Rien his RSM C 250 adventure

Rini

Took several months before the clowns found the nem.

Awww. Perhaps you have a good reason not to get them anymore? Would like to know. I really love them.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Squatch XXL

Perhaps you have a good reason not to get them anymore? Would like to know.
My current tank is a 40 gallon breeder (46cm tall x 46 cm wide and 92cm long).

I currently keep a mantis shrimp, and would be concerned about it being eaten by the Nem.

I am in the planning/setup stage of a 90ish gallon (60cm x 60cm x 92 cm) and am seriously considering making a "relationship" tank.

By that I mean things like Nems and clowns....Goby and pistol shrimp etc. Any of the odd "buddy" systems that can happen. I am 6 months or more away from stocking at this point.

dacianb

Great build thread. Nice to follow.
I have a question - coral beauty angelfish - how is doing with your corals? I red so many bad things about.
On my bucket list I have a flame angelfish, but never dared to buy it.
Some time ago I had a bicolor angel which vandalized all zoas - not picking here and there, was a pitbull tearing apart in tiny pieces any zoa he could find.
But still, that flame angel is sooo nice. Probably coral beauty cannot live peacefully in my tank as seems that kole tang (is the king in my tank) attack every dark fish, but ignore others. A poor tail spotted blenny have a continuous hide and seek game with the kole.

Rini

Hi Dacianb,

That is a nice name: Coral beauty angelfish. We call him D.Keizer, in dutch we call it an dwergkeizer.
I have never seen him pick any Corals. What you do see is that he is picking the algae stuff around the corals. Aagje is doing the same ( yellow tang). As far they told me it is the one of 'dwergkeizer's that is most reefsave of the family. And till now never see him eat something or destroying something. I have zoa's, sps, lps leather. He is eating from the algae grazer we have in the tank. Is searching on rocks.
I try to be as good for her/him as possible.

The flame angelfish is an great looking fish. Almost got one a few weeks ago. We were walking in Breda (Coral and fish store) and there were some. Danielle really love them. We did not get it because I wanted to be sure it is like our D.Keizer. Wanted to do more reading on that one before adding.
And to be honest, didnt do it yet. Must do it, since we have to visit that store in a couple of weeks anyway and for sure they are there again. And must come with a good story for Danielle. ;)

For the dutch speaking followers: http://www.hobbykwekers.nl/zeewater/item/centropyge-loricula-rode-dwergkeizer-4

dacianb

I saw pictures with tanks keeping both those angels together... put in once or different days, dont know. But are no so aggressive, especially as they are quite different looking. I still can squeeze couple of fishes in my tank.... so I have to decide very reef safe or possible issues :). But they are sooooo nice and I dont have any red fish :rolleyes:

Rini

@dacianb A friend of mine had the orange one and that one was eating the Tracheophillia.

Things further go pretty well. A few pages back I told that I got an few corals from a friend. 1 was pretty much dying since they let it lie on the floor. So i took the chance.
See the difference already within 1 month:

When we got it:

How it look today 20.01.2016

We are on the right way. We see for sure some green points. :)
Long way to go.

Further did make an stupid mistake. I'm using the red sea A/B/C powder versions. My B bottle was empty, so I did make a new one. Except i did use C instead of the B... That explains why my KH did not raise the past few weeks, and my MG stayed over the 1500............................ Since Christmas 2015 I did add the MG... instead of the KH. If i did calculate it right it was very close to 1800 for a few weeks. Resulted that my Calsium was over 500 as well. Both could not be measured with 1 ml of the red sea testers (CA & MG).

our water levels:
KH 10.9
Nitrate 3
Phosphate 0,06
Calsium 460
Magnesium 1500. Coming from high..... So things getting better.
With the result that the calsium is now a bit dropping as well. So have to adjust a bit to get to the desired level +/-.

Glad it did not any harm as far I can see now. No idea about the long term.

Rini

An week further and gladly the levels going down.
As I added in the hitchiker ID thread I found a spot where red hair is coming from the sand and is waving friendly to me. Really wondering what it is. It is really RED.

red hair zoomed.jpg

Further I'm switching a bit with water testers. My Nitrate was done with Salifert but I have troubles to read the difference with the pink colors. Mostly Danielle had to double check. Now i'm going to try the Colombo one. To see if thats working better for me.

So i bought myself an Colombo No3 set from the store. At home I thought the range was a bit silly.
See the picture.

IMG_0896(1).JPG

My first assumption was, freshwater test stuff in an marine box.
After contacting Colombo it where the first marine testers of NO3. Old one and the store should not have them anymore. Some have them still it seems.,
Hopefully today the new one arrive.

