Tank turned 49 this year

Paul B

I have been looking for this little pipe for weeks and couldn't find him. I figured he croaked. But he came out all smiling and happy looking. Who would have thought?

Paul B

Today I needed to remove my algae scrubber to scrape off the algae. To do that I have to reach in to the back of the tank that is in a wall to remove a hose clamp. AS soon as I touched it ZZZZZAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
I got a shock. Not one of those little Sissy shocks that some people complain about like when they have a cut and feel a tingle. This was one of those throw you across the room while your shoes stay put shocks that real Men get. I know what a shock feels like because I was a construction electrician in Manhattan all my life. I couldn't figure out where the shock came from so I stuck my hand in there again. That was real smart, and this time the lights went out, GFCI tripped and I will be awake for a week and if I had acne, it would have cleared up.
Now I figured it was not my imagination so I got my meter. I can read 70 volts from my water cooled LED system to ground. I should read zero because LEDs are DC current and shouldn't induce any power. I am not sure yet why I am reading 70 volts AC but I will get around to fixing the problem. If I ground the system there is a chance that I will burn out half or more of the LEDs so I don't want to do that. I don't want to remove the fixture to work on it on my workbench (which is what I should do) as I am sure one, or more of my 144 solder connections is touching the copper frame. It will take a little deducing but I am sure I will straighten it out before I electrocute myself. But at least it brought back memories from when I used to get shocked all the time.

deaclauderdale

I am glad that I found a new reliable source for clams to feed my tank. They sell clams all over the place here on Long Island but sometimes the larger ones are hard to find.
I ran out of them for a week and my fish were carving Human Racial Slurs at me on the glass. But now they are happy.

Your fish need sensitivity training...lol

Reef keeping is life!

Paul B

I will get back to my tank when this is all over. If I still have a tank because I am ignoring it for now. I am having some issues now because my Wife's Mom is on the verge of dying in a nursing home and it should be any time or any day now so we are spending all our time doing that.

Paul B

I will probably go collecting on this beautiful Father's day after we visit my Mother N Law who is near the end of her life and in a nursing home.
My tank has been without fresh mud all winter and I think it needs a new infusion. I will also collect amphipods, worms, mussels, snails and anything else that looks muddy, dirty or full of life. I realize many people cringe at the thought of putting that type of stuff in their tank, but the majority of those sterile tanks have fish with a very weak, or missing immune system which is the reason for all the disease and getting out of the hobby threads. It is the bacteria, specifically the gut bacteria that keeps our fish (and us) disease free.
The "inside the box" thinking is to try to keep fish away from disease. My thinking is to encourage these bacteria and parasites to live in my tank so the fishes immune system can recognize them and destroy, or at least ignore these things. I don't think most aquarists will ever fully grasp this theory so we will keep having disease threads suck as :My fish have ich, what can I do"? We all know that is the most posted question and IMO there is no need for it.
Soon I will be gone and I fear that this theory will also diminish leaving all those fish prone to un necessary diseases.
Just my opinion of course.

https://www.army.mil/article/161643/Army_s_Research_Institute_conducts_MRE_study_to_improve_gut_health/

cracker

Paul Your methods of sticking as close to nature as possible makes sense. The long term health of your tank proves that. Also I'd like to ask how high off the sand bed is Your rock work? Would You change it ? Thanks

Paul B

My rock height varies but as long as I can keep it lifted off a little seems good. Most of my rocks do not touch the gravel as I built concrete pillars to raise it up. I would not change it as I have not found any problems. If I were to take my tank down and do it again, I would have virtually all of my rocks off my gravel. I would build a thin cement base with reinforcing inside sort of like an open lattice or mattress and place the rocks on top of that. That base would be suspended from above by stainless steel or nylon cables. That would be what I would do if I did it over.

Paul B

I changed one of my seawater circulating pumps this morning. Now it is nice and quiet again. This of course is the engine with the pump removed. It covers those two holes in the block.
Now I can get on with some collecting again.

rostervandross

Hey Paul I have a couple questions . I saw your old metal halide fixtures in your book, I'm looking for one and there's lots of 400w warehouse lights and such for next to free. Could these be used for the aquarium bulbs? I Would probably need a new reflector but I just want to make sure I can use the hardware and ballast from it and wire a plug.

Second is I'm going to try to make some rocks with mortar. I got a bag of grey unmodified mortor, is this right stuff or do I need "modified" or "professional" mortar or perhaps mix my tile mortar with a more sandy concrete like mix? Quickrete etc

Hope all is well, positive vibrations to you and your wife concerning her mother.

DaveK

Hey Paul I have a couple questions . I saw your old metal halide fixtures in your book, I'm looking for one and there's lots of 400w warehouse lights and such for next to free. Could these be used for the aquarium bulbs? I Would probably need a new reflector but I just want to make sure I can use the hardware and ballast from it and wire a plug.

Second is I'm going to try to make some rocks with mortar. I got a bag of grey unmodified mortor, is this right stuff or do I need "modified" or "professional" mortar or perhaps mix my tile mortar with a more sandy concrete like mix? Quickrete etc

Hope all is well, positive vibrations to you and your wife concerning her mother.

Unless your talking a huge tank, 400w MHs, even at a bargain price are not a good choice. In addition to the heat produced and power consumed, 400w MH bulbs have a very limited selection. Unless you have some very specific requirement, you'll actually save money with another lighting system and get a better spectrum at the same time.

