Snelly's 90 ZEOvit TANK BUILD

Snelly40

@Frankie @Wrangy back on topic quickly, I've always dosed Kalk to regulate calcium and alk but obviously that's gone now with Zeo, totally worth it and I'm loving it so far, the dosing and maintenance just makes me feel even more involved , but what do u guys use to dose calcium? I was thinking b-ionic two part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I was going to upgrade to a calcium reactor recently but then I spent all that money on zoa's :/ haha I just dose 3-part to keep things stable in the tank :) I personally think calcium reactors are better but I've never had problems using 3-part. Both Fauna Marin and Brightwell (what I use now) have done well :)

Snelly40

Thanks @Frankie I appreciate that, you're always looking out!!

c9a76bc07c67f7156155c4358dd5a227.jpg

Plus the newest tank addition, he'll be the only crab

Snelly40

little update..

Zeo is in full effect, i also grabbed some korallen coral snow and i'm dosing a low amount as not many corals yet. water params are great, skimmer is pulling out some nasty stuffff :celebrate:which i heard it would with switching to Zeo...

here's a few comparison pics...

1 month ago today...
3 - ftf 2-20.jpg

3 weeks ago...
9.1 fts new lights 2-27 2.JPG

Last night!!
ftf 3-20.JPG

Snelly40

I've been a bit confused on my first read through of zeo, but looking good for you. :)
thanks buddy, and yah there is a lot to read. The first basics seem to be the Base 4, this includes:
1) Zeolites (rocks which go in reactor) which absorb the ammonia and create a great bacteria breeding area and this is what you stir daily to release certain bacteria back into the tank.
2)ZeoBak - this is a bacteria solution that is dosed into the same area as the reactor and helps feed the beneficial bacteria that you want.
3) SpongePower , i went with this over zeofood since it is less harsh on the tank and zeofood has a higher risk of outbreaks in the tank
4) ZeoStart3- this also promotes the beneficial bacteria in the tank and raelly reduces the nitrites, trates and phosphates.

basically these 4 will create the Ulta Low Nutrient System that we are looking for. The first 2 weeks require a little more dosing, i do a few drops of each in the morning and a few at night to keep the levels stable. When and if you are interested i can give you my exact dosing amounts, all in all it is simple once you understand it and it takes but a few minutes in the morning and evening. After the first 2 weeks you dose about twice a week for the bacterial solutions and more often for the food. Stiring the reactor literally takes 15 seconds as well.

As with anything with a reef, it is a lot of reading and can seem overwhelming but it is not that bad and i can already see some positive results.

edit: Run carbon as well, and this is swapped out every 30 days...

Snelly40

soooo... last week i did something that was too soon but it was too good a deal to pass up and since my levels have been outstanding and i have kept many anemones I went with it. I had ti dial my lights way down for a few days and it was hiding under a rock butttttt Friday night i got home from work and it was out and looking amazing. The third pic is the best one.. The colors are just phenomenal and for 50 bucks i simply had to do it...

rbta1.JPG rbta2.JPG rbta3.JPGrbta4.JPG

Snelly40

Hey guys... So today ends the two weeks on Zeo and therefor the Zeo cycle... Tank has looked great up until this morning, I just snapped a pic and after googling maybe it's good the cycle is over, dialing back on zeostart and sponge food... This looks like a weird diatom issue more than algae, what do u think?? @Frankie @Wrangy

62eb4153502db7433fa09b54a4796378.jpg

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Dial back on the bak dosing I think is the solution for this? I think lol I had some pretty good diatom blooms in the first month or so and they've slowly been dying back off again and I didn't change anything so it might just be the system settling in but maybe Frankie will have some solutions :)

Snelly40

Dial back on the bak dosing I think is the solution for this? I think lol I had some pretty good diatom blooms in the first month or so and they've slowly been dying back off again and I didn't change anything so it might just be the system settling in but maybe Frankie will have some solutions :)

thanks wrang... thats what i was thinking, i read some last night and many people say the ZeoStart can do this as well, i'll be dialing back on that and due to the cycle being over it'll start being twice a week for the Bak so i'm hoping that helps... it's been so clean and great, but hey at least the corals look phenomenal!!

Last edited:

Snelly40

ok, well i've been dosing zeostart 3 at .4ml twice per day so I am going to give it a few days and start dosing .2 twice per day which should make a difference... i'll suck out the unsighltly bloom this evening but on a positive note all the levels are perfect and corals are loving life!! As soon as I am very cofrotable after this bloom i'll add some SPS for you wrangy hahaha