what fish for a 5 gal?

Well they are only in there as they are coming out of hypo and were beating up on my darwins in the 20g hospital tank, so I moved them there for now. But when I did they were so much happier, they totally changed personality. I had not planned on leaving them in there long term though. There is rockwork, sand and xenia in that tank as well.

leebca

I don't want to appear rude, but I can't help but input here.

A 'happy fish?' "Happy" is a primate and mammal trait, not found so far in the fish world.

If the fish are "happy" in less than a cubic foot of water, then just think how much more happy they would be in the ocean?

Two Anemonefish (pair) stake out an area in the ocean of about 8-9 cubic feet. As an individual they need no less than 5 cubic feet or about a 29g or larger tank.

I'm glad the plan is to move them to a larger tank, but in a 5 gallon nano they are space stressed and will die a much shortened life. Since 'happy' is a human trait and living a long life is a positive in human terms, then just think how much 'happier' the fish will be to live a longer life.

KMP

when will we ever get over the "small tanks are destined for disaster" mindset. amazing.

leebca

If you're referring to my post Kenny then I think you haven't read my point correctly. I did not imply any disaster. I only said that a life shortened is not responsible husbandry for our marine fishes. I don't plan to ever get over this responsibility.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Well they are only in there as they are coming out of hypo and were beating up on my darwins in the 20g hospital tank, so I moved them there for now. But when I did they were so much happier, they totally changed personality. I had not planned on leaving them in there long term though. There is rockwork, sand and xenia in that tank as well.

Kudos to you for separating them. Relieving the aggression was a good move :thumbup:
Keep a close eye on the water parameters and they'll be fine.

FYI.. I use lots of 'primal adjectives' to describe what I feel my animals are going through. "Happy" is just one of the many I like to use.

kyrie_eleison

Has been struck by the ban stick
speaking of happiness; imagine yourself in an 8'x8' for 8 hours of the day. Yup; I'm stuck in a cube too.

separating them was the best thing I could do, I had the 5 gallon running as I use it for QT. I will more than likely be putting the goby as well as the clowns back in my maintank where they all came from in the first place, if not, I will be giving them to someone with a larger tank. I have no intentions on keeping them in that 5, I just said, they are doing well in there, eating, swimming around, and active, which is alot more than I can say for them when they were in the 20g hospital tank beating up on my black babies.

DrHank

I don't know but I think a 5 gallon tank might make an interesting home for a peacock mantis shrimp. It would also be a very different system than most of us are used to. I don't think that I would personally keep a fish in it but I think if it were auqascaped nicely and had some nice shrooms, zoas, maybe some xenia, and a yellow leather or other softie, it might really look nice. That way it probably wouldn't require a lot of maintenance and the shrimp would certainly be more tollerant of fluctuations in tank conditions than a fish would.
JMO.

lcstorc

How bout some sexy shrimp. They are the cutest little things and do better in a small tank from what I have heard.

caitrina

We sure do like those "sexy shrimp" don't we Lynn? lol We can't have them so we want everyone else to have them who can.:whstlr:

lcstorc

BlueSpotJawfish got some for her reef. I am waiting to see if they turn into dinner or cool reef inhabitants. I may get a couple for the pony tank since small as they are they are a bit big for a seahorse to snack on. I think I will have to move my cleaner shrimp if I make the move but that is easy. He jumps on my hand when I put it in the tank so I could grab him at any time. Right now he is there since he is an excellent disposal for uneaten food in the tank. Hmm maybe this weekend.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Sexy shrimp is a great idea. Decorate it with colorful corals and it would look lovely!

I've wanted sexy shrimp for a long time too! I'll stay tuned to Lorraine's experience.

I don't know but I think a 5 gallon tank might make an interesting home for a peacock mantis shrimp. It would also be a very different system than most of us are used to. I don't think that I would personally keep a fish in it but I think if it were auqascaped nicely and had some nice shrooms, zoas, maybe some xenia, and a yellow leather or other softie, it might really look nice. That way it probably wouldn't require a lot of maintenance and the shrimp would certainly be more tollerant of fluctuations in tank conditions than a fish would.
JMO.

Well here is a pic of my 5g, its just a QT tank, but its awsome none the less.... and actually the guy I get my stuff from is getting some peacock mantis, I just might get one.

IMG_0486.JPG

Cassette87

Nice setup Seasalt Dreams!
Lets not keep arguing over whether or not to do a nano huh? the thread kinda lost track big time.

I think an all coral nano would be pretty nifty, if you picked out the right ones and had nice rock work. Imagine a nano with every imaginable zoa morph? That'd be amazing!

DewDropPony

Well then...good luck. I have a 5 gallon nano-reef. All I keep in it is live rock, 2 inches thick sand, a few cocoworms, some hawaiian feather dusters, couple of hermit crabs, a few mushrooms and even some small zoos under a 50/50-20 Watts of PC lighting and a generic filter.

IMO, that small of a tank really isn't that interesting;

kyrie_eleison, I have a 5 gallon because its for a norm and there's a space limit.