ATI Blue Plus + T5 Bulb, 36" (39W) x3
Item# LT-ATI-1011 $52.80 USD 1 $52.80 USD
ATI Purple Plus T5 Bulb, 36" (39W)
Item# LT-ATI-1127 $17.60 USD 1 $17.60 USD
ATI Coral Plus + T5 Bulb, 36" (39W)
Item# LT-ATI-1135 $17.60 USD 2 $35.20 USD
Subtotal $105.60 USD

Rini

Since the skimmer was making more and more noise it was time to try something different.
It is clear it is resonating / resonates on the "floor" the skimmer is.
Some time ago we did visit an Ikea store, and we found some (I can't believe this is the right english word) felt coasters. Google translate is not doing the trick.
They cost around 0,95.

IMG_1803 (2).JPG

IMG_1802.JPG

So I thought, I going to try that. Used my coral glue and made some shoes for the pump and skimmer housing.

IMG_1801 (2).JPG

Make sure the profile is downwards. Otherwise there is change for aquaplanning... Yes yes it is Sunday ;)

IMG_1800.JPG

And it helps a lot. DIY silencer :)

At night when I go rob the fridge it is almost quiet in the living room. ;)

Today changed another T5 bulb. Have changed 2 now. 4 more to go. Changing every 2 days currently 1 bulb.

Last edited:

chipmunkofdoom2

Haha, "coaster" is correct... that's what everyone (at least in my area of the US) calls them.

Interesting side note to go along with that, in the computing world we sometimes refer to DVDs or CDs that did not burn correctly as being "coasters." The idea is that since the disk did not burn correctly, the only thing it's good for now is being a coaster, or protecting a table from a cup!

EDIT: Also, this is my first time looking through your thread... very nice looking tank :)

Rini

Ahhhh good to know.
We call the ship on the picture below coaster. So was a bit surprised the outcome of Google.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
ea85cee23e9c196cd60b40d1c019ff24.jpg

Oxylebius

Are those coasters reef safe? I'm always nervous to use things DIY without explicit information saying its food safe or aquarium safe.

Good question. I was wondering this also. Not sure anyone has the answer to this.

@Rini I hope this works out for you. You will have to keep us posted. Watch to make sure they don't fall apart (disintegrate) over time. It could take a year or more. But, I'd watch that stuff. Even rubber can break down over years of being in a tank (the rubber used to cushion pumps, etc.).

Antics

I think BRS sells a similar foam that helps with vibration noises, don't know how easily(if it should be) cut up, but maybe check that out in the future if you begin to have issues with the DIY Ikea coasters. :D

Rini

Day 297.

As we say here: Meten is weten. Directly translated :measuring is knowing.

PH 8.1

dKH 10.2. This is lower as past week : 11,1. So the 25 ml reef foundation B is not doing the trick. Seems the tank is using more KH. Need to adjust again.

Nitrate : 3. Think it is closer to 2. So this is going to right direction with the 8ml nopox each day.

Phosphate : 0,16. This is the same as last week.

Calsium 520: This is slowly dropping from 550 last week.

Magnesium : 1500. This is dropping a bit too. Last week 1520. The tank is not much using MG.

Kalium : I must have made an mistake, it show 450. Want to check tomorrow again.

Salt 34 ppm.

Our Mona is not having her best time. She keeps wandering around. And she is not what she used to be. If we calculate back it started when the clowns took her as home.
Yesterday I thought she was going to split.
IMG_2105.JPG IMG_2106.JPG

Seems she just spread her legs. Later that evening she was just moved a bit up.
I'm a bit worried about her at the moment. She is not happy (we think). A dark color.

This she was in her glory days:

Not much left of that sadly.
Her mouth is closed gladly. We have feed her now a few days in a row.
Don't want to overfeed. So yesterday and today no food. Most likely in the weekend again.
What I understand works it with feeding like an Dog. Keep eating : throwing up, and eat again. :)

Rini

mean while we had an small thing with an Acro and montipora. They were touching each other. So did create a new topic to ask. And I got an answer that I expected. Best to move it. So followed the advice.

before:

IMG_2223.JPG

After:

IMG_2225.JPG

The water was very foggy afterwards. Working with the 2 component stuff makes the water foggy.
Offcourse after the move of the acro a few pieces broke. So a few new frags. Since I was messing in the tank have done some more maintenance, and glue stuff. Few rocks where a bit wobbly (hope it is the right word). More firm now.

Our bta is no longer. It was going the wrong way. And before it did any harm I removed her. I suspect the clowns. Since they found her, she started to wander around and lost her good look.
The tank where she came from had clowns, only the dark ones.
Sad. Want to try another one, since I really find it very interesting creatures.

thats it for the Sunday. Now time for coffee.

Antics

Congrats on the successful move, sorry to hear about your BTA. I'm kind of on the fence about getting one myself. I think they look great and really add another element to owning clowns, but I'm not a fan of all the potential downsides they bring.

