Would you rather pay $20 for a frag or $100 for a colony?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I'm very curious about this for myself. I sell frags of course but I'm wondering if I should stock more colonies. Here's an example, would you prefer to pay $60, $80, $100 or more for a whole colony or would you rather pay $15 or $20 for a frag of the same colony?

Here are some colonies I have in growout (for size reference the red chalice that the shrimp is on is about 3" in diameter and the red acan is about 4"X5"), but would you prefer to buy just a frag or would you rather shell out the wad and buy the whole colony at once?

jbjdj1.JPG

BLADEYAMAHA

I'd rather have colonies but cannot always afford this route but is better for me. I'm happy with frags too, though. I get to watch them grow.:D

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It depends on the coral. If I know I can have success with the coral and I have a nice spot for the colony, I'd buy the colony. If I'm not sure how the specific type of coral does in my tank, a frag would be my choice.

Roots

My personal preference is either frags or small colonies because of allowing you to afford more biodiversity on a budget plus you get to watch them grow into large colonies. It's extremely satisfying to see a frag showing signs of good health and new growth. :smoking:

P.S. The Monti Cap frag I got for free with my order has grown around 1/4" since I got it recently! In this pic you can clearly see the ring of new growth all the way around the frag.
roots-albums-55-gal-reef-w-20-gal-sump-refugium-picture23699-purple-monti-cap-myreeftoyours.jpg

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
P.S. The Monti Cap frag I got for free with my order has grown around 1/4" since I got it recently! In this pic you can clearly see the ring of new growth all the way around the frag.
roots-albums-55-gal-reef-w-20-gal-sump-refugium-picture23699-purple-monti-cap-myreeftoyours.jpg

Your cap is looking awesome, and yes it grows quick. My colony is roughly 12"X6"X6" and it grows amazingly fast. I'm always snapping pieces off of it because it will start shading other coral.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I would buy colonies of some corals and frags of others. Have you thought of doing what your doing now, post a colony and if it doesn't sell within 2 weeks frag it up

Tru2nr

I would prefer colonies but find frags are the better route as i cannot always afford colonies...you could post a colony with a reserve for frags...get enough reserves and you chop up the colony...

...60% of the time it works every time

soco

I like frags, its fun to watch them grow.
Colonies are nice but like others said if having them shipped colonies are a big risk.

If I can find a colony local (or if i lived near you jj) I would love to go that route, but where i live..... in the middle of nowhere. Frags are definitely the better shipping choice.

N83259

I'll buy both forms. With my primary vendor, the price per polyp or overall volume is always better with a colony.

catran

Ah, looks like both! I'm sure it depends on how much you can afford and what level of experience or just what your DT would need.
I want frags for diversity and colony's for instant gratification!
When I get my zoas out of the 65, I want only nems and colonies in there, but I still want frags to grow out in my other tanks!

I love reefers...

dmatt88

Ah, looks like both! I'm sure it depends on how much you can afford and what level of experience or just what your DT would need.
I want frags for diversity and colony's for instant gratification!
When I get my zoas out of the 65, I want only nems and colonies in there, but I still want frags to grow out in my other tanks!

I love reefers...

Hey cat. Good to see ya around. How's the issues?

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

Funlad3

Frags and mini colonies for me. As soon as it's too large to see the growth, a lot of the fun vanishes. But why would someone buy a colony of a fast growing coral, like a monti cap? In a year, it's going to be huge anyways. :D

fishguy4

i like colonies better than frags but i cant always make that work considering im 13 the money doesnt flow easy from mowin lawns lol

catran

Hey cat. Good to see ya around. How's the issues?

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

Ah, doing a major clean in the 65 tonight. Hope to fix some issues. Right now I'm at Worth Fest. Good thing I don't drink, or nothing would get done!

Btw, I learned a while back that Jose was a back stabbing snake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie McDaries

JJ,I didn't see the third option where we buy a $100 colony for a $10 frag price LOL

I'm a frag guy myself,too many things can happen in shipping (some of you know this oh too well with FedUp) if a coral is gonna die in shipping,I'd rather the whole colony not.....

if a frag survives,it will some day be a large colony,and I hope like heck that I have more time than money :D