Upgrade??

Which one should I get???

• 120 gal - 48x24x24

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • 180 gal - 72x24x24

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • 210 gal - 72x24x29

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • NONE of the above... keep what you have!

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Cougra

That depends on if you are tall or not. I personally wouldn't like the 29" deep tank as it would extremely difficult for me to reach down to the bottom should something fall without getting my mask and snorkle out. It would also require a step ladder for me to do any sort of maintenance in it should it be on a standard height stand.
Although this doesn't seem like a big deal, I think it would become a big hassle should you need to do it anytime you want to do any sort of cleaning or rearranging in the tank.

Also with the slightly shallower tank, you could use the lighting you currently have and just add one more bulb instead of having to get three 400W fixtures.

I know the 210Gal sounds better because it's bigger, I think it's possible to get too big when it comes to everyday maintenance (not talking water quality). You could always use the 90 Gal tank you currently have as a sump to bump up your water volume if that's a big concern (but don't think it would be in a tank that size!)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have the same concerns regarding the 210 gal. I do not think the extra 30 gal is worth adding another 5" to the height of the tank, nor the increased lighting that would be required....

My very favorite is the 120... but my tangs would be extra happy in the 180....

Joe69

I say 180, I wish I would have went with a 180 instead of a 125 for the extra width for aquascaping. The 180 will be less expensive to run due to lights, salt, ro/di, and LR as compared to the 210 and easier to work with as well. Just my opinion, if you don't mind the 18" width, go with a 125.

cioutlaw

if i had the room i would have went 180...but I settled for the 120. the 24" is plenty tall (i can reach the bottom although i am 6'-2") & the 24"x48 floor is great for landscaping...180 would be even better especially because I have twin overflows on the end & could use the length...in reality my tank is 42x24x24

KimPossible

I vote 180, if you have the room. I just bought a 115, the footprint fit nicely in my sitting room. Being able to reach the bottom of the tank was very important to me.

Cougra

Woodstock said:
My very favorite is the 120... but my tangs would be extra happy in the 180....

I guess I should have asked this before...why do you want to upgrade the tank? What DON'T you like about the tank you currently have?

I know that I recommended the 180 because it's fun to dream about a huge tank like that but...I'm not sure I'll ever go much bigger then the 48"x18"x21" tank I have (freshwater, can't afford to have it salt.) Although I would like to have more front to back room, I would not want to go any taller. (I'm was very happy when I made it over the 5' mark. :p)

I have to admit that I have a friend who has a 48"x24"x24" set up for freshwater and he doesn't like it because it's too big to work with and too heavy for his house (in 2 years the tank has sagged 1/4" more on one side.) His biggest complaint is that he can't find any good tools for working in a deeper tank and because the glass is thicker then in his 48"x18"x18" tank he can't find a good magnet to help keep the glass clean. He said even the most powerful magfloat wasn't able to do a very good job on the thicker glass. (Don't think he tried some of those ultra powerful magnets that cost hundreds of dollars as the cost is just too much.)

Dragon Wrasse

If you have the room the 180 would be cool.....it will give you some room to grow. I would like to move into a 150 from my 75.....aaaah, to sit and dream.

BoomerD

Tough choice Woody. I've always thought that the 120 was about the perfect size for a reef. not too big, not too small, easily lit with 2X250 metal halides, great skimmer choices without breaking the bank, etc., BUT, yes, your tangs will definitely like the 180 better, and really, another 250 MH isn't THAT much more in cost, nor in electrical consumption...An ASM G-4 skimmer can be had for a reasonable price too. Probably my choice in skimmers if I were setting up a 180, (which I was 2 yrs ago, if you remember)...

mkpaulson

I would also suggest going with the 180, if you went with the 120 you'll just be upgrading to the 180 later so go was a 180 and get it over with.

there's nothing like a six-foot tank!

Gina

RS STAFF
I voted for the 180. There's alot of room for some great aquascaping!
I'm excited for you Doni! I almost feel like it's me getting a new tank!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Tough one Doni, i also say the 180 would suit me even though i love the 120 i just built. I would keep in mind that with the 180 you need to buy more then just a tank and stand. with the 120 your set.
I'm very happy with the 120 size even if i am always thinking bigger. I started with a 90 like you and was never happy. Now im content until I build a 500 :D
And thats the size I'll go after the 120.

cioutlaw

Like frankie said that is something I considered when going to a 120 from my 55...lights & stuff moved right over...then i bought new lights:smack:

Witfull

even if you go with the 180, you can be in the Monster reef club~

even for me at 6-3 reaching into my 210 is a stretch and need a stepstool to play in it.

my vote 180~

ScottT1980

Ditto what Dave says, I like the 180 dimensions much better. Exciting news, there has been enough people tearing down tanks in the area that you could probably find plenty of frags to stock the tank.

Are you thinking SPS only? mixed? getting a reactor?

This should be a lot of fun!

Take er easy
Scott T.

Annie742

Well I really can't say what to get. I have my 75 which I really like ( I can reach the bottom).
Then I got the 90 which is a bit taller as you know. I can't reach the bottom without standing on a chair, and then it's still kinda rough. Don't know how tall you are but I would stick with the 90 :)
I love the look of your tank now. I think I vote keep the one you have!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks everyone for your input... it helps a lot! :thumbup:

Cougra... I just want a wider & possibly longer tank.

Scott... LPS & softies :) I would love to have a ca reactor!!

Annie... Did my husband put you up to that response??? :p

Okay... so the 210 is out. I am only 5'8" so reaching the bottom would be difficult... I do not need another deterent to performing maintenance. :rolleyes:

If I got the 120, it would stay in the same corner my 90 is now. I would gain 30 gallons of water and 6" of width which would allow for better aquascaping. I could keep my current 4' Hamilton canopy but I would still need a new stand...

If I got the 180, it would be used as a room divider and would be veiwable on 3 sides which would be very nice! I would gain 100% more water and a LOT more room to aquascape; my tangs would be very happy :); However, I would need a new stand, lights, sump, return pumps....

If I kept my 90, I would make my husband and Annie happy :D