Morgan's s500

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm dreading trying to change one number & it causing me to have to add stuff to change all the other numbers.
I could easily mess up. I hope this is going to be a lot easier than my mind is making it out to be :fingerx:

coralrama

Just in case this is thread is starting to look like an obsession with levels, let me clarify that I'm raising my magnesium in an attempt to eradicate some fast growing bryopsis.

So, I'm currently obsessed with my levels, but looking forward to being obsessed with some other aspect of my tank soon :)

coralrama

Making fish cakes?:tongue:

Lol, I hope not! I did also add some seltzer yesterday as my PH is getting over 8.4. I seem to be putting more and more of my kitchen in my tank.

My bryopsis-fightin Tech M arrived today as well - but unfortunately not in a useable form. When I picked the box up off the porch I thought, "gee this is the lightest gallon I've ever felt". Followed by, "why is this box so wet?"

The child proof cap somehow unscrewed itself during shipping (there must have been a small child in there at some point), and the whole thing emptied into the box. It probably also emptied onto whatever was under it in the truck, I hope no one had ordered a case of cheerios or something.

So, I chatted with amazon and got a credit, and placed a new order.

then I was reading one of PaulB's threads, and he was talking about soaking his feet in epsom salts and then pouring it in the tank. I thought he was kidding, but remembered epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. So I did some research and found this great calculator:
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
Mixed some of that up, and put some in the sump too.

My levels recently were:

7/7 7:27 pm
Alk 7.6 dkh
Ca 420 ppm
Mg 1320
Ph 8.42
Temp 79.8

7/9 8:45 pm
Alk 7.3 dkh
Ca 420 ppm
Mg 1320
Ph 8.4
Temp 79.4

Haven't tested tonight, maybe tomorrow. I didn't soak my feet in the epsom salts like Paul, so it probably won't be as beneficial as his dose.

New tech M arrives Saturday, there seems to be a lot of speculation as to whether it has some secret ingredients that also kill bryopsis, so I will lay off the salts for now.

Here are pics of some of my softies I took over the weekend:

This lobo looks a little weird like that on the right sometimes, then it blows itself back up

I got this cynarina a couple of weeks ago, its 3-4 inches across when fully inflated.

I don't know if this really classifies as a rainbow acan, as the top ones are reddish orange, and there are greens and other colors sprouting out the sides, but it's pretty cool.

Paul B

I dump a half a box of Epsom Salts in my reef a few times a year, depending on how my feet feel. :dance:

coralrama

I've got a new starry blenny in QT, and had a serious moment of panic when I came home today!

starry_blenny_in_QT_zps1135756d.jpg

Then I remembered I had unplugged that powerhead in an attempt to feed him. I guess it won't be going back on anytime soon!

Paul B

LOL, I actually know about those fish and that foot bath. I wish I had it. Very cool.

That Starry bleeny reminds me of a girl I used to go out with

Wolffman64

LOL, I actually know about those fish and that foot bath. I wish I had it. Very cool.

That Starry bleeny reminds me of a girl I used to go out with

Same bushy eyebrows and white blobs hanging from the corners of the mouth? Lucky Guy!

coralrama

I installed a chiller the other day:

20140716_231643_zpsv9luj8sq.jpg

I was surprised that walmart had chillers. It even came with mounting hardware. I have really giant windows in this place, which fortunately came with really giant adjustable chiller mounts.

20140716_233238_zpstuoyqqve.jpg

I have it plugged into my apex and programmed to come on when the temp is higher than 78.8, and off when lower than 78.7. Looking in the logs it is coming on for about 30 minutes every 40 minutes or so. I might try to creep the temp down a little lower, but so far it is working really well!

coralrama

I picked up some frags from a local guy after work today, got these zoas:

2014-07-17%2019.47.20_zpsjhw2hsa9.jpg

And here's a shot of my elegance coral, I love this guy

2014-07-17%2019.48.35_zpsihofndnh.jpg

And my bryopsis, which I got for free :-( I think it's started to wilt around the edges a bit, MG is up to 1500 now.
2014-07-17%2019.29.23_zps1c8gc3fd.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Beautiful new additions!!
Your Bryopsis patch looks identical to the one I took out of my tank & sprayed with straight hydrogen peroxide, plucked & scrapped, then sprayed again. Moved it to QT for several days & then back into my DT. It has not re-grown. If that is a rock you can remove for outside the DT manual removal, I would advice doing it.
Just don't pluck it while inside your tank. My Mg is at 1500 also. Are you planning to raise yours higher?

coralrama

I think I'm going to raise it a little more as I'm seeing it shrivel a little, here are some pics. I'll post these on the bryopsis thread too, maybe this is a good sign?

2014-07-17%2021.40.40_zpsi6zdzyk6.jpg

Here's the same sprig against the sand, blurry, but I think you can see what I mean:

2014-07-17%2021.45.47_zpszjwo8sej.jpg

coralrama

I'm seeing more evidence of shriveling, will see what it does in the next few days. I have one large patch and a bunch of small ones. I might be able to get the rock with the large patch out. I'd like to pull the bryopsis now, and scrub or chisel the rock a bit. It's connected to other rocks with acrylic driveway posts though, I forget which ones are glued and which are free.

Pat24601

I love your updated. They are hilarious!

Glad to see your tank looking cool. Hopefully, will get rid if bryopsis.