Wrangy's 50 Gallon ZEOvit Rebirth

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Awesome wish I could get that light. Only problem is I want a huge reflector for my halide not these tiny one that they put on most hybrids. Like mine are 15x15. So I'd like a 24x24 unit. 2 t5 halide with moonlights on each side and then 2 more t5 boom done I'll buy it over and over
It looks like a solid unit, given it's a hybrid there's always going to be a little compromise somewhere along the line but I think all around they've made a pretty decent unit and it should do swimmingly for my tank needs :) Definitely excited for it!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well the last couple of months have been a good time for getting corals that I've been waiting a long time for! Rainbow zoa's finally, a new white with blue tip piece of a. echinata that I lost during the restart, some nice deep water species (mostly a. granulosa and a a. loripes) and also finally after a long time a piece of sunset montipora :D now all I need to completely make me content is some really nice smooth skin acro's! No body wants to share them though :(
The colour on the sunset monti has come a long way from brown in a couple of weeks

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I got bored this morning and the blues were looking good so this is what a bit of boredom has lead to lol
A few of my colourful zoa's, still digging the white/very light violet zoa's they're just so different!

Some lovely looking red hornet look-a-likes:

These are underrated, was going to sell them but they got better so now I'm keeping them haha

It's finally starting to grow, the frags I got from a friend are going killer now that parameters are nearly back in line. The monti cap is growing bananas too (not pictured)! Colour is slowly coming back after the nutrient spike due to killing the algae too!

Still one of my favourite inhabitants!

And a much better pic of the goldrush using a tripod :D

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm telling ya Wrangy, we could slip this stuff right through customs :fingerscrossed:

Really like the Paly/zoa do floppies ya got growing there
I'm sure we could, a few heat packs and the right cover story and we're golden! :outtahere:

haha what gave it away :rolleyes:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
So as I mentioned earlier I have a few big changes coming to my system which is going to completely revamp it into an sps growing machine :cool:

Numero Uno:
The first and possibly biggest change I'm making is lighting! After two years of happily and to some extent successfully running LED's, I had the option to upgrade to some with a little more oomph... 350w of extra oomph!! This is coming in the form of a brand new (secondhand lol) metal halide and t5 hybrid unit! Going old school. 250w of MH power with 4x 24w t5's just to help out :D
The first step for that is to upgrade the ballast to an electric ballast so I can get one of those glorious 20k Radium bulbs running! The t5's will most likely be purely actinic/blue spectrum bulbs too. This is a huge step for me and one I've wanted to make since starting the hobby and now I have the chance so I'm a little excited! I'm getting a 2ft Cebu Sun unit :)

Numero Dos:
The next big change that's coming is a brand new venturi based skimmer, once again I'm going real old school for this one and ordering a Lifereef Skimmer as the design hasn't changed in 30 years or something! I've heard really good things about it so I'm keen to give it a go. No whizz bang gadgets or bells and whistles with this one just pure old school venturi skimmer power with plenty of contact time!
(due to the size and shape of the skimmer a new sump is in the works too lol the cade sump I have is shit! Haha)

Numero Tres:
The last thing on my list of changes is some newer and strong powerheads! I love my rw4's but they're both at max and I don't feel I'm getting enough so I'm going a little bigger and back to Tunze powerheads :) going to give two 6040's (the newest side mounted models) a go as they look awesome and I think they'll be what I'm looking for! I though about vortech but screw the noise and the price haha

And finally now that my parameters are finally settled and in the right place again the CaRX will FINALLY be coming online :D it's going to be a busy month for me but I'm looking forward to a bit of a revamp! Get some killer colour and growth going!