Rini

Thanks. Yes it is so much fun to see such symbiose. Really like that. Like my yellow goby and his pistol shrimp. Comic duo :)

Meanwhile I have started an small other project. My saltwater experience started with an nano tank. 30 liters fun. That was just to see if we would like the saltwater hobby. Long story short : Yes. After some months the C-250 was there.
Meanwhile the nano tank went to my parents as fresh water aquarium. But after some months it was no fun for them. I got the nano back and it landed in the attic.

Last year I made some diy live rock. And still had some left.
So I was thinking, stones lying unemployeed in the barn. On the attic an nano tank.
That can better.
So decided today to use the waterchange water from the c250 to fill the nano.
IMG_2249.JPG

Goal is to use it as some sort of breeding tank for artemia.
Perhaps some chaeto algae to produce some pods. And if things go terrible bad with the c250 I have some sort of rescue tank.

The system:
Dennerle Marinus cube 30l
Bio circulator 4-1. (no skimmer)
Reeflight 24 watt
Heater
Hydor korali 900

i'm cycling again.

Rini

Oh, will keep an eye on that to @Antics

Yesterday I did an waterchange. And today it was time to check the numbers.

PH 8.1
dKH 12: trying to keep it there now.
Nitrate: 2
Phosphate : 0,16
Calsium 425
Magnesium 1500
Salt 34

Nitrate & Phospate:
In all not really bad as far I can judge. Currently adjusting the Nopox from 8 ml per day to 4 ml per day. My nitrate and phosphate are now on an good level. It was some weeks ago a bit high. Now trying to keep it around this level.

Calsium & Magnesium :
Calsium went a bit down. Desired level is around 460. Didnt dose the past weeks.
Now it is time to dose a bit to go to around 460. With 10 ml reef foundation A it will go up a bit.
Magnesium is 1500. Nothing to do there. Seems 1500 is an magic number for my tank. Since it stayd pretty much since last Christmas on this level.

Salt was dropped a bit before the waterchange to 33. So had to adjust a bit yesterday. Now it is 34. Today want to bring it back to 35.
During the water testing did add some salt to the left over water. 10 spoons of salt brings it up 1. So added now 2 spoons. 8 more to go during the day.

What i'm dosing now:

Reef foundation A (ca/sr) : 10 ml
Reef foundation B : 25 to keep it around 12
Reef foundatin C : 0

Nopox : 4 ml to keep the nitrate and phosphate stable as it is now :2 & 0,16

Reef energy A : 3 ml
Reef energy B : 3 ml

Colors A/B/C/D : each 1 ml

Day 2 of the nano:
The nano tank is cycling. Looking good. Basically left over water from the C-250. And left over rocks. Fun again to be honest.

Rini

Day 319.

Today did some water testing.

PH 8.3
dKH 11.3
Nitrate : 2
Phosphate 0,16
Calsium 440
Magnesium 1480
Kalium : 430
Salt 35

Nitrate & Phosphate:
I started to dose 8 ml Nopox again per day this seems to keep my Nitrate and phosphate under control. WIth 6 ml as suggested on the bottle I see that the nitrate and phosphate rise a bit. Must admit that I have adjusted my feeding. It slowly became more and more. Don't want that when the fish see me walk by they start vomitting.

Calsium & MG:
The Calsium is back to normal again. Can dose a bit foundation A to raise to the 465. I noticed that for foundation A I need to dose a bit lower as described, otherwise it goes to high.
MG is going down slowly. Typical is, it goes now down to 1400 most likely, then a water change and bam back to 1500.

Kalium : this is pretty high. I stop the dosing of Coral colors B. Since that is dosing K.
Desired level is going back to 400.

That are the numbers for today.

Since Mona died (RBTA) the both clowns were desperate seeking for a new house. And they found!

IMG_2458.JPG

Funny things.

Things go pretty well.

Planning is to get another RBTA in some time. I think the clowns will like that more as the flower on the sandbed.
And it is fun to see that symbiose.

Gladly Leo has not going to the sump anymore. I now keep the backglass a few cm from the top clean. So he has no grip to climb higher.
Seems to work :)

thats it for today, back to work and read more on RS :)

Rini

Wednesday day 326

Wednesday is an relax day for dad. Mom is taking the oldest for swimming class.
The youngest still sleeping. So quickly all stuff on the kitchen table some fresh coffee. And go!

Results for the past week after an small water change of 25 liters or 6,60430131 gallon.

dKH 11.0
Nitrate 2
Phosphate 0,36
Calsium 450
Magnesium 1600
Salt 35

dKH remains around 11,0. Dosing currently 75 ml red sea reef foundation B.

Nitrate remains the same level as last week. Phosphate is a bit rising. Will keep an eye on that. For now I keep the 8ml Nopox dose per day.

