"Tom's RSM 250"

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Been away from the forum a couple of days, just read your updated thread. I'm so sorry to hear this news. You seem to be handling it well. I'll be honest makes me a worry a bit about mine since I've some of the same mods as you had. I hope the clean up is manageable and look forward to your return build next fall. Hang in there.

tnwillia

Hey John, finished the clean-up yesterday and cleaning all the equipment this week to be put away for later. Floor inspection is next and it looks like I only dumped about 20 gal into my carpet but it could have been MUCH worse. My contractor thinks my floor is going to be OK cause I got the water up so quick. I guess on the bright side I wanted to get rid of the carpet and put down hardwood anyway LOL.

Only thing I can say is to really watch your sump/fuge spills and keep the stand wood dry in the caninets. I had rubber matting under and around my sump but you have a trade off as to water protection or being able to see your sump. so even with it water still found it's way down the side walls and under the rubber matting (this is the main cause of the damage you will see in the pictures). Mainly, I think, from skimmer overflows and the spray they kick off from the cup. I'd just give it an extra look next time you are cleaning. I'll take the pictures of the base of the stand today. Also, I really don't know here. The stand may have nothing to do with it and the glass "just failed" To be honest had Re Sea told me the stand was not meant to have a sump under it in 2009 instead of 2012 I would have done it anyway. This was my learning tank and it served it's purpose well! The stand is really in great shape for the most part, I'm going to put casters on it and turn it into a butcher block cart for my kitchen.

I'm looking at a Marineland DD 150 gal cube now as it will use everything I have for equipment now, I've done all the planning for that tank in the past, but it will be fall/winter before I go there. Thanks!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
So sorry to hear about the tank Tom. Glad to hear that it hasn't crushed your spirit!

1357HA

Awwwww, sorry to hear about your problem…..
But glad to hear that you have plans for a new tank, now, enjoy the planning….

tnwillia

OK, sorry it took a bit to get these up. Here is the stand and the wood damage caused by 3 years of spills I thought I got cleaned up each time.

Again, I have no idea if any of this was bad enough to cause the tank crack. These pictures are simply to let you see what can or will happen to this stand over time. I'll leave it to you guys to see what if any steps you might think you need to take with your sumps or other equipment in the cabinet. Thanks!

DSC02735.jpg

DSC02733.jpg

DSC02732.jpg

DSC02731.jpg

DSC02730.jpg

DSC02729.jpg

DSC02728.jpg

DSC02727.jpg

DSC02726.jpg

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thanks for posting the pics Tom, I think this will help many people who run a sump in the cabinet.

tnwillia

Glad they will help. I'm not trying to worry anyone but wood or partical board, press board plywood ect. is just that I has a lifespan, water shortens it. Good luck to all!

reeferman

good point Tom.sorry it had to come to this for others to learn.saltwater wreaks havoc on everything.all the unsealed seams that the stand has is just begging for water penetration.i always use a marine polyurethane as a sealer that puts a protective shell on the whole piece.after 3 coats,nothings getting through.i never really liked the 250 stand because of the unsealed seams and your pics justify my concerns.

tnwillia

Thanks Reggie, I was hoping you would jump in here. I'll follow your recommendations on my next stand. Thanks!

sk8rdn

Tom, how quickly do you think you'll be jumping back in? And would you go with another RSM or more the build-out route?

tnwillia

Hey sk8rdn, Today, LOL, It will be later this year, summer at the soonest. I'm finished with AIO tanks and I've been looking at a Marineland 150 or 200 gal DD for over a year now as my next tank.

While I really like the new Red Sea S series, I have all the equipment needed for up to a 300 gal tank so unless Red Sea would just sell just the tank/stand which they will not I end up with a lot of unused equipment. Thanks for stopping by!

dmatt88

Hey sk8rdn, Today, LOL, It will be later this year, summer at the soonest. I'm finished with AIO tanks and I've been looking at a Marineland 150 or 200 gal DD for over a year now as my next tank.

While I really like the new Red Sea S series, I have all the equipment needed for up to a 300 gal tank so unless Red Sea would just sell just the tank/stand which they will not I end up with a lot of unused equipment. Thanks for stopping by!

Good call buddy.

.......thanks for listening.

sk8rdn

tnwillia said:

Very nice. I love the marineland tanks, especially the 200 gallon range. They are just so imposing... Kind of an awe effect.

....Color by Technicolor....