Water change story thread!

jake9015

Hi guys,
Like most beginners I dread water changes! I hate doing them because usually all that happens is I mess up and need two people. It takes me 4 hours and I get water everywhere, but not today! I got the hang of it and single handedly did a water change in about 10 minutes maybe 15! Feeling
Is great! Anyways I wanted to start this thread so people can tell either funny or bad or good or anything really story about their water changes or single water change! This should be good! :)

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hi guys,
Like most beginners I dread water changes! I hate doing them because usually all that happens is I mess up and need two people. It takes me 4 hours and I get water everywhere, but not today! I got the hang of it and single handedly did a water change in about 10 minutes maybe 15! Feeling
Is great! Anyways I wanted to start this thread so people can tell either funny or bad or good or anything really story about their water changes or single water change! This should be good! :)

Oh ask anyone who knows me. I water my carpet. Almost like I expect it to grow. Newest debacle? I forgot to check the drain valve on my water change 55 gallon jug. Left it open. Long story short we just bought a carpet cleaner.

........milli's hate me.

Built347

Yes siree matt..... i made this totally sweet water change station with automatic mixing and 2.... yes 2 ball valves to be flipped open when water changing..... one that drains water from the system and one the fills the sump from the mixing station..... well i forgot to open the drain.. got distracted by the tv and the water level in the sump shot to the top and the skimmer bucket overflowed dumping POOP! all over the floor... POOP i tell ya! TV in the fish room may not be the best idea...

Luukosian

There's a reason when I remodeled my house I didn't put carpet in the room the tank was going to be in, it's not if a flood is going to happen. It's when.......

That being said you'll get it down to a science sooner or later....

Funlad3

I put a ball valve spigot onto my tanks drain line. It fills a five gallon bucket in twenty seconds. Then it's as simple as dumping in a bucket of water. :)

Brandon78

Mine is just kinda lack of common sense on my part. Let my ro/di run for hours to do a big water change, was busy that day, didn't calculate right and took out more water from the tank than I had mixed to go back in......

Brandon78

Yea I need a new system too. Fiance gets mad when I have the kitchen sink held up with tubes running all over and dragging a bucket back and forth between kitchen and living room

dmatt88

Also anything that helps people with water changes! Tricks or equipment or anything.

Threads reminding u to shut off the rodi. True story. As I responded I thought. Did I shut off the system? Nope. Carpets growing again.

........milli's hate me.

lbiminiblue

Alarms help. Long enough hoses help.

........milli's hate me.
Oh yeah my worst was filling up my 120- for some reason i left the overflow pipe hanging outside the refugium and i started the pump up. i got water ALL over the inside of the stand- it took me a few seconds to realize what that splashing sound was....

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
there are only two kinds of reefers, those that have wet themselves and those about to, great thread idea I can only add the electrical element like reaching into the new mix tub and getting shocked, unplugging the heater and reaching into the tub to check, nope it was the pump and its still live!

kain101

i like to consider myself a water change expert. I usually don't spill a drop...

I recently got a canister filter and during my first filter pad change got at least 3 gallons on the wood floors :smack:

i neglected to remember that the Fluval is gravity fed. I figured all i had to do was unplug the power cord... I go to open the filter and water starts spraying everywhere, so i am now trying to catch a bucket and i pull the send line out the tank...but water is still spraying (the other line started to siphon), so i pull the return line out and it finally stops. I dry up as much as I can around the tank it took 4 towels, I never got under the tank hopefully that part air dried well

knapp870

Well, I have flooded my kitchen making ro/di several times. One time I literally left the water running over night...that is 8 hours of overflowing water. Needless to say I spent half a day with a carpet cleaner sucking up water. Since then I set up a water station in the laundry room with an auto shut off valve and float in a Brute trash can. This is one of the best investments I ever made! Always fresh ro/di whenever I need it and no longer a risk of overflow!! Also I use an old pump to pump old water out and new water into the aquarium.

sikpupy

Oh ask anyone who knows me. I water my carpet. Almost like I expect it to grow. Newest debacle? I forgot to check the drain valve on my water change 55 gallon jug. Left it open. Long story short we just bought a carpet cleaner.

........milli's hate me.

I was gonna say..... I usually end up "finally" looking at the floor during my siphon hose cleaning and finding I have spilled about a gallon or so of water on the carpet. Luckily I was smart(?) and stuck a tarp under the padding. That helps a little I belive.

dmatt88

Man. N I thought I was the only one. Awww man is my rodi still running?

........milli's hate me.