New tank Startup

stevenc

So, well I am very new to this. Bought a Red Sea Max C130, that was established. Moved all the live rock and sand, kept it all submerged) and now have it set up and running on day 2. PH is sitting at 8.2, sal is at 1.021. Once i figure out how to post pics i will upload some

wscttwolfe

Welcome..

Tell us a little more about your tank! How established was it? What livestock/corals are you keeping?

As an aside, your salinity is a little low if you're keeping corals. I would start topping off your tank with saltwater until the salinity comes to 1.024-1.026

stevenc

library

stevenc

Day 3 Sal is at 1.022 and PH is at 8.2. Should I be concerned about the algae growing on the sand and sides of the tank?
20141006_125149_zpsdb22922c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

stevenc

Well, cleanup crew added today. 10 blue leg hermit crabs, 2 red scarlet hermit crabs, 5 serith snails and 3 trochus snails.

stevenc

Can anyone tell me what the tube thing on the rock is, looks like a worm but opens like it is blooming
20141007_183036_zps48f99fcb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20141007_182956_zps31bb8d7a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Does seem like a lot of algae for 3 days, cuc should help.

A few questions -

Did you use existing water or new saltwater?

Are you running lights al of the time? If you are then need to reduce amount of time switched on to reduce algae growth

Is skimmer on? If not then probably need to switch on

What are water readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

stevenc

Clean up crew is doing amazing on the tank.
I used 75% original salt water and 25% new. Skimmer is on. I run the lights for 8hrs a day, Nitrate were at 0, ammonia was just above 0, Nitrites at 0.