"Tom's RSM 250"

tnwillia

Hi all, been setting in the backround learning. Found out about the RSM 250 last July, waited till Jan to get my hands on one. I love it, going slow so I'll only have to do things once. This site has given me more "needed" info than anywhere else I've looked to help me get this new system up and running.

This is the basic RSM 250. Only using Mechininal filters and rock. Started with 70lbs dry rock from Bulk reef supply and 10 lb live rock from my LFS. 60lbs Reef base. Korlia 1 & 3 to solve the dead spots in/around my rock.

Only real problem I've had is Temp, tank runs 84 to 76 over 24hrs. Tried all the suggestions here to solve this. I'm putting a JBJ 1/10 chiller on it next month before spring/summer come to South Carolina.

Thanks to all for being here and sharing your systems for us to learn as we build ours!

Picture attached...I think

Attachments

• 1 month into cycle a.jpg
    1 month into cycle a.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 3,299

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: RSM 250 1 month into cycle

tnwillia - Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club!

Nice to see another 250 owner arrive. Soon we'll have a good knowledge base on the 250 that will help others with that model. As with Rue I'm envious too! Sorry I can't help with the heat issue, but it seems to be the "issue du jour" on the 250, and the chiller should help.

dmyers557

Welcome and that tank is amazing. I wish I could afford that. Also, set your heater to 78 degrees and just run a fan across the surface. Leave the front flap open if it has one?

tnwillia

Thanks all for the welcome...

I said I was only running mechanical and rock and that's misleading. I'm running the standard tank just not using the Bio bag or the carbon. Had no problems with the skimmer at all. Put 20 oz of Chemi-pure in a week ago. Clean-up crews been in for 2 weeks and will start adding corals/fish next month or so after I get the temp stable.

Tried to run an external above tank fuge to start but had a snail crawl into my return line while I was at work and dumped 10 gal onto my floor so that ended the external Fuge for now. Running an in-tank small CPR with Cheato to build up my copepod population. Fun, Fun, Fun

dmyers557, thanks for the suggestion, I tried that along with other variations of open hood and different fans. Just can't get it to stablize over the 24 hr cycle. Most of the reading I did here over the last several months had me expecting to by the chiller anyway. So going with the chiller soon. My house stays at mid 70s year round. If it's doing this now, don't want to wait till it's 95/100 outside to have to solve this.

Thanks again to all and I'll add pictures here as it grows

Rue

No. It's a new model.

RSM started with the 130, then the 'new and improved' 130d

...and the 250.

tnwillia

brucewrs.... 250 is 250. I'm just not using a few things provided (carbon, biological media bag) letting rock/sand, mechinical & skimmer do all my filtration. otherwise following RSM build directions as written. So far all is well except temp control. That will be solved by end of the month with chiller. Love this tank!

tnwillia

brucewrs.... 250 is 250. I'm just not using a few things provided (carbon, biological media bag) letting rock/sand, mechanical & skimmer do all my filtration. otherwise following RSM build directions as written. So far all is well except temp control. That will be solved by end of the month with chiller. Love this tank!

I would go with a little bigger chiller for your 250. I also have a 250 and am using a 1/4hp chiller. Yes it's more money but the larger one won't have to work as hard to cool your tank! Just something to think about!

tnwillia

Thanks Bodyguard for the suggestion, after much reading I'm going with a JBJ Arctica 1/4 hp. Never heard a bad thing about their chillers. Still debating on which pump. Nothing I've looked at will fix the right chamber. Will probable just go external. I figure any price I pay will be cheaper than coming home to a dead tank one day. Our summers are known for Lightening and power outages. Already worked out my back-up power. Thanks again!

brucewrs

Thanks Bodyguard for the suggestion, after much reading I'm going with a JBJ Arctica 1/4 hp. Never heard a bad thing about their chillers. Still debating on which pump. Nothing I've looked at will fix the right chamber. Will probable just go external. I figure any price I pay will be cheaper than coming home to a dead tank one day. Our summers are known for Lightening and power outages. Already worked out my back-up power. Thanks again!

Rios 3100 fits.You just have to cut a 1/4" off the intake nozzle cover.Its a tight fit but it fits.Just put it down to the bottom and have the intake facing the skimmer.You will see what I am talking about.Its wide openen when you get to the bottom..Then I used the return line and put it into the hole of the tank where the small pump was located.More flow and fits like a glove.
See my thread that I posted in this section...

tnwillia

Brucewrs......Thanks, I'll check it out. I had a Maxijet 1200 down there when I first started for an above tank fuge. but pulled it out. Thanks again!

tnwillia

Trying Photobucket, hope this works......

Incycle.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

DSC00692.jpg

DSC00696.jpg

DSC00688.jpg

DSC00687.jpg

DSC00537.jpg

tnwillia

Pictures are shuffled, so here is what they are

#1 1 week into cycle
#2 thru #6 are this week almost into month 5
#7 is at 3 months.

Things are coming along slowly. Thanks to everyone on here, I've not had a single problem that was not solved in the pages of this fourm!

brucewrs

I notice your return for your chiller goes directly into your tank.Is that why the hood is not sitting right?I did the same thing with my fuge return.If you move your return onto the left side all you have to do is take a dremel and sand a little groove into the plastic.Then the hood closes with no problems.The left side has a cut out already for the fans..
Here is a pic .Just sand down under the hose closest to the main part.

return3.jpg