anarchy

I have 2 RW4s at 100% on my 30! May try the rw8s my 93 has the 8 and 15 and well you seen the wave. Is the halide a double end or single?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have 2 RW4s at 100% on my 30! May try the rw8s my 93 has the 8 and 15 and well you seen the wave. Is the halide a double end or single?
Yeah I've got mine cranked up too, just not quite enough for me so I'm going to give the trusty Tunze a go again with the newies and hopefully I see some better flow from that :)
Single end mogul fitting :)

anarchy

Yeah I've got mine cranked up too, just not quite enough for me so I'm going to give the trusty Tunze a go again with the newies and hopefully I see some better flow from that :)
Single end mogul fitting :)
Yeah I figured since you're wanting to run radiums just had to make sure. I've heard great things about the radiums, but also heard from some radiums guys that they switched to the 14k phoenix bulbs. I tried xm 20000k bulbs and I lost 100 par compared to my 8-10 month old phoenix bulb

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yeah I figured since you're wanting to run radiums just had to make sure. I've heard great things about the radiums, but also heard from some radiums guys that they switched to the 14k phoenix bulbs. I tried xm 20000k bulbs and I lost 100 par compared to my 8-10 month old phoenix bulb
Thanks :) I did a bit of research to make sure as well haha I need to upgrade the ballast to the electric version though before it's Radium compatible.
Given I'll be running 4 24w tubes as well, par should be sweet till I need more haha I though about the 6500k Iwasaki bulb as well but given I prefer a bluer look I'm going to give the Radium a smashing first then decide after a couple of months. Once I make the changes things will stay like it for at least 4 months before I make any assessments on what I like :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well I've been in the lovely sunny and warm Bendigo for the last 10 days meaning that the tank hasn't had a water change in two weeks and zeo dosing has only been done once a day by those still at home lol I wasn't sure what to expect when I got home but I'm happy to report good news all around With the exception of losing my true blue hornets

Today was a good maintenance day though, stones have been changed (a week and a half late), big water change and clean was done today, stuck some more acro's down (overflowed the skimmer during the process :banghead), did some water testing and general once over and tidy :)
Happy to report the parameters are looking pretty good!
Alk is spot on: 7.7dKH
Ca is low: 330ppm (dose adjusted)
Mg is waayy low, it emptied while I was gone: 1000ppm
Phos has really surprised me it was 0.17ppm two weeks ago and it was 0.063ppm when I tested before water change today and no algae has regrown so zeo must have done a good job of taking care of that while I was away

Who wants to read though... pics!!:rofl

I think we'll run with ZOA's first!
My rasta's are going pretty well I'd say

I finally moved all these off the sandbed after the pics lol

Growing well:

Bit of an everything top down lol

Then next will be some hawkfish lovin'
The biggun

The littun

hello good lookin'

Now before I get booted from the SPS Keepers club the part you've all been waiting for lol
Acro city!

My two favourite pieces in the tank are what was a browned out acro I was made to buy, that has come a long way:

And my sunset/goldrush monti

Who could leave out a nice FTS

newo11

There is nothing better for an SPS dominant tank than MH/T-5 combo, as it is guaranteed to grow some beautiful corals! Just hold onto your wallet with those electric bills, although it should be too bad on a 2 foot unit! I'm excited to see what comes of this. (I would also have been excited to see you with one of those sweet Nano Box LED/T-5 hybrids!!!)

Sorry Dom - for some reason my computer didn't show the last couple of posts. I thought the one on the lights was the latest. Didn't mean to screw up your thread!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
There is nothing better for an SPS dominant tank than MH/T-5 combo, as it is guaranteed to grow some beautiful corals! Just hold onto your wallet with those electric bills, although it should be too bad on a 2 foot unit! I'm excited to see what comes of this. (I would also have been excited to see you with one of those sweet Nano Box LED/T-5 hybrids!!!)

Sorry Dom - for some reason my computer didn't show the last couple of posts. I thought the one on the lights was the latest. Didn't mean to screw up your thread!
Hopefully the power won't be horrendous given it's a smaller unit. I'm looking forward to finally giving MH a go though, it's something I've wanted to do for a long time! And if it doesn't work out I'll be getting a nano box hybrid anyway haha

Haha you hardly screwed the thread up :p

ya mean that's all you got to show me :rolleyes:
Geez, tough crowd!