Tom's 200g DD

gimmito

Nice planning thus far Tom, I'm tagging along. Funny how all these former RSM owners are going BIG. :D

tnwillia

Hey Jim, Bigger (150 to 300gal) was always my goal. I'd never done Reef/Saltwater before and the RSM was my learning tank. It served it's purpose well and I'm ready to move to the bigger tank but the learning never stops. And, I hate the RSM rear chambers, once you move away from it being a stock tank they are more trouble than they are worth. Thanks!

Hey Juan, It's a bug everyone can catch LOL!

mbdave

Tom,
Great planning! And starting the pellets right out of the gate has served me well in the infancy of the tanks I have now, "I cant remember the last time I tested for Phos and Nitrate" why?
Great start I really like the thought and love those deep demension tanks!
Dave

tnwillia

Hey Dave agree 100% When I saw that 36" deep area compared to my current 18" All I could think of was what I could do with all that room. Thanks and best wishes to you!

tnwillia

Hey Juan, It progresses LOL. I got my RF 4 Channel Wireless equipment yesterday and started working out how to replace the existing wired hoist control with the RF wireless unit. I've not built it yet but I think I have the wiring worked out. I'll tri this next weekend. Here are a few pictures of the original hoist wiring, my changes to add the Wireless RF and a Picture of the parts. Enjoy!

DSC02616.jpg

DSC02615.jpg

DSC02614.jpg

tnwillia

I doubt it will be wet till first of the year, I'll get the tank in Nov and plan on taking my time in the build up to get things right on the first try. Thanks Steve!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I knew you were upgrading but I didn't know you'd started a thread yet! Good luck with everything, i'll be tagging along :).

jpsika08

Nice diagrams and Hoist!

I can figure this will lift the whole canopy in case you need to do major maintenance and inhabitants addition/removal? Will the canopy have an easy access for feeding and quick access?

tnwillia

Yes to all Juan. As Steve has talked about how hard it is to get around for cleaning in the DD tank I wanted a way around that. I will have 360 degree access at the press of a button (I hope!) Plan to get the electronics wired this weekend and see if it will work. I can't actually mount it in the attic till I get the tank in place, I don't want to drill 10 holes in the ceiling trying to hit the hoist location. Thanks!

steved13

PREMIUM
Sounds and looks like a good plan, Tom. Hoisting from the attic should be much easier than what I was trying to do. The doors on mine are working out pretty well though, but not as easy as just getting the whole thing out of the way.

jpsika08

+1 sounds like a great plan, ain't you too excited by now to get the new tank :D

I would be eating my finger nails by now LOl

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
Following along!! Good luck with the hoist!!

sent from Stretch's DROID X using Tapatalk

tnwillia

Thanks Juan I'm ready for the tank but forcing myself to wait till it cools off in SC.

I've spent two weekends now trying to get the Wireless RF to work with no luck, this forced me to remember electronics theory I forgot 30 years ago LOL. My drawing I posted will not work so don't go that way. I'll still try to work it out but for now I plan to run a longer control cable down the inter wall to a mounted wall switch by the tank. I'll still have the same capability with the hoist. I found one guy on the web who has done this (wireless RF RC) but I've not been able to contact him, It was fun to try! Thanks all!