It is quite possible to make your own rocks. Here is an excellent article on the subject (offsite) - http://www.garf.org/class.html

rostervandross

Nice thanks for the heads up maybe I'll skip 400w then. Looking for another 250w which is what I have now but there's a 1000w one on Craigslist ! Haha maybe I could grow a mangrove forest . Again probably not many 20k 1000w bulbs and hot

Edit:
I'm seeing lots of 400w aquarium bulbs on Amazon .

Last edited:

Paul B

Most of those parking and industrial light fixtures are sodium lights and not suitable for a tank. If you can find MH fixtures you can use them but you will have to change the bulb to something with the correct spectrum. The ballasts are not interchangeable. They are about a hundred bucks each. As was said, they get very hot and are very heavy. I used them because I had them but I am very glad I now use LEDs.
As for the mortar, it just has to be regular brick mortar, not fast drying or anything else with epoxy or anything else. It is very cheap, practically free. A five lb bag is probably 3 bucks.
My wife's Mom died this morning at 12:30. She was 90 and suffering very badly for the last couple of weeks so it was a relief when she finally passed but it was very draining, especially for my wife.
Thank you for asking.
I had these lights left over from lighting up the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan and used them for a few years on my tank.

Here I am installing one on the Plaza. And doing some CAD welding on a New York City garbage incinerator.

Last edited:

rostervandross

Seriously cool man. You're way up there. That first picture there is the one that sparked my question because they look a lot like industrial ones/hoods.

So it turns out I have the regular mortar, but it's thin set- more for tile than for brick. Maybe I can bring it back and get some brick mortar because I think that would be better to have more sand and pebbles in it. Hmm or maybe mix them together? I have 50lbs !

Paul B

I would not use thin set. That has more in it than mortar and may be poisonous to your tank. Get regular plain mortar. It doesn't have pebbles in it because it is for setting bricks.

Paul B

Last night when I came home after my Mother n Law's wake I noticed an awful smell. I went downstairs and looked at the tank, and it looked fine, but in my workshop I found the problem. My live blackworm tank reeked. Yesterday for a split second the power went off, but the small pump in the worm tank didn't re start. 90% of the worms croaked and turned into this discussing tan jelly. I still had on my suit and my Grand Daughter was sleeping 10 feet away so I had to be quiet. I dumped out the worms and rinsed out the tank.
I removed the living worms and re started the worm tank. Now it is back to normal. My tank needs a glass cleaning because it has been neglected with the last days of my wife's Mom, the wake, funeral and all that.
It is all over now and tomorrow life should get back to normal. After the funeral we all went to a local Italian restaurant for a dinner. There were about 30 of our close friends and family there.
Now I need to hatch some brine shrimp, clean the glass, get ready to change some water and do a little much needed maintenance

Paul B

Today I finally got a chance to take care of my tank. I cleaned the glass and immediately noticed one of my newer gorgonians fell on top of a large mushroom and most of the gorg croaked. That is not a big deal as it happens all the time. Gorgonians are tall and top heavy so if you don't glue them (and your fish don't like the place you put them) they fall down.
I am sure my fireclown picked it up and toppled it. That is a big problem with spawning fish or fish in excellent health, they think they are the boss of you and feel their way of aquascaping is better.

I reached in to move that gorgonian and he bit me, causing me to pull back my hand breaking off a large piece of montipora. This also happens all the time and I was going to break that piece off anyway because it was growing to close to the front glass. So I glued that piece of monti back and while I was doing that, the other fireclown, who must have seen my pain when her mate bit me, also bit me also causing me to pull away breaking off a piece of slimmer coral. Now I got smart. It takes me a while. I removed the broken piece of slimmer with a "grabber" while both fireclowns were scowling at me. Then I glued it back on the other side of the tank. A place where the clowns never visit and probably have never seen. I then decided to give up on maintenance for a while.

I glued back the monti just below the bottle neck and a piece of the SPS near the top a little to the left. (Those monti's always break)

Paul B

I soaked the tiny pump for my worms in bleach and I noticed that the hole in the magnet is large and egg shaped. This happens all the time with those cheap pumps and it can be fixed, at least for a while by putting shrink tubing over the shaft. That takes up the space and the pump will run for may be another year. Then you just put on another piece of shrink tubing. I have a few pumps running with tubing on them now.
I am also going to slightly add something to my worm tank. I need more eggcrate to put in the trough of the thing. For some reason the worms love to congregate in the holes and it makes a convenient place to suck them out in the correct amounts for my tank. I have some in there now, but not enough.
I am also mixing up some water for a water change as it has been a while and I have been over feeding for a long time.
I was also thinking now that I only have one clown gobi I may again add some acropora. They always do well and grow fast and now that my clown gobies won't spawn all over them, they stand a chance.
Those stupid gobies spawn almost every week and kill over an inch of coral each time. They also always pick a new, live place on the coral to deposit their eggs. I was always more excited that the gobies were spawning than keeping those corals.
They are in this video which I took to show the possum wrasse.
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2013-07-20170924_zpsa27e514d.mp4.html?sort=3&o=383

Paul B

This morning I helped my Sicilian neighbor, (who was born in Sicily) to put up his 20' flagpole and put the American Flag on it.
Many Americans don't even have a flagpole so I am truly honored to have such good American neighbors.