Didnt want to test the red sea first, since it is pretty expensive. If this one is not what I like either then I will try the red sea one.
If people have suggestions for an easy to read NO3 test, please.

1 sad thing happened 1 of our bloodshrimp has passed away. We got him pretty big, so no idea how old he/she was. First I hoped it was an molt, but it was the real thing. As soon I go to the store will get another one. I like to have 2 again.

Further things go pretty good. Slowly have to change my light bulbs. They are now 7 months in use.
They are powered on for 10 hours a day.

Have decided to not clean the black back anymore. Since I was doing more damage then positive results. Everytime I was cleaning an coral came down, or broke something from the sps.
I placed the sps a bit on the background, since I do not really find them that great to watch. It are frags, perhaps when they are bigger they are more fun to watch. For now they may stay out of sight. When cleaning the glass I was almost always touching them or they felt down. And things broke off. Done with that. I noticed that my dragonet and yellow tang are now using the back for grabbing / searching food. win / win.
Sometimes I stand in front of the tank almost ready to clean the back. I can talk myself out of it.....
:) it is hard!

How do things look today 27.01.2016
Keep in mind the lights just powered on, so the most corals are still in night mode :)
And we are aiming for coral grow, so the brownisch color are there.

IMG_1220 (2).JPG

The first coral ever is doing so good.

IMG_1216 (2).JPG IMG_1217.JPG

Here the background, almost got an cleaner again today.. So not like it.... But I must be strong!

IMG_1218.JPG

The coral that we got when it was close to dead is recovering very well. It is below in this picture, you see some green tips. Joy!

IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1221 (2).JPG IMG_1222 (2).JPG

Mona slowly waking up.

IMG_1223 (2).JPG

Further it looks like we still are in control of the Cyano. So now and then I see a spot.
Soon after our goby discovered the spot it is gone.

Desmond

Wow rini the tank is looking awesome so it is :)
Is that a coral beauty angel fish you have ? I must say i am loving the look of your tank :)

Rini

Thanks @Desmond Must say our family is happy with it too.
Everything is growing very well.

And yes that is an Coral beauty angel fish. I like that name better as our dutch name : Dwergkeizer.

Desmond

Thanks @Desmond Must say our family is happy with it too.
Everything is growing very well.

And yes that is an Coral beauty angel fish. I like that name better as our dutch name : Dwergkeizer.
Has it shown any interest in your corals ? They can nip and eat them sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G870F using Tapatalk

Rini

Not shown. Seems this type is the most reefsave. Sometimes i think he does. If i go watch closer i see hè is trying to get the stuff hè eats from the coral.
Till now no issues

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Rini

Day 220.
Things going fast.
Today I tested again the water. Numbers are pretty good.

KH 11.8
Calsium 500 : bit to high, not dosing any foundation A since a week or so to bring down.
Magnesium 1480
Nitrate : 3-4
Phosphate 0,06

Further I noticed that my skimmer is making SO much noise now since 2-3 days that I'm going to contact Red sea for this. I must now raise volume of our radio to not hear the tank. That is not how it should go. A bit noise is fine, but this is too much.

Rini

Already thought, I had an larger story to tell. So i missed a few things. I blame the coffee. As in not got enough coffee yet. :)

Seems my elegance flower is going for a 2nd head. At least that is what i think.
Since a few days we see a 2nd opening. Have made it red in the picture below.

Further I have changed the waterflow a tiny bit.
Seems our briareum did not like that very much. It has not opened for a couple of days. So i hope he will be alright.

briareum.png

We lost 1 of our bloodshrimps some days ago. The past weekend we get to the store for another one. They only had 1 small one left.
No problem it will grow bigger in time. And we decided to get an nice blue umbrella worm.
Back home. Few hours later the new swimmers were introduced to the tank.
Everything looking good.
The day after.....
Expensive sushi... No sign of the smaller shrimp. The umbrella worm was on another spot where we put him. And looked like the tube was empty...
Tried to place it somewhere else just in case it was still there.
Now a few days later nothing happening.
So my guts says the crew got expensive shushi.
Sad.
Lesson learned : bigger shrimp next time. and tube worm is a no go i think.

Rini

Day 237

Things going pretty good. Our BTA is walking around. We thought she had found a new place, but it is not the case. Since today she is wandering around again. Hopefully she stays a bit in front of the tank.

IMG_1461.JPG

Further I have got myself a new water tester: Kalium.
And seems my kalium is 412 mg/l. No idea if this is good / bad / ok. Have to find some information about that.
Reason was that i'm adding the red sea color's *A/B/C/D*. And with that you add Kalium.
Thats why i want to know if i'm not going out of whack.

