-group-dies/

Seems like a thing. Odd numbers equal bullies.
I am way ok with having 4 lol

Oxylebius

Agree that when adding clowns to a tank, having one a little bigger then the other makes it easier on the fish due to a little less bickering as they grow and as one gains dominance over the other.

There have been some successes with a large harem of clownfish being added to a large tank (usually an anemone is involved) where they do fine. But, in smaller tanks it is best to either have only one or two, but not more. If it is a long enough tank some have had two pairs, but again success rates are low. That doesn't mean you won't hear someone say they did it w/o issue. What it means is that they are the exception not the norm. And you need to take into account how long they've had that success. 1 year or so if not so successful compared to those of us who have had paired clowns for greater than 5 years.

My two B&W clowns just turned 6 years old in October (captive breed, bought locally from reefer). Here they are in March 2012 at five months old.

IMG_23792_zps2674774c.jpg

And in 2016 laying eggs

upload_2018-11-18_10-55-55.jpeg

Darla

Agree that when adding clowns to a tank, having one a little bigger then the other makes it easier on the fish due to a little less bickering as they grow and as one gains dominance over the other.

There have been some successes with a large harem of clownfish being added to a large tank (usually an anemone is involved) where they do fine. But, in smaller tanks it is best to either have only one or two, but not more. If it is a long enough tank some have had two pairs, but again success rates are low. That doesn't mean you won't hear someone say they did it w/o issue. What it means is that they are the exception not the norm. And you need to take into account how long they've had that success. 1 year or so if not so successful compared to those of us who have had paired clowns for greater than 5 years.

My two B&W clowns just turned 6 years old in October (captive breed, bought locally from reefer). Here they are in March 2012 at five months old.

IMG_23792_zps2674774c.jpg

And in 2016 laying eggs

View attachment 48752
They're so cute.
So 2 not 4

Darla

Picked up some more live rock again today.
We're going at a slow pace. But that's ok.
I noticed we have some algea starting on what was in there.
There was a glitch in the scale and they couldn't weigh it properly. So i got a few pounds for $1.44
They wouldnt take more for it. I'm not complaining lol

Darla

Out of everything i have had in my system, and how much has changed as i went from a 29-75-110, there has been one constant.

Blemo. He is our Black Osc... (i hate spelling that word) and he has traveled with us from NJ, to FL, to TX and survived my learning curves and constant moves over the years.

So i love those clowns for sure :D

Ok,so the live rock i bought from LFS has algea on it. Since i have a bare tank i dropped it in.
It kinda went away the first few days,but now all the rocks seem to be pretty covered. I also added more today,from the same store and same tank.

This is helpful for my cycling right?

I asked them.if I should scrub the rock because it seemed like an excessive amount of algea in their tank. But it's not nasty in mine.
Thoughts??

Oxylebius

Do you have any pictures of the algae? Some are easier to get rid of then others. And some of the snails you will buy may eat some types of algae, but not others. It all depends on the algae if you need to pull the rocks out and scrub or not. Some algae have roots into the rock and are a bear to get rid of. I hope that this isn't the case where the lfs sold you some really cheap rocks b/c they were full of algae :ponder2: That would really suck. :(

Darla

Do you have any pictures of the algae? Some are easier to get rid of then others. And some of the snails you will buy may eat some types of algae, but not others. It all depends on the algae if you need to pull the rocks out and scrub or not. Some algae have roots into the rock and are a bear to get rid of. I hope that this isn't the case where the lfs sold you some really cheap rocks b/c they were full of algae :ponder2: That would really suck. :(
I will post a pic after work.

Hoping its beneficial

Darla

This is one rock lol,I had my husband send me a pic... he seemed to think this is what I meant.

Attachments

• Resized_20181118_182225_4607.jpeg
    Resized_20181118_182225_4607.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 13

Oxylebius

+1 take the algae off of that. A clean toothbrush does the job really well on such a small rock. Rise well with either RODI water or rise outside the tank with the tank water.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
if you right click on a pic, copy image address and then click on the little picture frame icon, add it there it will show up big :)

Sorry... not enoght detail for me to id, maybe some others will have some ideas, is is red?

index.php

Darla

So the algea turned to a rust color and is creeping across the bottom... this happened fast. Really fast.