Reefmack's RSM 130

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Tom - Sorry, but I didn't think to take any. I should have done that, plus measured the footprint, but I had a lot of things going at the same time and forgot. But it looks almost identical to Greg's except my 2 pumps are located side by side on the cylinder. Here's Greg's picture:

Skikmmer2.jpg

tnwillia

Thanks Terry, trying to figure out if I can get one in my Fuge return side. I was wondering about the added adjuster on the side. Now that I see this I think I saw it before but I couldn't find it the last few days. Thanks again!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Tom - see what Robbert comes up with, based on the footprint space you have available. If he has to make the cyclinder smaller for that 5" water level maybe it could be a one pump skimmer? That would save some space.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Looking good Terry. I saw that you were talking about cpe not long ago. I have just replaced my stock carbon with cpe (thanks to your advice), and have noticed that it floats around a fair bit. Does this matter or should I have it weighed down to make it more effective? I have 2 units in there.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It retains air for a while, but usually will sink. Saying that, I did once have a bag of it float up and plug up the inlets of my 130 circ. pumps. I think the bags sometimes trap air coming through the system and float up. Maybe weigh it down with a small piece of rock?

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Cheers Terry. The old RS carbon used to float up all the time and block flow to the no.1 pump. I had to be careful when checking my water level as it would often show up low because of the floating carbon. The CPE bags are much smaller so don't restrict water flow at all. I just wasn't sure if they were as effective when they float.

Conched

Terry - I see you have your Acans on the bottom, that is where i just moved mine, seems like they don't like too much light.

By the way your tank is one of the best I have seen on this forum.

Matt

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Leigh - they might not be 100% effective floating, unless the flow is still going through the media in the bag.

Thanks Matt. I agree the acans don't seem to like intense light. One of my colonies did better when I moved it back into a bit more shade. The other seems to like more light. But, in my case, with a MH light they seem to prefer the bottom.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Winter Storm Update

We made it through the winter storm OK and no loss of power. I looked out the window at 2:30am and everything was covered with a thin sheet of shiny ice (freezing rain) and by the time I got up at 6am we had an inch of sleet pellets (rain frozen before it gets to the ground). Treacherous driving as it won't get above freezing till tomorrow or Monday. It looks like snow, but it's all sleet:

Sleet_1_30_09.jpg

The storm is just about through now. It won't be the "warm sunny south" for a while!

Dweezil

Terry ~ Hopefully you have everything you need in the house today and will not have to go out for anything. Sounds like a great weekend to curl up on the couch with some nice hot coffee.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yep - we did the grocery shopping Thursday to beat the pre-storm rush on Friday! Down here it seems like there's always a big rush to buy bread and milk before a storm, and the stores often run out of those LOL!

Dweezil

Good for you...I know I would rather have 4 feet of snow than an inch of ice!
Ice is bad news and it seems like you guys down in the southern states are more prone to the ice. I love the snow (good thing we get a lot of it) but I like it between Dec and Feb not Nov thru April which is sometimes the case haha

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
We've been lucky so far and this is the first frozen precip. we've had. The sleet isn't that bad compared to the rain that freezes when it hits the ground & trees. When we get a half inch or more of clear ice on everything that's when the trees come down and power goes out. As I'm sure you know, the sleet bounces off of things till it lands on the ground - a blessing versus the other type of ice! But, yes - snow is better! I was kinda looking forward to snow - it's prettier!

redsea reefer

Nice pic Terry, Last night I heard on the news that the Carolinas will be hit with a snow storm and you were the first thing that came to mind. Glad things are fine.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Eddie - there's a lot more snow the farther north you go from me - even just a few miles north got more snow, and towards the north part of the state more like a foot of snow.

BigAl in the mountains west of me got hit with heavy snow again, and it was still coming down this morning. I got lucky being on the bottom & eastern edge of the really heavy snow.

Arreola

Terry - Nice Pic. I wonder if you got the feeling that you need to go running in the streets whit nothing but your tiger thong.. LOL

Now the serious part. I am glad that everything is ok for you in that kind of weather.
Have a good weekend.