HELP! Algae problem, corals may be dying.

Akvaristu

Hello RS,

Two weeks ago I decided to upgrade my tank with new lights (replaced one fluorescent of my RSM 130), new pumps (eheim 600), skimmer (Tunze 9001)and added carbon (Fluval activated carbon) .

Since then, I observed strange behaviour of my RBTA and many corals.
The anemone hide for few days and came back to its spot but is not as expanded as before.

The torch coral won't open and this morning I observed it may be dying (bleaching? ). Also, There's a strange organism growing on its side. (see pictures).

My biggest blue mushroom is shrinked and dark.

All fish, candy cane and Xenia seems to be doing OK.

Besides all that, there is a major brown hairy and cyano algae outbreak. I've been doing water change (RO/DI) every other day but I couldn't see any beneficial effects.

PH 7.4
Salinity 1.025 (stable)
Nitrites 0.2 ppm
Nitrate 2 ppm
Temperature 78°f
(Unfortunately I don't have alkanity, calcium or Ammonia test kit)

What could be causing this major problem and what can I do?

ed3798e8558bbce9d1fcc534c88a46a9.jpg

5597f6214d7c53a5bc984f66b2405888.jpg

bddcd8a4c9cbbb36c916409dc2057cbe.jpg

d0c526001b61e9f699ab6d52c394a49d.jpg

Last edited:

Dracko

Are your water filters in need of replacing? Looks like a water quality problem to me.

Squatch XXL

Where do you get your water from? Do you use RO/DI or have a fish store mix it up?

If you use RO/DI, do you know if your water supply is treated with chloramines? If you do not know, you should check. IF your water company uses chloramines, repeated water changes will only make the situation worse. Chloramines are are more "stable" analog to chlorine. It can take quite a long time for them to evaporate/self-destruct....whereas chlorine will evap in a few hours to a day+ depending on water movement.

Akvaristu

I removed the carbon yesterday to be sure it was not releasing waste. I don't have any other filtration media. Should I add polywhool to remove solid waste and change it everyday?

I do have a fairly new RO/DI unit. I measured 0 ppm with my TDS meter but unfortunately I don't know if the tap water contains chloramines. Isn't the RO/DI supposed to trap these?
FWIW, I leave the water mixing for at least 24-48 hours before adding it to the aquarium.

Squatch XXL

I was always under the impression that that chloramines needed specifically designed cartridges. I could be totally wrong....I am lucky enough to not have chloramines (yet). However, again before you assume contact your water company to verify.

First thing first, I would go get an ammonia test kit. You are showing Nitrites, which should be 0. Test your fresh mix for ammonia, test your tank also.

Akvaristu

Thanks for your replies (and sorry for the delay, the forum was down yesterday).
I've sent an email to my city administration, maybe they can give me more information about our water quality.
I'll purchase an Ammonia test kit for saltwater. Do you suggest a particular brand?

Meanwhile, I continue to monitor the tank. The RBTA was hidden yesterday.
I also reduced the feeding frequency to (Mysis) every 3 days. Fish are still doing great.

cracker

Hearing that the local water company may be using cloramines instead of clorine to treat the water is new to me. Is this difference between the two a big deal concerning our water quality or a ploy to sell another product? Sorry to be cynical but,,,

Akvaristu

Sorry for your troubles...hopefully temporary.....

Nitrites must be zero.

How long has your tank been set up?
Yes hopefully! I want to understand what's going on but there are so many factors to evaluate.

The tank was started in July 2015, so about 5 months ago.

The RBTA was open tonight, maybe a good sign. I'll keep with frequent water changes.

Thanks!

Dracko

I know that nitrates should be at 0, but they are not that high. Could that low a swing really cause that much coral to crash that quickly?

Akvaristu

I searched a lot before posting but couldn't find a specific answer to the acceptable level of Nitrites and Nitrates. Some say that it's poisonous; others that's not really harmful (for fish, softies and LPS)

Corals are acting strange but there's also the algae bloom. I must scrape the glass every other day if I want to see something in there! Snails graze some of it but it's spreading too fast and they can't keep up.
I know that Nitrates and Phosphates can cause algae problems but what else?

Envoyé de mon SM-N900W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

Varga

Usually a tank has not completed they cycle until nitrites are zero. Are you sure of those numbers?

Akvaristu

Usually a tank has not completed they cycle until nitrites are zero. Are you sure of those numbers?
Yes sure, as of my observations (test results), the tank already completed its initial cycle a few months ago.

Maybe I was too generous on the feeding so accumulated waste turned into ammonia, then into Nitrites.

Akvaristu

Good afternoon,

So, I got a (not expected) detailed reply from my city water department.
They measured low levels of Chloramines (0.2 ppm) which I guess is removed, for the most part, by the RODI.

To be continued...

Squatch XXL

Any update? I wonder if the chloramines even though small are causing some die-offs...possibly bacteria. Did you get an ammonia check on your tank?

I came back to this thread because I contacted my water company a few times yesterday. The first conversation I had required me to explain to them what chloramines are. They transferred me to the service department....where I left a very detailed message letting them know that I needed a simple yes/no answer. 6 hours later I called again and let them know that I was prepared to wait on hold for the next 6 hours.
I was transferred to someone who advised me that none is used at the moment. This is where the conversation became very very scary for me. I asked if they would provide written notice prior to a chloramine change over (I feel that it is inevitable in all public water situations...It is not IF but WHEN it happens). I was then told that there would be no such notice, but they took my number and promised to call me IF it did change.

This SCARES me and should scare everyone. There is allegedly no harm to the general population from chloramines. However There can be issues with (IIRC) kidney dialysis patients AND aquatic life. The public outcry would be huge and swift IF there was a public notice of changeover, and I think that would be their reason for not being proactive with their information. There is no reason EVER that public water and its chemical treatment should not have advanced notice. The customers opinions (right or wrong) would not be considered in this situation.

Keep that in mind. IF any of us have odd unexplained things, it may be worth contacting the water co and asking. It may kill a few of our corals, but it may also cause issues for dialysis patients on home care.

Akvaristu

I've stopped doing water change for 2 weeks... everybody in the tank seems to be doing better.
Since the beginning of this water problem, I only lost my flower pot coral.
The torch coral started to reopen this morning and show its bright colors.
Algae is still growing crazy fast. I scrape front and side windows every other day and let the snails taking care the LR and sand.

There is no trace of Ammonia in the water.
I'll do a water change this week and see what happens.

melvis

What are your Magnesium, Alkalinity and Calcium levels? These are important to monitor if you've got corals. I struggle with Alk and as such, sadly lost a couple of corals before Christmas and am still battling to maintain decent levels. Could also be high phosphates. Salifert kits are good at reading low levels but be aware, just because they may show 0 or 0.03, doesn't mean that you haven't got them as that's why the algae is thriving. Your live rock may also be full of it and leaching this out, further fuelling it.

Akvaristu

Honestly I never analyzed Magnesium, Alkalinity and Calcium levels. I thought the regular addition of salt would keep those parameters stable. I guess I'll need to pull the trigger and buy a "master" test kit of some reputed brand to get to the bottom of this water problem.

Akvaristu

For those who were interested, I Identified the thing that was growing on the side of my torch coral. It's a vermetid and I'll remove it ASAP. It seems to irritate the coral.