Current USA Orbit Pro lights

Susanedw

I'm trying to figure out what lights for a 125g mixed reef tank. 72x18x22

I'm on a tight budget--like 700 bucks. I was looking at the Current USA loop Marine Pro for approx 600 bucks. It includes 2 lights and the loop controller system. There is also the maybe advantage of using the pumps and wavemakers that hook into this lighting system.

I could buy 2 of the eflux wavemakers and their return pump in Feb. when I hopefully get water in tank to start cycle, and add the lights in March or April before I add livestock. Figured I'd cycle with no lighting.

The return pump is a wash price wise with the jebao. The higher flow rated wave makers are more than the jebao's I was going to use so I'd have to just start with 2 and not 4.

anyone have any experience with either the pro lights or the pumps? Should I stick with my original plan of jebao's and try just the lights.

I like the fact that I can do sunrise and sunset, and the clouds and lightening effects might be cool for my little granddaughters when they come to visit. Plus, I can get a 72 inch for my 72 inch tank and not have to order 3 of anything else.

I also looked at the 200 buck kessils and at 24x24 coverage, would need 3. Not sure what their software includes or if those lights are strong enough for my tank. The ones at 349 ea put it out of my budget range for right now.

The SB lights are out of my budget right now as well.

I think I've a headache from light research....

DaveK

Lighting for a reef tank is very dependent upon what you want to keep in the tank. Since your planning a mixed reef system, I'm assuming that you plan for some corals and the like. These have high light requirements.

I hate to tell you this but the Current Marine PRO system is just not going to cut it for this type of tank. At only 144 watts and 288 small LEDs, averaging about 1/2 w each, you might as well try using a few candles on your tank.

Just to give you an idea, on my 125 gal reef, I use four AI Hydra 52 fixtures. They are about 135 w each as max. I typically run them at about 80% max. As a note, I mostly keep soft corals, which have fairly low light requirements as corals go.

I also have two Current Satellite +Pro fixtures on my FW planted tank. Such tanks have much less light than a SW reef system. Even so, that's about 90 w of LED lighting for the plants.

You didn't list the model you were looking at for the Kessil fixtures, but I suspect it was the A160WE due to the price. These fixtures are only about 40 w each, so you'd tend to have similar lighting issues with these on a 125 gal tank. If I were considering Kessil, I'd be looking at the A360WE which are about 90 w each.

With LED lighting you also have another factor. LED light likes to point straight down. On a point fixture like the Kessil, the light forms a cone that is very bright in the center and gets dimmer as you go our. On strip fixtures like the Current Marine the light pattern is like an "A" if viewed from the end of the tank. In both cases, if your not careful, you can have the bottom of the tank look great, but at the surface there are very bright areas and very dim areas. Personally I can't stand this "effect" at all. Other people are not bothered by it at all.

Yea, I know, lighting is often one of the most expensive parts of a SW reef system.

Susanedw

DaveK

The small wattage LEDs can be an issue. Large wattage LEDs, typically about 3 w to 5 w each will penetrate deeper tanks much better. That's why you see most of the high end fixtures using them.

You could use three fixtures, and they should easily fit over the tank. However that does mean dealing with them every time you want to get into the tank. With two, it's real easy to slide them out of the way.

Now getting back to your question. If your asking if the Current Marine PRO lighting will work, I'd have to say yes. However, if your asking is this the best solution or if I would use them myself, I'd say no to that.

That being said, you could go with them as long as you realize what your getting involved with. You may not get good results trying to grow SPS corals or other high light requirement livestock, like clams. If your willing to live with that you should be ok.

In any case, keep looking for now. This is one area where if you make a mistake, it's going to be expensive to correct.

I don't want to recommend a specific fixture here, because while I have used or at least seen most of the major brands in action, there are many lessor brands I've not seen. Also, this is a developing area and new, better fixtures come out all the time.

zeeGGee

Here’s my 2yr old sumpless 55gal tank with 1 48” Orbit Marine and 1 48” Orbit Marine Pro...I thought I was doing fish only tank thats why I have these lights..so far I like them...no plans of upgrading yet...
7d3fc2de0abe57134f94f662a1d4785a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susanedw

@zeeGGee Wow! They seem to be doing well for your corals! I think part of my appeal is the ability to control lights, pump and wavemakers in one system. How deep is your tank?

I also like the reefbreeder lights but they cost more. One reason I'm trying to pin this down is I need to buy pumps and wavemakers within 2 weeks so am trying to decide on this system or the jebao/coralbox wavemakers and jebao pump. Jebao is cheaper than Coral Box, even though I think they are the same company. Gotta say, the AIO RS was easy. No decisions...

Iloveaquariums

Hey guys I know it's a little late but I came across this thread while looking for info on the Current USA Pro LED light.

I read the referenced review above and found it to be pretty basic and not very helpful. However, I did find a much better article (below) and though I'd share it with the group in case anybody is looking for information on the same lights.

Here is the link: https://www.tropicalfishcareguides....urrent-usa-satellite-freshwater-led-plus-pro/

Hopefully, you find it useful.
Take care.

DaveK

Hey guys I know it's a little late but I came across this thread while looking for info on the Current USA Pro LED light.....

Not to give you a hard time, especially on your first post, but the review specifically stated that it's about the freshwater LED fixture. The SW fixture uses very different LEDs in it. They really are not comparable fixtures.

I use two of the FW fixturers on my 90 gal planted tank. I would consider this a minimum for a high tech planted tank. However, the amount of light produced would not even come close to what I have over my reef tank.

I also have a few issues with the review as used on a FW planted tank. I'm not going to go into them here, since this is mostly a SW reef forum.