Upgrade??

Which one should I get???

• 120 gal - 48x24x24

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • 180 gal - 72x24x24

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • 210 gal - 72x24x29

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • NONE of the above... keep what you have!

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Cougra

Woodstock said:
Cougra... I just want a wider & possibly longer tank.
Cool, I understand that desire!
Woodstock said:
If I got the 120, it would stay in the same corner my 90 is now. I would gain 30 gallons of water and 6" of width which would allow for better aquascaping. I could keep my current 4' Hamilton canopy but I would still need a new stand...
After hearing your plans for the two tanks that you narrowed it down to, I would change my vote from the 180 to the 120, just to give you the front to back room for better aquascaping.

Woodstock said:
If I got the 180, it would be used as a room divider and would be veiwable on 3 sides which would be very nice! I would gain 100% more water and a LOT more room to aquascape; my tangs would be very happy :); However, I would need a new stand, lights, sump, return pumps...

If you plan on seeing this tank from three sides, I'm not sure you would actually have more room to aquascape as you would need clearance between rock and glass on three sides so you would be stuck keeping all the rock in the middle of the tank. I honestly think you would loose aquascaping space and it would be much harder to get something pleasing as you would need to make it so it looks good on either side of the pile. If I was to do a tank as a room divider I would defiantely want something wider still.
I know your tangs would rather the longer tank with free swimming room on both sides of the rock, but I don't know that you will enjoy working with the limitations that this set up will present.

...but then again you would still be able to keep the 90Gal tank running as well since the new tank is going in a different spot.

Woodstock said:
If I kept my 90, I would make my husband and Annie happy :D
Ah, but would YOU be happy?

Witfull

speaking as the man of the house, i can truly say this,,,,a man is only as happy as his spouse,,,if shes not happy,,,,damn sure she will make it so you are NOT!

Jiddy

I dont like my 30" but i like the extra volume, so if i had to choose i would get it if i couldnt get the 30"W, where do you plan on buying your tank Doni?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Cougra... Honestly, I would be happy keeping my current set up but anything larger would thrill me :) Good points about the aquascaping~

Ken... That is a nice size for sure but unfortunately it would not fit.

Jiddy... Depends on the size I choose, but probably a used one in the area...

mps9506

Woody, one thing to keep in mind is how coooool a tall tank like a 210 looks.
It is a pain to reach the bottom. I know, I have 30" deep tank at the store, and it is 30" front to back as well, so for a shorty like me it is a pain. But, the from a display percpective it is great. But if you really think it will deter you from maintence then I understand :)
therefore I say 180... :)

cracker

The 180 would offer so much potential! Also you have the knowledge to overcome the extra work involved.:thumbup:

Scooterman

Woodstock said:
I have the same concerns regarding the 210 gal. I do not think the extra 30 gal is worth adding another 5" to the height of the tank, nor the increased lighting that would be required....

I like tanks like, 48", 72 etc because in two foot increments you can count on one MH set-up. I looked at a ton of tanks in the past I really like deep tanks, I wouldn't care to go over 24" in height but depth 32 to to 34 deep or deeper is very nice if you have the room. I don't know if this is true everywhere but my LFS offered lots of tanks but they all had lots of stuff I didn't want so until I explained to him I didn't need glass tops, the cheaply light kits & loads of useless stuff I didn't want & just got prices on glass the price dropped over half. Then I asked for custom dimensions & holes in certain places, which still was greatly reduced in price leaving only me to make the overflows myself but you can get them, I came up with something slightly less than 300 gallons with holes from Oceanic, only you don't get the warranty so be sure that is what you want. Just something to think about when getting a tank.

mattie

RS Sponsor
just so you are limiting your upgrade expense i would say to do the 120 it makes a huge difference to have 2ft by 4 ft base for so many things like the sump and the best part is you don't need to but new lights and so on. Mainly you would have to focus on the stand and the glass

boozeman

never thought about being able to reach the bottom...I'm such a guppie
guess 180 would be the best choice

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I vote for a 225 :D 72x30x24 That way for your room divider you have enough space to scape it with rocks away from the glass on both sides.

I have always wanted a 240 96x24x24. I just really like the 24wx24h. I agree with what was said for the 180 being too narrow for aquascaping as a room divider.

Kacy McCure

Go with the 180. currently i have a desjardin, yellow, achillies, naso, and a hippo tang that do just fine. the achillies is a new addidtion and he is awsome, everyone like him. He was also a steal as the fish store did not have the tank size for him. BUT im worried as they are a bit more tender than the other tangs i have. Oh my tank is 180 and i wish it was bigger though, And ive always like the look of a deep tank and i think i would deal with the hassle, ya gotta pay to play. Oh and i would like more room as the 100 lbs of rock i have brewin will pack on some space reduction, currently 100 lbs in tank now.

Kacy McCure

Go big or GO home. Ive changed my mind. I have a 180 and here is the thing. I wish i had more room, LOVE the look of a tall tank, same surface area on The tank but i know u will give it the flow it needs Woody, I would personally deal with the height as the look is $, 400 watt metal halide retro kits are cheap if ya surf( with GOOD ballast ) More viewable area, but more glass to clean, Oh I got a 240 gallon for CHEAP thats on wife restriction. lol. 180 is nice 210 is my choice. Hight factor fer me, oh and i know a couple ppl that had really tall tanks and wished they would of never got rid of them, but did talk about the bottom issue.

Elmo18

I say...go as big...as you can...but I selected 180...as it is maintainable in my opinion...

Although...a 240 is better :p

Best,
Ilham

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hummm... a 225 gal would be nice with 6" more of floor space.... ohhh lordy....

I am going to look at a 180 gal today...

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I looked a few used tanks 180 and a 210... I definately do not want the 210 although it was only $800 for tank, canopy, unfinished stand, sump, top off, and refugium. The 180 is only $600 and it comes with a basic AGA stand/canopy. It only has one overflow in the corner and I prefer dual overflows.

I also priced new AGA 120 & 180 at a lfs... $399 & $699 respectively.. custom stands are around $500 and canopies are $250 (any size or shape I like). I will probably go this route....