Calsium & Magnesium are both higher, no surprise after an waterchange. Calsium a bit higher as last week. Part due the waterchange and daily dose of 10 red sea reef foundation A.
Magnesium is basically no surprise, this ALWAYS go through the roof after an water change.

Salt 35. This was coming from 36. Before the waterchange.

Currently the weather getting better here in The Netherlands, we had a few days summer. This means that during the day when the temp goes above 20c (68F) I power on the back rear fans during the day.
This will keep the temp around 25 - 28C (77-82.4F).
No chiller here. And no intention to get one.

More pictures will come soon. Currently the lights are still out. 09.27 AM here.
Preparing for work, and coffee :eek:)

Dosings per day the coming week:

Red sea reef foundation A : 10 ml
Red sea reef foundation B : 75 ml

NOPOX : 8 ml

Red sea reef energy A & B : 3 ML

Red sea Coral colors : A & C & D : 1 ml

And this week 20 ml Microbe special blend. Each 2 weeks 20 ml

thats all.

Rini

Day 334.
Just a few more weeks and we celebrate the first year of our Max.

Past tuesday we have done an water change of 35 liters (9,24 gallon).

IMG_2537.JPG

Evolving from jerrycans to an bathtub. Fits 35 liters water. Easy to add the heater and circulation pump. We had 1 tub new bathtub in the barn. It came with some furniture few years ago. We never used it. So I thought, let me try for water change. And it works pretty well.

After the water change water testing is always an surprise.

dKH 11.5
Nitrate 3
Phosphate 0,24
Ca 450
MG 1600+

dKH remains around 11.5. Still dosing 75 ml rs foundation B per day currently
Nitrate went from 2 -> 3.
Phosphate came down a bit. Was between 0,32 & 0,16, so made the 0,24
CA 450 is pretty stable at the moment. Dosing 10 ml foundation A per day.
MG 1600+ again out of the roof after an water change. :(

At the moment I'm struggling with the high MG. It just seems not to go down.
When it goes about below the 1600, I do an water change, and bam back to 1600+.
What I see is that the tank is not suffering, everything is doing well.

Currently planning to expand our CUC. Noticed that I do not see that much slugs anymore.
I'm thinking to get a few hermits to, they have an huge fun factor.

Small impression of the tank. Did record the movie after some maintenance in the tank.. Not the smartest time to record an movie as you will see.... particals floating around.. And the ligths just powered on, so most corals are in night mode :) Next time I record during the day....

Further everything seems to go well. Corals growing nice. The pumping Xenia need to be cut again. That stuff grows soo fast.

What do I dose in the morning:

Rs reef foundation A : 10 ml per day (CA /SR)
Rs reef foundation B : 75 ml per day (dKH)
Nopox : 8 mp per day.
Rs reef energy A & B : 3 ml per day
Coral colors ACD : 1 ml per letter per day. Not dosing B, since Kalium is high enough, over 400.

Thats all to keep everybody happy in the tank. No refugium, or reactors, no dosing pumps, no extra circulation pumps. For us this setup works very well.
We dose in the morning when we come out of bed before work, and then done for the day.
Feeding time is mostly when the lights goes on, or later during the day when we are at work early.

Thats all fur the thursday. Preparing for work.
Thanks for reading.

Just a few pictures.

Our nemo's using the flower as new home. Really want an nem again for them soon.

IMG_2544.JPG

Our mushroom I got as TINY frag from my niece is doing very well. It was the size of a nail when I got it some months ago.
IMG_2546.JPG

Our comic duo. Goob & Shrimp.

IMG_2548.JPG

Rini

And then you wake up because the oldest daughter is lying in your bed at 05:52 in the morning.
Papa ik wil naar benee : Dad I want to go downstairs... So lets do that. Watch a bit tv, playing iPad. And dad made some coffee. And started to test the water at 06:30.

Yesterday we did an waterchange of 35 liters, 9,24 gallon.
The day after is always an surprise. To be honest, not anymore. Standard the MG goes through the roof.
And an surprise did happen : mg not through the roof! :)
dKH 11.5
Nitrate 2
Phosphate 0,16
Ca 410
MG 1560. Yes, did double check that it was below the 1600.

dkh:
Not much to add. Tank is using it pretty well.

Nitrate:
Is coming down from 3. Normaly I change the dosing of the nopox. And then slowly Climbing up again to 3 or so. For now I keep the current dosing to see if it will stay around the 2 or go down.

Phosphate:
This is coming down as well. Was last time 0,24. Now it is around 0,16. Think a bit lower. Did an early testing today.

Calsium:
Seems that the tank is started to use more CA. It has go down from 440 to 450. While I kept dosing the 10 ml reef foundation A. So must adjust to get this a bit up.

Magnesium:
Seems the tank is a bit using, since it is now since some time that it is below the 1600.

Exciting photos in the early morning.

IMG_0019(2).JPG IMG_0020 (2).JPG IMG_0021(2).JPG