Would you rather pay $20 for a frag or $100 for a colony?

Haaileybop

I prefer to buy colonies, but as a relatively new reefer I don't want to spend $100+ on a colony that may not agree with my newbie husbandry skills. So I have stuck to frags for the most part.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Thank you for all your input! Sounds like the majority of you prefer frags. So it looks like I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing now: offer up some colonies but keep the majority in frags. Thanks again and keep on reefing!

lbiminiblue

I'm very curious about this for myself. I sell frags of course but I'm wondering if I should stock more colonies. Here's an example, would you prefer to pay $60, $80, $100 or more for a whole colony or would you rather pay $15 or $20 for a frag of the same colony?

Here are some colonies I have in growout (for size reference the red chalice that the shrimp is on is about 3" in diameter and the red acan is about 4"X5"), but would you prefer to buy just a frag or would you rather shell out the wad and buy the whole colony at once?

jbjdj1.JPG
JJ I see you've got a coral banded shrimp, do u have fish in that tank too? I have one now and want to make a decision before he goes into the tank...

Willie McDaries

Thank you for all your input! Sounds like the majority of you prefer frags. So it looks like I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing now: offer up some colonies but keep the majority in frags. Thanks again and keep on reefing!

I like the idea of offering whole colonies first,frag it if it don't sell soon...just keep doing what you do JJ,you rock dude :D

lbiminiblue

I've got a pair of clownfish and a tiger goby in that tank and they all get along just fine.

Alright. Sorry to change the topic but he doesn't "trim" your corals? I've heard a few stories about them clipping torch tentacles. Would he be a problem for a jaw fish?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Because of the Relatively isolated area i live in(small town, No LFS=closest is 90m away, and generally poor selection of corals to choose from near by, im forced to order online. with overnight shipping costing what it does, i usually have to save where i can. Its just not worth it to me to buy a couple small frags for 30 bucks, and turn around and pay 35 for shipping. So on this subject, i'd have to vote for COLONY. If i want a coral, i want nice BIG pieces. There is only one other Reef-a-holic in my corner of the world, and he's a bit gunshy about fragging his big pieces, even to trade. So i'd pay more for a bigger colony than i would for small frags that will take a while to grow. My 92 corner tank is nearly done cycling, and with a 250 watt MH and 100+ Lbs of live rock, i've got plenty of room/light for whatever i want to get. My budget is SHOT atm with the purchase of LR and a new skimmer(old one croaked). I might be interested in some in spring. I wont ship corals in winter, ive not been happy with what happens when i try.

Blue Space

good question JJ! the colonies def make your tank look awesome but i like to witness a small frag explode with growth, multiplying and seeing exactly where it likes to be located in the tank. Just learning about it first-hand. Plus some of the prices on large colonies can blow your shorts off faster than a tai dinner on all-you-can-eat night. $100 ain't bad though.

Tru2nr

Well watch out for this weekend then, I'm thinking of having a 1c Labor Day sale. That's right, 1c frags.

IM WATCHING! i heard 12 frags for $0.10 with free shipping!

...Food, beer, salt needed can only afford two...i'll buy food next week i'm a reefaholic

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I'm gonna keep this close to the vest until this weekend in regards to the boards, but I am posting some details on my Facebook page if you happen to be a friend on there. Yes we will be doing something CRAZY honoring Labor Day.

soco

That is awesome! I was planning on making an order today. Im glad i checked the forum first hahaha i will be waiting until tomorrow now.