what fish for a 5 gal?

DewDropPony

I'd like just one fish for my 5 gallon. It would need to be reef safe, relatively hardy, and not pick on inverts. Any ideas?

DewDropPony

Oh, by the way. I won't be getting this fish for at least another month, if not longer. The tank isn't ready yet.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ok, I got it...pick a really nice goby/pistol shrimp combo like, a cool, different type of watchman, and a nice red pistol shrimp. Seen a red one this weekend while diving...they keep a neat commensal relationship...

kyrie_eleison

Don't put him down for trying :) Where there's a will there's a way! I would say a clown goby as well!

Well then...good luck. I have a 5 gallon nano-reef. All I keep in it is live rock, 2 inches thick sand, a few cocoworms, some hawaiian feather dusters, couple of hermit crabs, a few mushrooms and even some small zoos under a 50/50-20 Watts of PC lighting and a generic filter.

IMO, that small of a tank really isn't that interesting;

Triggerjay

I vote for a naso tang... JUST KIDDING! My vote is a watchman goby... I have a diamond, and he is a blast to watch... A yellow, or a diamond...

Jason

leebca

Well then...good luck. I have a 5 gallon nano-reef. All I keep in it is live rock, 2 inches thick sand, a few cocoworms, some hawaiian feather dusters, couple of hermit crabs, a few mushrooms and even some small zoos under a 50/50-20 Watts of PC lighting and a generic filter.

I think you deserve a lot of credit and respect for the decision to not put fish into this 'space.' :wave:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well then...good luck.....

IMO, that small of a tank really isn't that interesting;

Easy there. Let's not cast any negative light on someone else's adventures. If you don't like your 5 gallon that's fine but one person's treasure is another person's trash. We're here to help and foster a positive reef experience and if that's a 5 gallon at least DewDropPony is researching and attempting to do it right.

I love the idea of a "Neon Goby". They are small and are just cool to look at. In face, I think I'm gonna order a pair for my 10g tank at home.

Granted that's a very small volume of water to work with but we've proven time and again if it's done slowly and with great dedication it can be done successfully. Good luck and keep up the research.

Allen

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Neon goby, small clown goby, yashi goby... or an invert tank with coolio sexy shrimp :) You could put some soft corals with color in there too... some blue/red shrooms, zoas, etc. It could look very nice. Just be sure to keep up with the evaporation at least once or twice a day!

kyrie_eleison

I think you deserve a lot of credit and respect for the decision to not put fish into this 'space.' :wave:

leeb,

I really should start taking that thing down; the only reason I have it is because my wife likes it. The whole 5 gallon nano thing was just an idea I had a long time ago; I'm over it now. Besides, that thing took me more than a month to cycle...to this day, I still have not figured out why it took so long.

jg2269jg

how about a gyometric pygmy hawk, very small great colors and i have seen them in a lfs's 5 gallon nano tank it was actually pretty cool looking

kyrie_eleison

I have 2 percs and a yellow watchman goby in my 5 gallon "saltwater" nano, and they are very happy.

The yellow watchman maybe alright for that small of a tank but adding 2 true percs really is excessive. If you have any rockwork and sand then you have even less than 5 gallons in that tank. Man, I have to hand it to you; that's a lot of work.