IMG_1463.JPG

Further we found out that our youngest bloodshrimp did not end up as Sushi. The little bugger is hiding under a rock. I found him a few days ago there accidentially.
Only the umbrella worm ended up as sushi.
Still, for next time we get a big one. This little one is most likely staying there the coming months.
His big brother is not affraid, and comes to my hand. When i'm in the store and see another big one, it wil be mine ;)

Weekend has started. All a good weekend!

Rini

Oh man, almost 2 months ago that I have updated my log. And the sad part is, I do not even have an excuse for it.

2 months later not much has changed. Only 1 thing has died on us the Briareum sp coral. As you can see in the pictures here above there was not much happening. And it became less and less. And then decided to take it out. I'm not sure if they like BTA's that are passing by. In my case this happend a few times.
Time to visit my niece to collect a new frag.

The time has come to replace my lightbulbs. I noticed that I got more green algae in the back.
So did some searching on the web, and seems it can be related to the t5's.
My search for the red sea lights started. And typically is where I get the tank from is an red sea dealer, but does not have red sea t5 lightbulbs.
Basiscally asked, thats fine, I need 6 new bulbs. They advised the ATI lights. And gave an extra comment. Some people like the look of a bit more blue in the tank. We checked that, and yes we like that too.

So now we have:
2x Aqua Blue Special

1x Blue Plus Special

2x Actinic

1x Purple Plus

Picture before the change:

And the picture with the ATI lights:

We both like the blue one more. To be honest on the photo it is more blue as in real life.

Further we have an small issue with the pump of the skimmer. Yesterday it started to act up. Didnt power on. Became hot, but nothing. Cleaned ( i clean every 3 months), and it started to pump a bit.
Put it back in the tank. It did run for 5 minutes, and stopped.
Became hot again. Decided to contact my red sea person by email.
And this morning I got confirmation that they will send an replacement.
Thats what I call service.

Water levels.

PH 8.1
dKH 11.1
NItrate 3
Phosphate 0,16
Calcium 550
Magnesium 1520
Kalium 400
Salt 35 ppm

Calcium and MG are a bit high working towards to get it down. Typical is after a waterchange the levels go up. My CA level was before the waterchange 460. And MG 1440.
MG is the only thing that wont go down quickly enough before an waterchange. So that will stay above the 1400. And after an water change mostly end up 1500.

Daily dose currently :

Red sea reef foundation A: 0 ml. Since the CA must go down
Red sea reef foundation B : 25 ml. This will keep the dKH pretty stable
Red sea reef foundation C : 0 ml. Since Christmas 2015 i'm not adding any MG.

Red sea reef energy A : 3 ml
Red sea reef energy B : 3 ml

Red Sea Nopox : 8 ml

Red sea corals A /B /C/ D : 1 ml per letter

Every 14 days (today is the day again) 19 ml Microbe-lift special blend.

Now investigating the new Red Sea media rack. Not sure if I find worth the price to be honest. Hope to find some people with experience using it. I do not care to spend money, but wasting money is not my favorite thing :).
Not sure, but can it be used as a small refugium.
Some question I have.

Few pictures:

The frogspawn here on the right has moved again. It was to much in the wateflow.
It is not eay to find an spot where the waterflow is low in this tank.

As you can see in the picture below it is a bit more open.

My rBTA is a bit lost. It has been wandering around the tank since the clowns started to host it.
I'm now feeding it everyday, and it seems to like that. She don't move anylonger. Hopefully it will recover a bit now.

Did do some reading on the website I got from @nanoreefing4fun : http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

On the picture below you see an big wurm.
It is no longer in the tank. It started to go around the tank and to be honest I get the creeps from it. So i removed it. They seems harmless what i read on the internet.
But it scares me, so it had to go.

oooh. Leo did escape past weekend, and got to the sump area. Leo is our Percnon gibessi crab.
It was our first animal in the nano tank. Our very first SW animal. So we have special feeling with Leo.
We see Leo everyday doing his work. And we missed that very much. So we spend some time to get him back from the sump to the main part.
That was not easy. Leo is fast, very fast.
But finaly we got him.
We think that it came because we are not cleaning the back of the glass anymore, so it is a bit rough, and he can climb on it. So now I have cleaned a few centimeters of the back, so he is not able to climb high enough to reach the sump, we hope. Till now he didn't go out.

So yes, a few things happend afterall :)

Thanks again for reading.

If you have experience with the new red sea media basket let me know please :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for checking in with the great update mate ! Love the new ATI bulbs - imo great choice in T5s !

I have an inTank StevieT media rack & it's great. The original RSM 250 did not come with one... so sure this influenced my decision, it is quality made and works well.

Antics

Looking awesome! Not sure what bulb or types I'll use. Definitely might need to start researching that.