Wrangy's 50 Gallon ZEOvit Rebirth

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
So I'm deciding to give the good old 3 day lights out method a go to see if this helps a little with some bastard algae that has returned though not from stock I put back in the tank. I managed to get more strands of caulerpa nummularia AGAIN lol did a good old clean and nuke with boiling RO today with my water change and lights out are beginning tomorrow morning. I'm going to watching this closely to see what happens and what the outcome is, I'll perfom another water change after the lights come back on and we'll see what happens from then on in!

Wish me luck haha

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Also the three day blackout has had a pretty big success :) Most of the algae has died right back! Now tomorrow during my water change I'm going to kill the last bits off with some more boiling RO then keep an eye on things for a while and if need be do it again next week to make sure everything has died back to a completely controllable level :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
As you could imagine after killing so much algae off, I've had a bit of an increase in my phos levels as they have released a bit. So big clean today, kill the last little bit off, vacuum all the detritus up and give a good old clean all around. Going to dose a zeozym a little stronger and skim a tiny bit wetter to get it down quicker before it can be utilised by the algae again, I also need to get some more biomate to help out as I'm out :) Hopefully this works to really help my battle lol but if not I will probably do another couple of days of lights out next week after water change again.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well did a good ol' water change today and decided to grab some pics too :)

One of my fav's, getting some juicy colour going!

This thing has the craziest polyps and green to it!

This one still has quite some way to go but it's getting there :)

Still holding some good colours but should get better when things get stable! I do love a bit of Robusta :)

And a general water change FTS

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You ever get that cal reactor up and running?
Not yet, bringing my parameters back in check with 3-part then I'll get the monster up and running :) I've had some personal and family health issues over the last 3 months so the tank was getting a little neglected (no dosing and water changes only) which is less than what I usually do but the last couple of weeks have been spent getting everything ship shape again and everything is starting to look good because of it :) So another week or two and parameters will be back in line then the reactor will be fired up! :D

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Oh aannnddd I'm finally upgrading the lights in two weeks :bounce::woohoo:

I was originally intending on getting a Nano Box Reef T5/LED hybrid but a second-hand unit came up for sale a couple of days ago and it's the exact thing I've always wanted to try over my little sps reef and the scary part is there's no LED's ;)
I'm going to be blasting the tank with 350w of MH and T5 power :sunshine: I'm getting a 2ft Cebu Sun hybrid unit with a 250w MH and 4x 24w T5's! I'm going to be ordering a new electronic ballast for the unit as well because I want to place one of those glorious Radium bulbs in there that some folk talk about :ofr: haha I'll be running things a little bluer as I will start out with purely actinic T5's and adjust from there but I'm am a little excited to finally be giving the lights I've always wanted to try a go! Going to be some exciting times ahead!!

anarchy

Awesome wish I could get that light. Only problem is I want a huge reflector for my halide not these tiny one that they put on most hybrids. Like mine are 15x15. So I'd like a 24x24 unit. 2 t5 halide with moonlights on each side and then 2 more t5 boom done I'll buy it over and over